Author Topic: Trans rights: a perspective  (Read 121879 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Trans rights: a perspective
« Reply #1400 on: December 10, 2021, 08:57:17 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1401 on: December 12, 2021, 03:17:25 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1402 on: December 14, 2021, 12:43:34 PM »
'Right side of history' My arse!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1403 on: December 14, 2021, 01:00:24 PM »

I saw this elsewhere - it is horrific. I don't want to be part of this so-called human race anymore.

And I know it's not the same as genocide of the Uighurs or any of the other atrocities being perpetrated as I type, but it's all part of the same shitty little human animals behaviour.

In my darker moments, and I have had more than my fair share lately, I think to myself, come on Covid come up with the ideal number of  mutations and finish us off and leave the planet to the other animals that deserve it much more than we do.

Pathetic creatures that we are.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #1404 on: December 14, 2021, 03:26:18 PM »
From the stats it seems consistently over the years 99% of sex offenders in prison are male, and the 2017 figures showed 88% of those sexually offended against were female.

The proportion of transwomen sex offenders seem worryingly high. It shows 58.9% of transwomen prisoners (they only have stats for those without a GRC I think) are sex offenders. The percentage of female sex offenders out of female prisoners is 3.3%.

These stats not really very convincing that transwomen are women.

The percentage of male prisoners who are sex offenders is 16.8%.

https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/18973/pdf/ What have MPs been saying about this? I wrote to my Labour MP to ask. 

I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #1405 on: December 16, 2021, 07:12:07 PM »
I think that reply has already been deleted. At least I couldn't find it on the thread.

As for the sentiment expressed, I think JK Rowling already knows what it feels like.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1406 on: December 16, 2021, 07:49:58 PM »
I think that reply has already been deleted. At least I couldn't find it on the thread.

As for the sentiment expressed, I think JK Rowling already knows what it feels like.
One of the reasons I posted the picture

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1407 on: December 17, 2021, 10:50:04 AM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1408 on: December 18, 2021, 07:03:29 PM »
#IStandWithRosieKay

https://unherd.com/2021/12/my-body-will-never-be-erased/

Things haven't worked out well

https://rosiekay.co.uk/about-rkdc/

We have concluded that it is necessary to close RKDC
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1409 on: December 20, 2021, 12:48:05 PM »
Scouts Association apologises to Maya Forstater

https://archive.vn/aQunR

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1410 on: December 20, 2021, 01:01:40 PM »
Scouts Association apologises to Maya Forstater

https://archive.vn/aQunR

If your name is Gregor, people are going to refer to you as "he" on occasion. It's just a mistake. Also, if you refer to people with whom you disagree as scum, you kind of lose the high ground.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #1411 on: December 20, 2021, 04:02:18 PM »
A small victory for common sense.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-59727118

Quote from: Harry Miller
Being offensive is not, and cannot and should not be an offence. Only when speech turns to malicious communication or targeted harassment against an individual should it be a problem.

Christine

« Reply #1412 on: December 22, 2021, 03:54:24 PM »
The consultation on the Conversion Therapy (Prohibition) bill (https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/2939 ) has been extended by 8 weeks. It was previously scheduled to have a consultation period of just 6 weeks, half the normal time. The bill equates attempts to alter sexual orientation with psychological therapy for people with ‘gender identity’ issues. I have written to my female Labour MP with my views and received a very disheartening answer.

She refused me permission to share her reply, but this is part of what I wrote to her:

“…To suggest that children who do not conform to gender stereotypes should be supported in having their bodies altered so that they do conform to the stereotype is incredibly regressive and the most extreme form of “conversion therapy” I can imagine.

I do not understand why the bill lumps together LGB and T as if they are the same.  Sexual orientation is innate and linked to biological sex, which according to biologists cannot be changed. [People with gender identity issues] should more realistically be compared with people with other forms of body dysphoria.  If an individual asks a doctor to amputate a healthy limb because of dysphoria, I would hope that every alternative short of surgery would be explored before any doctor would agree to carry out the procedure.  Young people suffering from anorexia don’t have their unrealistic view of themselves and their bodies affirmed by their therapists because that would kill them, quickly.  Puberty blockers and wrong-sex hormones don’t kill the patient quickly and the physical damage is usually hidden from view, but they do have extremely serious long-term, irreversible impacts on once healthy bodies.

“Trans rights” activists have no consistent definition of what gender is or means.  The justification for medicalising and mutilating young people seems to be that humans know what “gender” they are from as young as two years old and it’s a real thing and with the individual for life.  Except when they want to allow people (mainly men) to identify as woman one day and man the next, because they are “gender fluid”.  Gender identity cannot be both fixed and fluid.  You can’t base laws on this kind of irrational, internally contradictory, ideology.”

I asked her a few follow up questions she hasn’t answered but they relate more to self-ID.

I’d encourage people to write to their MPs about this. The transgender lobby have subverted a bill which ought to have been uncontentious. A similar approach was used in RoI to get self-ID into law via the equal marriage act.

If you can bear it, there is a woman on You Tube called Exulansic who talks knowledgeably about the medical details and the consequences for once healthy young people, commenting on Tik Tok videos they post themselves and dissecting I Am Jazz, an American TV show.

