Author Topic: Trans rights: a perspective  (Read 122040 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Trans rights: a perspective
« Reply #1275 on: September 29, 2021, 09:31:14 PM »
Presumably the recommended treatment in such cases does not involve amputations?
Logically the affirmation approach of the dominant strand of TRAs would. As it would on agreeing with anorexics that they are 'too fat'.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #1276 on: September 30, 2021, 07:21:47 AM »
Interesting article from today's Guardian about the issues surrounding competitive sports and new guidelines.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/29/new-guidelines-for-transgender-participation-unveiled-by-uk-sports-councils

The difference in performance, even at the lower range of 10-12%, is not small in terms of competitive outcomes,” they add. “It would result in Adam Peaty being beaten by half the pool length in a short-course 100m breaststroke competition, Dina Asher-Smith by more than 20m in the 200m track sprint, and Sir Mo Farah being lapped twice in the 10,000m track race.

“As a result of what the review found, the guidance concludes that the inclusion of transgender people into female sport cannot be balanced regarding transgender inclusion, fairness and safety in gender-affected sport where there is meaningful competition.”
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 07:24:00 AM by Gordon »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1277 on: September 30, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »
Interesting article from today's Guardian about the issues surrounding competitive sports and new guidelines.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/sep/29/new-guidelines-for-transgender-participation-unveiled-by-uk-sports-councils
Why is there any reason for trying to get doped athletes with a delusion to compete in the first place?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 08:52:35 AM by Nearly Sane »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #1278 on: September 30, 2021, 09:08:47 AM »
Why is there any question of trying to get doped athletes with a delusion to compete in the first place?

Taking into account what this report confirms: that biological males who go through puberty as males will, even with testosterone suppression etc, always have certain physical advantages over biological females, it does seem utterly bizarre that anyone wouldn't see those advantages as being unfair in competitive sport. The situation, as mentioned in the article, where top-flight international female football teams get comprehensively beaten by teams of 14/15 year old boys is a practical illustration of the folly of concluding that biological males can compete on equal terms with biological females in sporting events where physique is a factor.

'Trans' people can certainly choose how they prefer to live their lives: but they don't get to retrospectively choose their biological sex, and in my view it is foolishness to think otherwise. The notion that 'trans women' are women is a denial of reality unless 'women' is redefined to exclude any reference to biological sex, and as the issues surrounding 'trans' participation in competitive sport shows (as per this report) reality cannot be subverted by wishful thinking.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #1279 on: September 30, 2021, 09:56:11 AM »
Thank you, Gordon, for expressing my own thoughts almost exactly.

Just as a matter of interest, this "debate" has now been going on for some time - but I cannot recall seeing anywhere any discussion of the scale of the  trans "problem". As a percentage of the population, how many people are we talking about? What is the proportion in the population of adult males who undergo some kind of physical conversion into approximations of female bodies and of unaltered males who feel the need to express themselves as feminine? My suspicion is that it is - considering the current quantity of media time devoted to it - very small.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #1280 on: September 30, 2021, 10:29:03 AM »
Thank you, Gordon, for expressing my own thoughts almost exactly.

Just as a matter of interest, this "debate" has now been going on for some time - but I cannot recall seeing anywhere any discussion of the scale of the  trans "problem". As a percentage of the population, how many people are we talking about? What is the proportion in the population of adult males who undergo some kind of physical conversion into approximations of female bodies and of unaltered males who feel the need to express themselves as feminine? My suspicion is that it is - considering the current quantity of media time devoted to it - very small.
Just done a Google survey. Estimates of the proportion of people in the population range from 0.1% to 2%. I found one rigorous study done in Brazil which quoted 0.69% for that country.

