Author Topic: 'Centrists won't save Britain'  (Read 2001 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: 'Centrists won't save Britain'
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
What they see as merit is distorted by their ideology. The actual merit or otherwise of the decision can only be determined by analysing the improvement or otherwise in the British people's circumstances as a result of the decision.

There are also ideological reasons for choosing Remain. In fact, it might be that the Remain campaign would have done better to push an ideology a bit more instead of concentrating solely on the merits of staying in.
The improvement or otherwise in the 'British' , itself an ideological statement, people's circumstances is dependent on what you mean by improvement, an ideological position.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 02:51:51 PM »
To the first the answer is surely, yes!
I don't need an ideology to tell me that free at the point of delivery for all citizens is a Good Thing - unless you consider basic human welfare an ideology.

And indeed given that marital rape was disregarded for millennia, yes too.
Disregarded on at the basis of some sort of ideology but that doesn't make it right, nor non marital rape, which you have ignored.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 02:52:58 PM »
I don't need an ideology to tell me that free at the point of delivery for all citizens is a Good Thing - unless you consider basic human welfare an ideology.
Disregarded on at the basis of some sort of ideology but that doesn't make it right, nor non marital rape, which you have ignored.
That's just you saying my ideology is right. Nothing about actual merit in an objective sense.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 02:54:20 PM »
The improvement or otherwise in the 'British' , itself an ideological statement, people's circumstances is dependent on what you mean by improvement, an ideological position.
No it isn't. There are various ways of objectively measuring people's circumstances.

If you are going to claim every example I give as a form of ideology we might as well stop now, because you have rendered the word meaningless.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 03:08:24 PM »
No it isn't. There are various ways of objectively measuring people's circumstances.

If you are going to claim every example I give as a form of ideology we might as well stop now, because you have rendered the word meaningless.
Yes there are, but what you define as good is defined by  your ideology. What you decide as a good outcome isn't objective. Until you deal with that you should stop.

I note you never did manage to answer what is 'actual merit'.