Author Topic: NI Secretary doesn't understand what Unionists and Nationalists are  (Read 1054 times)

Rhiannon

I'm all for honesty in politics but maybe she should have kept this one to herself.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/07/karen-bradley-admits-not-understanding-northern-irish-politics

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: NI Secretary doesn't understand what Unionists and Nationalists are
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:21:07 AM »
Yes I read this earlier. Both the partner and I have decided we are more qualified for the job than she is. (And I would fuck it up anyway).

More seriously, it underlines the governments complete disregard for the situation in N. Ireland and the consequences Brexit will have if we don't find some kind of deal that allows for a soft border - and therein lies the answer to why I would fuck it up, because there is no solution that is palatable to a majority in parliament. Let alone to the people of N. Ireland.

Just occasionally* I feel sorry for Ms May. Rock meet hard place.

* I then think of all the bastard things she has done and I get over the pity fairly quickly.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Rhiannon

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:28:07 AM »
My sixteen year old is better qualified. Christ.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 10:16:18 AM »
I wish this surprised me - it doesn't. I wish the RUK would stop trying to think it understands what the situation is in NI - it does not. They talk to politicos - but they ignore the street cultures there - as, sadly, do many NI politicos. The sectarian hatred has not gone away. It isn't even cooling down much. Any slip up in the Brexit burach which miffs one lot or t'other will send them looking for glass bottles, petrol and wicks. Devolved government put a lid on the situation, but the pot kept boiling. Now there's no lid and the pot's starting to spill.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 10:34:57 AM »
In addition the current Tory government are dependent on the DUP in Westminster, and from what I understand Bradley does have the power to force a fresh election to Stormont but won't use it: but of course that might upset the DUP. As it stands the non-unionist electorate in NI aren't represented in an active legislature, which is surely an untenable situation.

If only Sinn Fein would take their seats in Westminster if just for the sole purpose of helping to bring this catastrophic government down - they could always cross their fingers when taking whatever oath is required.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 12:07:32 PM »
I'm all for honesty in politics but maybe she should have kept this one to herself.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/07/karen-bradley-admits-not-understanding-northern-irish-politics

Agreed. I read the link with a sense of disbelief. Yes Ok I remember a minor politician some years ago admitting that she was on an IT sub committee and did not even know how to switch on a word processor, but this is not a laughing matter.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Gordon

• Administrator

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 06:30:13 PM »
Maybe they have some sort of game going where the PM that appoints the person that knows least about a department as minister, gets extra points.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
NI Secretary doesn't understand what Unionists and Nationalists are

The article doesn't say that and neither did she. What she actually said was that (I paraphrase here) she didn't understand exactly how badly fucked up NI politics was. She did not say she did not understand what a nationalist was or a unionist was and she certainly didn't say that she still doesn't understand the issues.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Rhiannon

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »
The article doesn't say that and neither did she. What she actually said was that (I paraphrase here) she didn't understand exactly how badly fucked up NI politics was. She did not say she did not understand what a nationalist was or a unionist was and she certainly didn't say that she still doesn't understand the issues.

I couldn't fit all that in the title box.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »
I couldn't fit all that in the title box.
"didn't" has fewer letters than "doesn't".
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Rhiannon

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
"didn't" has fewer letters than "doesn't".

I'm with Anchorman in that I think the understanding still isn't there. But maybe that isn't a 'what' now is much as a 'how'.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 02:23:46 PM »

She wasn't a random person in the street. She was an elected MP who didn't appear to have a basic understanding of the politics of the House she was elected to. And she doesn't understand that saying she didn't have that very fecking basic understanding makes it look like she should never have been elected.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
She wasn't a random person in the street. She was an elected MP who didn't appear to have a basic understanding of the politics of the House she was elected to.
A very small part of the house, half of which doesn't turn up on principle.

And she doesn't understand that saying she didn't have that very fecking basic understanding makes it look like she should never have been elected.
Because people like to generate faux outrage in response to episodes like this. It makes no difference what she knew or didn't know before she took on the job, it's what she knows now that matters. And I would disagree with Rhiannon and Anchorman's assertion that she still doesn't have an understanding of NI politics.