Author Topic: Another gun massacre in the US  (Read 14670 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Another gun massacre in the US
« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »
  Pedant alert
I think that should be "pedantry". After all, you are notifying us that there is about to be some pedantry. You are not warning us that a pedant has suddenly appeared.

, prolific is the wrong word there, and is wrong in an ironic way.

I don't get the irony although I agree it is the wrong word. I would have used "ubiquitous".

The thing is those supporting gun ownership see it as a right and then because it has inherent danger, see it as counter acting that danger. The second amendment is seen as being about freedom.

Yes, you are right about 2A symbolising freedom from interference from the government. There's a guy on Youtube called Paul Harrell who posts videos about guns. They're never political and always focus on the technicalities of owning and using guns. However, the one thing he does say is that as an American you have a right to own a gun and a right to vote and you should exercise both. He seems to put them both on the same level of importance. 
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2019, 01:05:57 PM »
I think that should be "pedantry". After all, you are notifying us that there is about to be some pedantry. You are not warning us that a pedant has suddenly appeared.

I don't get the irony although I agree it is the wrong word. I would have used "ubiquitous".

Yes, you are right about 2A symbolising freedom from interference from the government. There's a guy on Youtube called Paul Harrell who posts videos about guns. They're never political and always focus on the technicalities of owning and using guns. However, the one thing he does say is that as an American you have a right to own a gun and a right to vote and you should exercise both. He seems to put them both on the same level of importance.
Yep, fair point about pedant/pedantry.

Where I saw the irony was in using a word that means amongst other things producing young on a thread discussing killings with guns.

Roses

« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2019, 06:32:55 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50619957

11 people have been shot in an incident in New Orleans! :o
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2019, 10:40:31 AM »
And six more dead - though this seems to have been more of a gunfight

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50737537

Sassy

« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2020, 11:24:35 AM »
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Roses

« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
Whose fault was it this time?

Trump supporting the right to bear arms.

Sassy

« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2020, 01:26:04 PM »
Trump supporting the right to bear arms.

If there were no guns would the massacre still have happened?

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Roses

« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2020, 01:42:12 PM »
If there were no guns would the massacre still have happened?

Of course not.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

ad_orientem

« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2021, 06:49:28 AM »
Just a wholesome family picture! Sick in the head, more like!
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59543735
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2022, 11:32:49 AM »
Powerful stuff:

https://youtu.be/vPvf5RgCU08

The NRA and those senators should hang their heads in shame.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SusanDoris

« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2022, 05:56:02 PM »
Powerful stuff:

https://youtu.be/vPvf5RgCU08

Totally agree of course. It is so deeply saddening.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2022, 06:57:47 PM »
The Second Amendment should be annulled. The USA has one of the largest professional armies in the world.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Outrider

« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2022, 10:14:18 PM »
The Second Amendment should be annulled. The USA has one of the largest professional armies in the world.

Part of the justification for the 2nd amendment is exactly because of that professional army - the capacity for the populace to create a militia to fight back against the government. Absolute nonsense in a practical sense, of course...

The thing is, there are other places with shitloads of guns (even if the US is still an outlier), and this sort of thing just doesn't happen in those places.

The US has 120 guns per 100 people, compared to England and Wales' 5 or Australia's 14. But, Saudi Arabia has in excess of 50, Serbia 40, Montenegro also 40, and these gun death rates aren't even close, whilst El Salvador, Guatemala and Venezuela lead the gun death rates despite ownership rates of 12, 12.1 and 18.5 respectively.

It's also worth noting the US isn't even in the top 10 for gun deaths per capita, but it's #2 for suicides by firearm per capita, and it's the only country in the world with an appreciable rate of deaths in mass shootings.

If the guns weren't there these suicides would likely be lower (there's some evidence that more people survive other suicide attempts more frequently, and fail to complete attempts by other means more often), and the mass attacks would likely be less frequent, less deadly and have fewer victims. However, culturally the US isn't in a position to wholesale ban the sale of guns like the UK and Australia have done.

The culture of gun use, gun ownership and the depiction of firearms in everyday life in the US is the problem - other people have guns and they don't get used like this. It's a culture that has to change, and if that changes then the wholesale control of gun ownership won't be necessary, but if it doesn't change then the wholesale control of guns isn't a possibility anyway.

