Author Topic: Even some Christians are a bit nasty  (Read 1464 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Even some Christians are a bit nasty
« on: December 19, 2019, 03:38:31 PM »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Walter

Re: Even some Christians are a bit nasty
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 04:14:57 PM »
Because they think "God hates gays".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-50854600
I've never seen any evidence for god , but I have seen  couple of blokes kissing in a pub once !

Roses

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »

Some sickos don't believe Christians can possibly be gay! :o

I have posted on quite a number of forums where extremist Christians think being gay is evil and sinful, and they have got away with their horrendous comments. I have been banned from several forums for pointing out what unpleasant bigots they are. This is the only forum on which I post now, because it is the best. :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 04:40:10 PM by Littleroses »
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 04:53:37 PM »

And of course the lovely Richard Coles responds in a thoroughly decent way.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »

He does - and then some.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 06:11:55 PM »

Yes he does.

And while I think he overestimates the proportion of loveliness (99.99999% means one bad letter equals 10 million letters in total), it surely is very high and most people are sympathetic to his loss.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Roses

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 06:12:43 PM »
If there is such a creature as a 'true Christian', Richard Coles is such a being.

Robbie

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
I like him too L'ilR, his gentle, kindly & laid back manner is something we would all do well to emulate. It's sad that his partner died suddenly. I felt like sending Mr Coles a card, might still do (expect others think I'm somewhat silly to do that, well I've not done it yet but I do have a condolence card at the ready).

Certainly there are nasty, bigoted Christians. I wonder at what stage in their development the acute prejudice crept in. Thank goodness most of us in UK will not encounter them tho' there are fringe Christian groups here that share that ideology, daresay many on 'net too but I haven't searched becos they give me the 'creeps'.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

ippy

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 03:49:19 PM »
He does a very good job of trying to give your average religious spokesperson  a good name.

It's obvious it's not something he has to work hard at, even if he wasn't a religious spokesperson I doubt it would matter he is just naturally one of lifes really joyful and very pleasant people.

My late Father in Law had a very similar way with him I can remember whenever I was leaving his company having either wearing a smile inside my head or on my face.

Regards, ippy

P S Sorry, Richard Cole, of course.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 08:47:14 PM »
Going off at a bit of a tangent, I have notiiced that Christian news sources often put the word "Christian" in inverted commas when referring to unpleasant people such as the late, unlamented Fred "God hates fags" Phelps, but don't do so for Muslims or other religions, which is a bit unfair.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 08:30:13 AM »
Going off at a bit of a tangent, I have notiiced that Christian news sources often put the word "Christian" in inverted commas when referring to unpleasant people such as the late, unlamented Fred "God hates fags" Phelps, but don't do so for Muslims or other religions, which is a bit unfair.

Unfair is too kind. Prejudiced would do better. And drop the "a bit". Apart from that you are quite correct.  ;)
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 08:47:29 AM »
Unfair is too kind. Prejudiced would do better. And drop the "a bit". Apart from that you are quite correct.  ;)
It was intended as ironic understatement.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 10:34:06 AM »
There are no words strong enough to describe my thoughts about that evil excuse for a human, Fred Phelps. >:( >:( >:(  When he died the Earth was relieved on a pollutant.

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 02:04:13 PM »

I would ask you to take the time and patiently read this extract from Thessalonians,

2 Thessalonians 2 King James Version (KJV)
2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?

6 And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

8 And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:

9 Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders,

10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

14 Where unto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The fact that men of the Cloth show themselves to believe they can take part in unrighteousness means the deception is already at work.

Jesus gave two commandments and these were as follows:-

[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. [38] This is the first and great commandment. [39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The whole of the law and the Prophets hang on those two commandments.

John. 14. [15] If ye love me, keep my commandments. [21] He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

The truth is that if you love God as Jesus commands you do not break his commandments or the laws.  I find it disheartening to think that believers can break the law and not love thy neighbour and not see that the law accounts for all.   James 2:10 King James Version
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Christ has died for our sins so we are no longer under the law he has paid the price for a believer. But having known the price he paid are we loving God or others if we lead them into sin?

Even on this forum people nitpick the bits they want to use to attack Christians and religion. But God does not count any one sin worse than the other. But blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not forgiven.  It is not forgiven for how can someone who has such lack of love ever come to Christ and ask for forgiveness?  We do not know everything but we know Christ loses none who have come to in except the one who was meant to be lost, Judas.   So think on what it really means to love God and your neighbour and how all sins are sin. Break one break them all.

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 09:40:02 PM »
I would ask you to take the time and patiently read this extract from Thessalonians,

The fact that men of the Cloth show themselves to believe they can take part in unrighteousness means the deception is already at work.

[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. [38] This is the first and great commandment. [39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

The whole of the law and the Prophets hang on those two commandments.

John. 14. [15] If ye love me, keep my commandments. [21] He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

The truth is that if you love God as Jesus commands you do not break his commandments or the laws.  I find it disheartening to think that believers can break the law and not love thy neighbour and not see that the law accounts for all.   James 2:10 King James Version
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Christ has died for our sins so we are no longer under the law he has paid the price for a believer. But having known the price he paid are we loving God or others if we lead them into sin?

Even on this forum people nitpick the bits they want to use to attack Christians and religion. But God does not count any one sin worse than the other. But blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not forgiven.  It is not forgiven for how can someone who has such lack of love ever come to Christ and ask for forgiveness?  We do not know everything but we know Christ loses none who have come to in except the one who was meant to be lost, Judas.   So think on what it really means to love God and your neighbour and how all sins are sin. Break one break them all.

Please use a more accurate translation of the Bible. Apart from not being very good by today's standard, the KJV uses archaic language that further obscures the meaning.

Outrider

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 09:24:29 AM »

I'd ask you to  look at real people and their lives and judge pain and misery as it's demonstrated in people's lives rather than burying your head in ancient words, selectively translated more for poetry than accuracy.

Even if you accept the nonsense of religion, these are people who see the message 'God is love' a paramount over technical readings of questionable documents.

And so these 'men of the cloth' find two men in love, or two women in love and decide 'that seems like the kind of thing Jesus was talking about'... the rest of the law, as it explains here, is subservient to that. Where there are contradictions, these people find in favour of the general principle.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints