Author Topic: The Parrys  (Read 1678 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: The Parrys
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 04:30:12 PM »
Remarkable people.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/31/colin-and-wendy-parry-parents-of-warrington-bombing-victim-we-dont-want-to-know-who-did-it
Slightly odd that the article regards bomb and gun attacks in Northern Ireland as not 'British soil'. They should just for accuracy put mainland in the statement. But, yes you would hope that you could see that knowing who is worth nothing in such circumstances, I doubt I would

Rhiannon

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
I just think being able to put one foot in front of the other after something like that is an achievement.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 08:18:47 PM »
Slightly odd that the article regards bomb and gun attacks in Northern Ireland as not 'British soil'. They should just for accuracy put mainland in the statement.
They are, of course, correct although I'm not sure why they'd want to make that statement. Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain, hence the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:39:34 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 05:54:01 AM »
They are, of course, correct although I'm not sure why they'd want to make that statement. Northern Ireland isn't part of Britain, hence the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Do the govt and their supporters think NI isn't British?

Rhiannon

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 08:53:50 AM »
Pedantry over the accuracy of what was said doesn't seem appropriate here.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
Except it's a way of dealing with NI as if it's not part of the UK. The DUP who keep the UK govt in power would see the idea that NI is somehow not British as deeply offensive.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 09:08:02 AM »
Do the govt and their supporters think NI isn't British?
Yes - at least if they are being factually accurate. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, it is not part of Britain or Great Britain.

Jut have a look at the front cover of your passport.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
Yes - at least if they are being factually accurate. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, it is not part of Britain or Great Britain.

Except they don't. That you think matters are dealt with via a passport front, then you are on the same level as those who will care about its colour.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 09:12:43 AM »
Indeed - but if you are going to make a pedantic point, as NS did (and started the theme) at least get it right.

On topic - I've always been astonished at the dignity of Colin Parry through the years - Wendy I think has has far less profile. To lose a child in any circumstances must be incredible difficult - to do so in circumstances which are so wrapped in politics with continual reminders through the news etc must make it all the more difficult to try to rebuild your life.

Rhiannon

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 09:15:07 AM »
Except it's a way of dealing with NI as if it's not part of the UK. The DUP who keep the UK govt in power would see the idea that NI is somehow not British as deeply offensive.

It's an inaccuracy on the part of the Graun, which isn't uncommon these days. It's not a political article, it is one about the very real suffering of two families who lost children. My son the same age as Tim Parry was when he died and I can't imagine how anyone deals with the pain of a child dying, let alone in a terror attack, yet these people took their son's death and have started something wonderful as a result, something that really is only about peace. That should be what we are discussing. Save the DUP's wounded feelings fro another day.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »
Except they don't. That you think matters are dealt with via a passport front, then you are on the same level as those who will care about its colour.
Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain, never was and never will be. It is part of the United Kingdom (although that is a political construct and that of course could change). Northern Ireland, being geographically on the island of Ireland is part of the British Isles. The two major components of the British Isles being Britain and Ireland (note you cannot be part of both).

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 09:16:34 AM »
It's an inaccuracy on the part of the Graun, which isn't uncommon these days.
It isn't inaccurate - the Guardian are being entirely accurate in recognising that bombs in Belfast aren't in Britain.

Actually their more glaring inaccuracy is to rather ignore the Birmingham and Guildford pub bombings when claiming that 'Until then, the IRA’s attacks on British soil had for the most part targeted wealthy parts of London: Harrods, Canary Wharf, Bishopsgate in the City'.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2018, 09:23:07 AM »
Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain, never was and never will be. It is part of the United Kingdom (although that is a political construct and that of course could change). Northern Ireland, being geographically on the island of Ireland is part of the British Isles. The two major components of the British Isles being Britain and Ireland (note you cannot be part of both).

Who is arguing about it being part of Great Britain. It's about how people use language not geography. The Unionists in NI think of themselves as British. They think that NI is British. No one thinks of themselves as UKish.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2018, 09:28:34 AM »
It's an inaccuracy on the part of the Graun, which isn't uncommon these days. It's not a political article, it is one about the very real suffering of two families who lost children. My son the same age as Tim Parry was when he died and I can't imagine how anyone deals with the pain of a child dying, let alone in a terror attack, yet these people took their son's death and have started something wonderful as a result, something that really is only about peace. That should be what we are discussing. Save the DUP's wounded feelings fro another day.
Sorry, but no it's not about the DUP's wounded feelings, which I care no jot for. It's in part about a deliberate choice of the Guardian on how to portray the atrocity. Picking that up doesn't mean that I cannot feel astounded by the Parry's thoughts, as I said in my first post here.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 09:30:39 AM »
It isn't inaccurate - the Guardian are being entirely accurate in recognising that bombs in Belfast aren't in Britain.

Actually their more glaring inaccuracy is to rather ignore the Birmingham and Guildford pub bombings when claiming that 'Until then, the IRA’s attacks on British soil had for the most part targeted wealthy parts of London: Harrods, Canary Wharf, Bishopsgate in the City'.
Good point. The Parrys seem astounding, the Guardian article seems to be pushing its own agenda.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 03:31:47 PM »
Slightly odd that the article regards bomb and gun attacks in Northern Ireland as not 'British soil'. They should just for accuracy put mainland in the statement. But, yes you would hope that you could see that knowing who is worth nothing in such circumstances, I doubt I would

Not considering Norn Iron as "British" is parts of the Graun's agenda.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »

Britain was a Roman province which fell with Colchester in 0567.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 03:33:41 PM »

Spot On.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
Not considering Norn Iron as "British" is parts of the Graun's agenda.
How can it be part of an 'agenda' to state something which is factually correct. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, it isn't part of Britain.

To imply that a bomb blast in Belfast was on British soil would be simply incorrect - if a newspaper did that it might be due to ignorance on the part of the article writer, or due to an agenda, but it is hard to see how being factually accurate (as the Guardian article was) is evidence of some agenda.

Shaker

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2018, 08:22:15 PM »
Bald men fighting over a comb ... ::)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »

It isn't part of Great Britain. It is part of the British Isles, as is the Irish Republic.
When politicians talk about making tough decisions, they mean tough for us, not for them.

Roses

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 02:40:01 PM »
It isn't part of Great Britain. It is part of the British Isles, as is the Irish Republic.

The Irish republic is NOT part of the British Isles!  ::)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Robbie

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 03:20:49 PM »
The Irish republic is NOT part of the British Isles!  ::)

Yes it IS! Second largest island in the British Isles:-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology_of_the_British_Isles#Ireland

Bald men fighting over a comb ... ::)

Good description, happens a lot.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Roses

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2018, 03:35:17 PM »
Yes it IS! Second largest island in the British Isles:-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminology_of_the_British_Isles#Ireland

Good description, happens a lot.

I doubt the Irish Republic sees itself as part of the British Isles these days.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."