Author Topic: Oxford/Cambridge Expressway  (Read 627 times)

Rhiannon

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Oxford/Cambridge Expressway
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 10:36:53 AM »
I think the question for those supporting this would be 'What problem is it trying to solve?'

Rhiannon

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:11:12 AM »
Housing shortages?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »
Housing shortages?
Except the numbers seem ridiculously high, and then as the article points out, fails as a solution in terms of feasibility. It has all the hallmarks of a 'wizard wheeze'.

Rhiannon

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »
Except the numbers seem ridiculously high, and then as the article points out, fails as a solution in terms of feasibility. It has all the hallmarks of a 'wizard wheeze'.

Yes, a huge number of houses, dumped in one place.

I can't believe that it will happen. The costs in terms of schools, hospitals, roads and other infrastructure...all borne by a few local authorities, most Oxfordshire by the looks of it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »
I’m a little bit confused. Given the locations of Oxford and Cambridge, it seems to me that “the region” is the South East of England. Why do we need new transport in SE England? It seems pretty well served already to me. As for the houses, a million sounds like rather a lot. It’s a bit like building another city half the size of London.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 08:44:31 PM »
I am now picturing Dr Evil as a govt minister declaring 'We will build a MILLION homes' but that actually being a stupendously large number, and him not being really evil enough to be a govt minister.