Author Topic: Salmond denies sexual misconduct allegations  (Read 49530 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Salmond denies sexual misconduct allegations
« Reply #625 on: February 07, 2021, 03:07:55 PM »
Does he? He used that term in the manner of a hypothetical:

'It is perfectly possible to think that Salmond is yesterday's dick, and that the Scottish govt and civil service have been at the very least completely incompetent.'

Just because it is possible to think that someone can think both of those things doesn't mean he, personally, thinks either of them. We need to wait for NS to say that he actually thinks that Salmond is yesterday's dick.
I made that accusation in reply 573, based on my interpretations of his comments on this thread up to that point. I may, of course, have missed it, but can you show me where NS has said he thinks Salmond is yesterday's dick in his comments up to that point please.
Still avoiding all my quotes that I put up about Salmond I se. Why is that?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #626 on: February 07, 2021, 03:08:10 PM »
I think your judgement appears to be clouded by bias.
Says the person who in one of the more bizarre posts on this thread stated that she was biased in favour of Salmond.

When you are biased, as you have admitted you are, it is easy to see someone else's neutrality as biased.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 03:30:51 PM by ProfessorDavey »

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #627 on: February 07, 2021, 07:06:39 PM »
Does he? He used that term in the manner of a hypothetical:

'It is perfectly possible to think that Salmond is yesterday's dick, and that the Scottish govt and civil service have been at the very least completely incompetent.'

Just because it is possible to think that someone can think both of those things doesn't mean he, personally, thinks either of them. We need to wait for NS to say that he actually thinks that Salmond is yesterday's dick.
I made that accusation in reply 573, based on my interpretations of his comments on this thread up to that point. I may, of course, have missed it, but can you show me where NS has said he thinks Salmond is yesterday's dick in his comments up to that point please.
I think you're really reaching with this line of argument.

I interpret NS's various comments and posts on this thread as him not being a Salmond fan though there may be instances where, like me, he agrees with Salmond on certain points, and disagrees with him on others. I don't need NS to jump through any particular hoops. You're free to interpret comments how you want. Your simplistic, black and white, either you're for Salmond on everything or against Salmond on everything line of argument doesn't seem very convincing to me, and I think displays bias rather than neutrality.

I prefer a more nuanced approach where there are some things Salmond gets right and some things Sturgeon gets right, and as the judicial review and subsequent inquiries show, there are some things Sturgeon appears to get wrong and Salmond gets wrong. One of the articles NS linked to certainly said Salmond was invading people's personal space and he could have been a better man but the courts did not find he had passed the threshold of criminality.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #628 on: February 07, 2021, 07:10:00 PM »
Says the person who in one of the more bizarre posts on this thread stated that she was biased in favour of Salmond.

When you are biased, as you have admitted you are, it is easy to see someone else's neutrality as biased.
You'll have to refresh my memory by posting a link to the post you are referring to. Given your previous quote-mining and your dubious interpretation of NS's posts I would need to read my comment in its entirety in order to first figure out if you are interpreting my post in the way that I meant it, and in what context I wrote it, and what specific points it was addressing.   
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #629 on: February 08, 2021, 07:22:28 PM »

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #630 on: February 11, 2021, 10:28:04 PM »

As you have not linked to the post you are referring to, nor withdrawn the comment, I can only assume you were lying when you said I had admitted to being biased.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #631 on: February 12, 2021, 04:48:37 PM »
Sturgeon's appearance before the committee postponed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56045653

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #632 on: February 14, 2021, 04:21:17 PM »
And one of Salmond's accusers speaks about the process

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56028750

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #633 on: February 18, 2021, 09:14:44 AM »
My feeling is that this is now so convoluted in what's going on that most people have zoned out on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56103277
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:43:01 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #635 on: February 18, 2021, 06:49:34 PM »
Salmond statement to be allowed to be published

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56118452

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #637 on: February 21, 2021, 01:49:09 PM »
Iain MacWhirter on the inquiry

https://archive.is/wAT6v

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #639 on: February 22, 2021, 08:12:20 PM »
From Salmond's latest submission to the inquiry:

‘The inescapable conclusion is of a malicious and concerted attempt to damage my reputation and remove me from public life in Scotland’

I think we have moved on from a failure to communicate.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #640 on: February 23, 2021, 09:55:51 AM »

Now the Crown Office has told the Scottish Govt to remove Dapmond's submission from website.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/crown-office-urges-parliament-remove-23548487.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #641 on: February 23, 2021, 10:04:33 AM »
Link to the submission - who knows for how long

https://t.co/IgU5QIlxm0?amp=1

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #642 on: February 23, 2021, 11:02:05 AM »
Another twist - wonder if his appearance tomorrow will happen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56167956

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #643 on: February 23, 2021, 12:06:24 PM »

Apparently now removed and will be put up later with redactions.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #644 on: February 23, 2021, 12:25:10 PM »
Link to the submission - who knows for how long

https://t.co/IgU5QIlxm0?amp=1
Very interesting. Especially Page 6 -8. This in particular:

When the fact of it was discovered by the Government’s external Counsel (and even
after the duty of candour was explained to government lawyers by them on November
2nd and then by the court on November 6th , both 2018) the attempt was still made in
pleadings to present it as “welfare” contact.

