Author Topic: Measles outbreaks in Europe  (Read 982 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Measles outbreaks in Europe
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:32:46 PM »
And yet people still tout Wakefield's dangerous nonsense

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45246049

Harrowby Hall

Re: Measles outbreaks in Europe
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:50:55 PM »
With a vaccine preventable disease, one case is one too many,

How true.

Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45294192

According to researchers in the USA, the Russian Fake News Machine has been sowing discord.

Amended to correct egregious spelling error
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:42:06 PM by Harrowby Hall »
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 10:37:02 AM »
I often feel with social media that there is a pull to the extreme in discussions, as in a sort of adaptation of Gresham's Law, harsh opinions drive out subtle ones, so I can see how this might work as a tactic. If we relate it to the Labour Party currently which is focussed on its own troubles, then certainly some parts of the MSM are engaged in this sort of approach. It is rather like the warriors sprung from dragon's teeth in Greek mythology, doomed to fight amongst themselves after a stone is thrown into their midst.

Roses

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:58:00 AM »
It is awful that people have thought twice about getting their children vaccinated, because of the autism scare. As I have mentioned before, our middle daughter didn't have her eldest lad (16) vaccinated when young, he is the only one of our five grandchildren to be diagnosed with autism, the others were vaccinated.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Robbie

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 01:04:11 PM »
Which just goes to show that a person can be diagnosed with autism even when not vaccinated against measles! Has he been vaccinated since? Apparently measles is worse in adults.

Children can still have measles even if they are vaccinated (one of mine did), but it is a very mild dose, she was better in no time.

I never thought twice about the MMR vaccine, did know someone whose child reacted badly to it, poor little lad had all sorts of spots and weals on his face and felt rotten but he recovered quickly.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Roses

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 01:41:37 PM »
Which just goes to show that a person can be diagnosed with autism even when not vaccinated against measles! Has he been vaccinated since? Apparently measles is worse in adults.

Children can still have measles even if they are vaccinated (one of mine did), but it is a very mild dose, she was better in no time.

I never thought twice about the MMR vaccine, did know someone whose child reacted badly to it, poor little lad had all sorts of spots and weals on his face and felt rotten but he recovered quickly.

I believe he was vaccinated when our daughter realised the scare story was without validity, his brother had the vaccine as a young child. 

Robbie

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 02:32:49 PM »
I was wondering, do the vaccinations ever need to be repeated in adulthood? For example if a person travels a lot or works with sick people. I know that is often done for smallpox and the BCG for TB. Just wondering.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Roses

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »
I was wondering, do the vaccinations ever need to be repeated in adulthood? For example if a person travels a lot or works with sick people. I know that is often done for smallpox and the BCG for TB. Just wondering.

I think the MMR is a one off. Of course many people of my age have had measles as kids, not a pleasant experience, if I remember rightly! :o

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 03:07:33 PM »
Not as such, the issue is more that many people dependent on age won't have received the two doses of MMR that are now given, since Rubella part wasn't common till late 70s, and the Mumps bit till late 80s. Also some people may not have received both doses for whatever reason.

ekim

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 03:11:49 PM »
If you have had chicken pox, there is a shingles vaccine for the over 70's.

Roses

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 03:23:02 PM »
If you have had chicken pox, there is a shingles vaccine for the over 70's.

You are eligible for it whether or not you have had chickenpox apparently, as you can still contact shingles.