Author Topic: JAcqueline Pearce dead  (Read 803 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
JAcqueline Pearce dead
« on: September 04, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/03/jacqueline-pearce-blakes-7-and-doctor-who-actor-dies-aged-74

For those of us of a certain age this actress was one of the main reasons for watching Blake's 7.

She created a wonderful character on a very cardboard series (this is not disrespecting the programme, I use the word cardboard literally in this instance)
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Shaker

Re: JAcqueline Pearce dead
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 09:25:50 AM »
Yep. Sadly, I have the complete Blakes' 7 on box set. By the way, she played a brilliant villain in "The Two Doctors" with Patrick Troughton's last outing as the Doctor in Colin Baker's time in the TARDIS.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 12:01:23 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/03/jacqueline-pearce-blakes-7-and-doctor-who-actor-dies-aged-74

For those of us of a certain age this actress was one of the main reasons for watching Blake's 7.

She created a wonderful character on a very cardboard series (this is not disrespecting the programme, I use the word cardboard literally in this instance)

Indeed. Servalan began as a villainess, but by the end of the show she was a rather more sympathetic character. It is a tribute to Jacgueline that she made such a strong character out of Servalen, since Terry Nation had difficulty writing for female characters, if you look at the other females in Blakes 7 Jenna was the blonde, Cally the brunette, and Soolin the one who changed her hairstyle every week.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »
I didn't recognise the name in the thread title, but of course I remember Servalan. Sad loss.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Maeght

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 07:28:03 PM »
Sad. Thought she played Servalan so well.