The documents which demonstrated this to be false had to be extracted from the
Government by a Commission and Diligence procedure under the authority of the
court as granted by Lord Pentland. The documents then produced under that
procedure emerged despite the Government being willing to certify to the Court that
these documents simply did not exist. That conduct is outrageous for a Government.

At the Commission itself, Senior Counsel for the Government (himself blameless for
the debacle) felt compelled to apologise to the court repeatedly as new batches of
documents emerged.

It is highly probable that had this documentation not been concealed from the court
(and from the Governments own counsel) the falsity of the Government’s pleadings
would have been avoided. The fact that even after the Government case collapsed,
misinformation then appeared in both a press release from the Permanent Secretary
and the First Minister’s statement to Parliament of 8th January 2019 speaks to an
organisation unable and unwilling to admit the truth even after a catastrophic defeat,
the terms of which they had conceded to the Court of Session.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #645 on: February 23, 2021, 12:39:28 PM »

From the article:

Ms Sturgeon, who is expected to give evidence to the inquiry next week, has denied the allegations and told BBC Scotland that there was "not a shred of evidence" to back up claims of a conspiracy against Mr Salmond.

"Several of the women have already made clear how utterly absurd it is to suggest they were part of a conspiracy to bring him down. And yet Alex Salmond is still making these ridiculous and baseless claims and lashing out at all and sundry."

Salmond's submission linked to by NS on Page 9 - 11 (see extract below) does not appear to be claiming that the women complainants were part of a conspiracy. So it looks like Sturgeon is trying to discredit Salmond by misrepresenting the claims about conspiracy to include the women and by also claiming he is lashing out. Dick move by Sturgeon IMO:

The interests of the complainants

They were offered the option of making “anonymous complaints” for which there is
no provision in the policy. However, when it came to actually protecting the
anonymity of the complainants through a court order in the Judicial Review in
October 2018 the Government was not even represented by Counsel in court. It was,
in fact, me who instructed Counsel to seek that anonymity on the part of the women
concerned.

The investigation was carried out against the advice of the police who pointed out that
the Scottish Government were not competent to conduct the investigation. This has
been made available to the Committee in the police evidence from the Chief
Constable.

The reports to the Crown Office (instead of the police) were made against the express
wishes of both complainants and in direct conflict with the terms of the policy at
paragraph 19.

The question of ‘conspiracy’

It has been a matter of considerable public interest whether there was ‘a conspiracy’. I
have never adopted the term but note that the Cambridge English Dictionary defines it
as ‘the activity of secretly planning with other people to do something bad or illegal.’
I leave to others the question of what is, or is not, a conspiracy but am very clear in
my position that the evidence supports a deliberate, prolonged, malicious and
concerted effort amongst a range of individuals within the Scottish Government and
the SNP to damage my reputation, even to the extent of having me imprisoned.
That includes, for the avoidance of doubt, Peter Murrell (Chief Executive), Ian
McCann (Compliance officer) and Sue Ruddick (Chief Operating Officer) of the SNP
together with Liz Lloyd, the First Minister’s Chief of Staff. There are others who, for
legal reasons, I am not allowed to name.

The most obvious and compelling evidence of such conduct is contained within the
material crown office refuses to release. That decision is frankly disgraceful. Refusing
to allow the Committee to see that material both denies me the opportunity to put the
full truth before the Committee and the public, and makes it impossible for the
Committee to complete its task on a full sight of the relevant material. The only
beneficiaries of that decision to withhold evidence are those involved in conduct
designed to damage (and indeed imprison) me. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #646 on: February 23, 2021, 02:06:07 PM »
So the redactions appear to be the ones about whether Sturgeon breached the ministerial code. Salmond's lawyers have asked for an urgent explanation of the decision. I suspect the chance of Salmond appearing tomorrow are now small.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:52:23 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #647 on: February 23, 2021, 06:50:45 PM »
And Salmond now not appearing tomorrow.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #649 on: February 26, 2021, 08:44:24 AM »
Salmond appearing before inquiry today. Should be worth watching

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56198842