That's "identifying as trans" i.e. people who say they are. I can't give you an answer on how many people undergo what forms of medical treatment.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1282 on: September 30, 2021, 04:21:19 PM »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #1283 on: September 30, 2021, 04:32:27 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1284 on: September 30, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1286 on: October 02, 2021, 10:02:24 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1287 on: October 02, 2021, 02:13:20 PM »
Laurel Hubbard named University of Otago's Sportswoman of the Year!

https://www.rt.com/sport/536420-laurel-hubbard-new-zealand-sportswoman-year/
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 03:56:39 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1288 on: October 02, 2021, 05:16:53 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1289 on: October 04, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1290 on: October 05, 2021, 10:58:52 AM »
A couple of high profile trans doctors (trans both in the sense that they are trans and treat trans patients) question current practice.

https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/top-trans-doctors-blow-the-whistle
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 11:07:19 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1291 on: October 05, 2021, 11:39:34 AM »
And looks like the Scottish census will be out of kilter as regards the meaning of the sex question (though I expect this might have the courts involved)

https://archive.is/axgIA

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1292 on: October 05, 2021, 01:25:22 PM »
Brilliant blog from one concerned parent, who is also a clinical psychologist, on the treatment of their daughter.

https://pitt.substack.com/p/to-my-daughters-therapist-you-were

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1293 on: October 05, 2021, 03:53:28 PM »
Madness

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1294 on: October 05, 2021, 09:34:38 PM »
The gaslighting of women on 'single sex' wards!

https://archive.is/GO8om

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1296 on: October 06, 2021, 06:06:37 PM »
Badge assessor.

https://twitter.com/LGBTSwitchboard/status/1445751812850520078?t=mSzxKo-2axTb8IRmMZR49w&s=19

What is a badge assessor?

I don't understand why such a post is necessary if I understand the job title correctly. Badges in the NHS used to be fairly straightforward and generic. Mine had a photo of me (looking like a convict, we all looked like convicts) the hospital trust logo, my name, and my job title.

Is anything else needed?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1297 on: October 07, 2021, 10:12:48 AM »

I don't understand why such a post is necessary if I understand the job title correctly. Badges in the NHS used to be fairly straightforward and generic. Mine had a photo of me (looking like a convict, we all looked like convicts) the hospital trust logo, my name, and my job title.

Is anything else needed?

Some details

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1298 on: October 07, 2021, 10:25:45 AM »

Is anything else needed?

I think it's more like an award to an NHS Trust. If you meet certain criteria with your policy wrt LBGTQ+ people you can display a rainbow badge on your web site or whatever.

https://www.switchboard.org.uk/were-recruiting-nhs-rainbow-badge-assessor/

Be quick though. Get your application in by the end of the month so you can be ready for the interview three days from today. (They put October instead of November. Not sure I'd want to work for an organisation that can't be bothered to proof read its own job advertisements.)

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #1299 on: October 07, 2021, 10:34:37 AM »
I think it's more like an award to an NHS Trust. If you meet certain criteria with your policy wrt LBGTQ+ people you can display a rainbow badge on your web site or whatever.

https://www.switchboard.org.uk/were-recruiting-nhs-rainbow-badge-assessor/

Be quick though. Get your application in by the end of the month so you can be ready for the interview three days from today. (They put October instead of November. Not sure I'd want to work for an organisation that can't be bothered to proof read its own job advertisements.)
Exactly.

The Rainbow Badge is an award scheme that NHS Trusts can apply for on the basis of their policies and commitments to equality and inclusion for LBGTQ+.

The job in question isn't in the NHS at all, but is for a charitable organisation that is involved in the award of the Badges to NHS Trusts - and their role is largely to support the trusts in developing inclusive policies and practices and also in assessing applications for Badge-holder status, hence 'assessor'.

Frankly there are any number of schemes of this nature based on an organisations committing to improvements, actions etc and then delivering on them, and in return getting a Badge/Award to go on websites, communications etc etc. No one forces an organisation to apply, but many choose to do as they recognise that it helps them to improve their own practices and also develops profile and trust from certain groups in society, providing the 'badge' itself has a level of recognition and I would have though the rainbow branding in terms of LBGTQ+ is very well recognised.

Why is that an issue.