Author Topic: Salmond denies sexual misconduct allegations  (Read 49484 times)

Roses

Re: Salmond denies sexual misconduct allegations
« Reply #650 on: February 26, 2021, 12:26:03 PM »
It will be interesting to see how all this pans out.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #651 on: February 26, 2021, 07:32:59 PM »

Well that took a lot of popcorn. Some dreadful performances, some good ones.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #652 on: February 27, 2021, 07:54:29 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #653 on: February 27, 2021, 08:35:56 AM »
Tweet that I find very apposite from Duncan Hothersall, Scottish Labour activist:

'I've said for a long time that the SNP's fundamental political strategy is to supplant Labour in Scotland, leaving them - and therefore independence - as the only alternative to the Tories. Looks like they've finally perfected the public infighting bit.'

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #656 on: March 02, 2021, 06:49:02 PM »
Motion of no confidence to be raised in Sturgeon. Could be very tight. Suspect the Greens might abstain in which case Sturgeon will survive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56259056

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #657 on: March 03, 2021, 09:17:12 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #658 on: March 03, 2021, 01:04:38 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #659 on: March 16, 2021, 09:51:18 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #660 on: March 19, 2021, 08:23:34 AM »
Sturgeon being found to have misled parliament. Once this would have meant resignation but we are not in Kansas anymore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56451170

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #661 on: March 19, 2021, 11:17:54 AM »
Sturgeon being found to have misled parliament. Once this would have meant resignation but we are not in Kansas anymore.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-56451170
The committee split entirely on party lines, which suggests to me that the voting is more political than evidential. It may ever have been thus in these kinds of committee, but I guess in many cases if a PM (or FM) has an absolute majority in their parliament then they will have a majority in the committees. So were this to be Boris Johnson to be under the same scrutiny but with a Westminster committee then he'd probably be OK if there was a split absolutely along party lines.

Reminds me a bit of the impeachment of Trump - where the evidence seemed pretty irrelevant it was all decided on the political make-up of the House and the Senate.

So all in all - given the huge publicity of the inquiry a deeply unsatisfactory outcome as far as I'm concerned. Not on whether she did or did not mislead etc (hard for me to judge given that I've not seen all the evidence), but that the outcome looks to me to be one you could have anticipated before a word of evidence had been taken - SNP MSPs voting for Sturgeon, non-SNP MSPs voting against.

I think the other inquiry (or are the two more ongoing - I've lost track) may be more interesting as that is being considered in a manner independent of party political factionalism.

Roses

« Reply #662 on: March 19, 2021, 11:36:25 AM »
The SNP needs to get its act together before the election in May.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #663 on: March 19, 2021, 11:43:56 AM »
The committee split entirely on party lines, which suggests to me that the voting is more political than evidential. It may ever have been thus in these kinds of committee, but I guess in many cases if a PM (or FM) has an absolute majority in their parliament then they will have a majority in the committees. So were this to be Boris Johnson to be under the same scrutiny but with a Westminster committee then he'd probably be OK if there was a split absolutely along party lines.

Reminds me a bit of the impeachment of Trump - where the evidence seemed pretty irrelevant it was all decided on the political make-up of the House and the Senate.

So all in all - given the huge publicity of the inquiry a deeply unsatisfactory outcome as far as I'm concerned. Not on whether she did or did not mislead etc (hard for me to judge given that I've not seen all the evidence), but that the outcome looks to me to be one you could have anticipated before a word of evidence had been taken - SNP MSPs voting for Sturgeon, non-SNP MSPs voting against.

I think the other inquiry (or are the two more ongoing - I've lost track) may be more interesting as that is being considered in a manner independent of party political factionalism.
I think that's unfair on Andy Wightman. It was always likely to split 4/4 leaving Wightman aside politically but he's as a now Independent, once Green, who is generally seen as being an honest person. He voted with the SNP members pretty cibsistejtly on the questiond of evidence to the extent that he was receiving a lot of abuse for being biased for the SNP.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #664 on: March 19, 2021, 12:08:09 PM »
I think that's unfair on Andy Wightman. It was always likely to split 4/4 leaving Wightman aside politically but he's as a now Independent, once Green, who is generally seen as being an honest person. He voted with the SNP members pretty cibsistejtly on the questiond of evidence to the extent that he was receiving a lot of abuse for being biased for the SNP.
The fact remains that all the SNP MSPs voted in her favour, all the non-SNP MSPs voted against. So it is very hard to unpick the influence of the evidence from the influence of the politics. Perhaps Wightman was the only one really looking at the evidence - who knows. But in order for the outcome to be freed of the taint of just going along political lines, we'd have needed at least one SNP MSP voting against Sturgeon or at least one non-SNP MSPs voting in her favour. That did not happen.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 12:11:37 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #665 on: March 21, 2021, 01:37:33 PM »
Was there any actual evidence? Admittedly I only heard the main extracts, but it was all political or statements about what people felt or intended. Not factual details about what happened, or who said what when?

Fail to see how an 8 hour interview can be about anything than further muddying the waters.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #668 on: March 22, 2021, 03:59:13 PM »
James Hamilton's report due to be released in a minute
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 04:02:59 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #669 on: March 22, 2021, 04:10:22 PM »
James Hamilton's report due to be released in a minute
Still waiting

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #670 on: March 22, 2021, 04:19:32 PM »
Can I sue the Scottish Government for Hamilton report-related RSI?

Roses

« Reply #671 on: March 22, 2021, 04:43:42 PM »
Sturgeon has been cleared of breaking the ministerial code.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #672 on: March 22, 2021, 04:56:07 PM »
Sturgeon has been cleared of breaking the ministerial code.
By the Hamiton report. The leaked committee report which comes out later in the week will say she misled parliament but as Prof D covered earlier that will be seen as political even though that is unfair on Andy Wightman.

It does mean that if the Tories call for her to resign then they are managing to be even more hypocritical than up to now in being happy with Hancock and Johnson and Patel to to remain despite having been found in breach of the ministerial code with those findings for Hancock and Johnson to be court findings.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #673 on: March 22, 2021, 05:23:24 PM »
By the Hamiton report. The leaked committee report which comes out later in the week will say she misled parliament but as Prof D covered earlier that will be seen as political even though that is unfair on Andy Wightman.

It does mean that if the Tories call for her to resign then they are managing to be even more hypocritical than up to now in being happy with Hancock and Johnson and Patel to to remain despite having been found in breach of the ministerial code with those findings for Hancock and Johnson to be court findings.
I think this report will be seen as more credible than the committee report as it isn't tainted by political bias (regardless of your views on Wightman the fact remains that all the SNP MSPs voted for Sturgeon and all the non-SNP MSPs voted against).

But even were it the case that both approaches carried equal weight I think that a one-all draw is enough for her to rebut calls for her to resign.

And there will of course be further calls for her to resign but I think they will have been rather deflated by the fact that an independent (and non political) inquiry has found that she didn't break the code.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #674 on: March 22, 2021, 09:33:44 PM »
Says the person who in one of the more bizarre posts on this thread stated that she was biased in favour of Salmond.

When you are biased, as you have admitted you are, it is easy to see someone else's neutrality as biased.
PD - you're back on here. In which case you can address this post you wrote about me where you claimed I admitted I was biased in favour of Salmond. Which post number are you referring to? Or were you lying?
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi