Author Topic: 87th Precinct  (Read 680 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
87th Precinct
« on: August 21, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »
A chance tweet from a friend lead 3 of us to discover that we are big fans of Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels. That discussion was in turn picked up by the person running the page below which is a set of podcasts on the books. Looking forward to listening to these,

http://hark87podcast.blogspot.com/

Owlswing

Re: 87th Precinct
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 01:05:24 AM »

B****y Hell!

I really don't want to think about how many years it has ben since I last read an Ed McBain!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »
A couple of years ago, I went back and read them in order. I think they do lose a bit of quality in the later books but overall it's an extraordinary series. The set up was hugely influential in huge numbers of police shows.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 11:19:33 AM »
I read 87th Precinct when I was a teen - they were great! I was thinking about those books the other day as I went into the same library I used to go into after school to hunt for another book in the series . Going to the library seems like such a special event for me these days as it so rarely happens.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 11:29:46 AM »
I never go these days, but I remember the excitement when I was old enough to join the junior library and then the adult library. I too first read them from the library and then as the new ones came out would buy them. The stories are excellently plotted and I think I fell a little in love with Steve and Teddy Carella.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:39:41 AM by Nearly Sane »

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 03:17:05 PM »
I actually went to the library to get a Maths GCSE text book for my younger daughter. I figured some practice at home before school starts would make Maths easier and therefore more enjoyable. But the first thing I thought of when I looked through the library window was the 87th Precinct books and Steve Carella.

The characters really opened my eyes to adult life and relationships through my teens- though not sure how realistic they were.  I sometimes catch the odd re-run of Cagney and Lacey, which were on around the same time I read 87th Precinct books and not sure how realistic that was either.

Teddy was deaf right? That reminds me - the Deaf Man was a criminal mastermind who kept showing up. And Bert Kling had some good story lines. I still remember the story where Carella was kept prisoner and forcibly injected with heroin, though I don't think that was anything to do with the Deaf Man. Wonder what I would think of it all if I read the books now.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 03:42:10 PM »
For when they were written the books stand up quite well in dealing with adult relationships/ And yep Teddy and the Deaf Man as being mirrors is important in the books. The Deaf Man is also hugely influential for villains in books. Hannibal Lector owes something to the Deaf Man. The book with Carella being injected with heroin is Doll

Owlswing

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 03:28:09 AM »

I never go these days, but I remember the excitement when I was old enough to join the junior library and then the adult library. I too first read them from the library and then as the new ones came out would buy them. The stories are excellently plotted and I think I fell a little in love with Steve and Teddy Carella.

Teddy, a lovely lady, sadly deaf (or was it blind? Curse my lousy memory!).

The lady with the beautiful butterfly tattoo on her shoulder.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!