This is a link to an interview two previously enthusiastic gender doctors gave recently https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/top-trans-doctors-blow-the-whistle

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1413 on: December 22, 2021, 05:50:00 PM »
Hi Christine (good to see you posting again :) )

Thank you for that thoughtful post. I will probably pinch some of it to write to my MP.

If she is refusing you permission to share her thoughts on this then that points to a very disturbing attitude.

Why should an elected representatives views on a matter of public interest be withheld?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1414 on: December 22, 2021, 06:26:51 PM »
Perhaps not surprisingly, I've written to my MP, and had what sounds like a similar reply as Christine. It's not my first letter on this to the MP, and in addition I paid for a copy of Helen Joyce's book to sent to my MP.

Christine

« Reply #1415 on: December 22, 2021, 06:43:46 PM »
Hi Trent,

She said she had replied to me as a constituent, confidentially. I agree that elected representatives should be happy to have their views on the public record, but I’ve checked (the legal expert that is the internet) and I’m not allowed to share without her permission. I think I can say that I won’t be voting for her at the next election. I don’t know who I will be voting for, mind, I seem to be politically homeless at the moment.

😕 this too will pass… But how many people will be hurt in the meantime?

Re self-ID - imagine giving evidence against your rapist in court, knowing that if the person you are being compelled to call ‘she’ is convicted, they’ll be sent to prison with a captive pool of vulnerable potential victims. It makes me sick to think of it. I have no explanation as to why people I would otherwise be politically aligned with think this is a good idea. Have predatory men not demonstrated that they will use any available route to access their prey?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1416 on: December 22, 2021, 06:51:56 PM »
Hi Christine

I was aware that they could withhold correspondence, but I thought that was perhaps for matters of a personal/confidential matters relating to constituents. That she is using it to block her views on a given topic is, to me, worrying.

As to the political homelessness, a feeling I am also getting used to.

Your last comment, exactly. Who the hell are they frightened of upsetting?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1417 on: December 23, 2021, 07:30:53 AM »
This is an blog about an ongoing discussion/spat in the 'gender critical' movement about how we use language about those claiming to be trans that sums up a lot of my position.

https://savageminds.substack.com/p/language-and-the-gender-debate?justPublished=true

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #1418 on: December 23, 2021, 04:36:45 PM »
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Christine

« Reply #1421 on: December 24, 2021, 10:00:21 AM »
This by Caroline Noakes, a local Conservative MP, seems reasonable:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/23/why-am-i-being-abused-for-trying-to-improve-gender-recognition-process

As does the inquiry report itself, though I haven't read the detail n full:

https://committees.parliament.uk/work/658/reform-of-the-gender-recognition-act/publications/

Caroline Nokes appears to think nobody would ever lie about how they self-identify. Have predatory men not demonstrated clearly enough that they will exploit any loophole, any lack of vigilance, any failure of safeguarding, to access their prey? Don’t the (presumably well-meaning) people endorsing this insanity read the news?

Of course, once men can get their crimes recorded as committed by women, there’ll probably be no evidence base to show that men commit most violent crimes.  Problem solved. Likewise, if my male bosses can declare they are now women, hey presto! No need to worry about that pesky institutionalised sexism any more.

And of course, if a man can jettison his lifetime of male privilege and become a member of the “most oppressed” by reciting the correct creed and demanding other people address him as ‘she/her’, the reverse must be true. Women in Afghanistan must be pleased to hear that they can self-identify out of their burkas.

I’ve not spoken to anyone in real life who is in favour of self-ID, once they know what it means.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1423 on: December 25, 2021, 09:38:56 AM »
Mostly it is a good article except for a fairly obvious bit of political bias:

When people, mainly left-wing men, ask why JK Rowling has “ruined her legacy” by tweeting against the gender ideology which is now orthodoxy in liberal politics, trade unions, academia and so-called human rights bodies, I answer: because she’s a goat.

It isn't a left wing /right wing split, neither in my experience is it a male/female divide.

She kind of undermines her argument anyway by then going on the offensive over that well known left wing man, Caroline Noakes.

I agree with the general thrust of the argument in defence of JKR but their is a little too much political colouring for my liking.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1424 on: December 25, 2021, 10:10:24 AM »
Mostly it is a good article except for a fairly obvious bit of political bias:

It isn't a left wing /right wing split, neither in my experience is it a male/female divide.

She kind of undermines her argument anyway by then going on the offensive over that well known left wing man, Caroline Noakes.

I agree with the general thrust of the argument in defence of JKR but their is a little too much political colouring for my liking.
Disagree. Those that I have seen in the main (and Turner says mainly) questioning Rowling in reply to her tweets about throwing away her legacy are left wing, often have BLM in their bios and the biggest group are left wing men with beards. Note Noakes is in no sense a counter argument here since the left wing men comment was  specifically about those commenting that Rowling was throwing away her legacy.

It isn't purely a left vs right wing matter but those speaking up against gender woo in the Tories are mainstream and not widely vilified by those in their own parties. In the Greens, SNP, Labour, and Lid Dems, those speaking up against it are outliers and receive oceans of abuse from within their own parties that are then ignored by the leadership of those parties.