It seems that Americans are just too invested in their 'rights' and not invested enough in the responsibilities that come along with those rights, and until that changes these deaths are going to continue to happen.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

ad_orientem

« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2022, 12:37:15 PM »

For them gun massacres are an acceptable sacrifice if it means they keep their guns. Their only solution is more guns. Inbreds, the lot of them! It's the only explanation.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Spud

« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2022, 12:53:26 PM »
Is it really a person's right to own a firearm? I would say it is a privilege, that should be earned.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2022, 02:07:08 PM »
Is it really a person's right to own a firearm? I would say it is a privilege, that should be earned.
It's a right if society decides that it's a right. US society has so decided, with disastrous results.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2022, 02:38:37 PM »
For them gun massacres are an acceptable sacrifice if it means they keep their guns. Their only solution is more guns. Inbreds, the lot of them! It's the only explanation.

75% of Americans think there should be stricter gun controls. The problem is that the 25% have undue influence and the arms industry makes a lot of money.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2022, 02:52:19 PM »

What kind of a society would you prefer to live in: one where you can only do things the government says are legal or one where you can do anything except what the government says is illegal.

I would argue that the USA and, indeed, the UK fall into the second category. You have a right to do whatever you like unless the government says you can't and that includes owning guns.

In the UK, the government has said you can't own a gun but we don't regard it as a problem because even two mass shootings were deemed by almost everybody to be an unacceptable price to pay to keep the right. 

In the USA there is a problem because the government can't make laws to ban guns, at least not all of them, because of the US Constitution and there are enough people and enough money to stop that clause from being repealed. What's more, it's been shown that, even if there was the political will to repeal the Second Amendment, the people with guns think it's OK to try to overthrow a democratic decision by force.

BeRational

« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2022, 02:57:35 PM »
What kind of a society would you prefer to live in: one where you can only do things the government says are legal or one where you can do anything except what the government says is illegal.

I would argue that the USA and, indeed, the UK fall into the second category. You have a right to do whatever you like unless the government says you can't and that includes owning guns.

In the UK, the government has said you can't own a gun but we don't regard it as a problem because even two mass shootings were deemed by almost everybody to be an unacceptable price to pay to keep the right. 

In the USA there is a problem because the government can't make laws to ban guns, at least not all of them, because of the US Constitution and there are enough people and enough money to stop that clause from being repealed. What's more, it's been shown that, even if there was the political will to repeal the Second Amendment, the people with guns think it's OK to try to overthrow a democratic decision by force.

I love guns and would certainly own them if it was legal.

It's not legal, and I totally understand why, so too bad.
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Spud

« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2022, 09:41:42 AM »
I don't think the first one is likely. What would be the point in, say, legislating that climbing trees, going for a run or doing a headstand is legal?

Does it have to be repealed, or just modified? Bring in licensing and allow anyone who gets through a rigorous testing regime to get one.

Spud

« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2022, 09:58:04 AM »
I love guns and would certainly own them if it was legal.

It's not legal, and I totally understand why, so too bad.
If less people had them, less people would want them. The forming-a-militia thing doesn't seem practical since nowadays the government has control over more sophisticated weapons that would be impossible to fight against (?)

Outrider

« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2022, 11:13:51 AM »
If less people had them, less people would want them. The forming-a-militia thing doesn't seem practical since nowadays the government has control over more sophisticated weapons that would be impossible to fight against (?)

Look at the sort of people advocating for gun rights in the US, do these strike you as primarily 'practical' people?

It's deeper than that caricature, though, the US is culturally founded upon the idea that what makes them different is their cleaving to individual rights. They are a nation created out of the stance that individual rights outweigh other concerns, and it's become the bedrock of their sense of exceptionalism.

Whilst there are examples where they're quite happy to encroach on some people's rights (abortion, voting access etc.), so long as they can keep the 2nd amendment discussion as being about protecting individual rights they're going to have a great deal of success over there.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

BeRational

« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2022, 10:24:17 PM »
The militia thing is not something I would be interested in.
I am in the UK and I like guns, but I cannot have them, so no problem
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2022, 08:18:30 AM »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.