Author Topic: Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England  (Read 6190 times)

bluehillside Retd.

In case anyone needed reminding, the The C of E being as misguided and irrelevant as ever it was:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/23/sex-married-heterosexual-couples-church-of-england-christians
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Outrider

Re: Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 04:12:30 PM »
In case anyone needed reminding, the The C of E being as misguided and irrelevant as ever it was:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/23/sex-married-heterosexual-couples-church-of-england-christians

One of my continuing bugbears with the Guardian is the way it keeps feeling the need to give the oxygen of publicity to the Church of England - so it doesn't think Civil Partnerships constitute marriage within the Christian teaching, that was sort of the point.  They were set up to give an option that kept the Church out of business that wasn't theirs, and here they are poking their beaks in as though they were in any way relevant to anything.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 04:30:10 PM »
Outy,

One of my continuing bugbears with the Guardian is the way it keeps feeling the need to give the oxygen of publicity to the Church of England - so it doesn't think Civil Partnerships constitute marriage within the Christian teaching, that was sort of the point.  They were set up to give an option that kept the Church out of business that wasn't theirs, and here they are poking their beaks in as though they were in any way relevant to anything.

I agree, and not just the Grauniad either of course - "Thought for the Day" on the Today programme is (in)famously a religious thought only zone. Across the media in fact I look askance when a difficult moral issue arises and they wheel out a cleric as if he (and it almost always is a he) has some special expertise in the area. Why not instead the head of a hospital ethics department, or a professor of moral philosophy perhaps who actual has some qualifications in the subject?

Anyways, the C of E's latest unpleasant nonsense must be difficult to process for, say, a married gay couple that also happen to be members.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:32:12 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »
Really? I mean fucking really?

They have nothing better to do than to witter on in a slightly harmful way about gay relationships.

With all the shit in the world, that they even consider this important shows a lack of any moral compass.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 06:29:18 PM »
Who cares, apart from its members, what the CofE thinks: their nauseating homophobic views aren't authoritative over society at large, hence marriage legislation was changed in spite of them, and it is about time the media recognised that the presumption that the CofE has any significant influence is false and they should stop giving them a public profile they don't merit - even in England, since they are utterly irrelevant here in Scotland.

A newsletter to their dwindling and increasingly aged regulars would surely suffice.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »
Trent,

Really? I mean fucking really?

They have nothing better to do than to witter on in a slightly harmful way about gay relationships.

With all the shit in the world, that they even consider this important shows a lack of any moral compass.

Quite so. I'm less relaxed about the "slightly" though - I'm aware fo the slippery slope fallacy, but it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to me from institutionalised homophobia like this to gay men getting beaten up on the street, especially when the institution concerned arrogates to itself rights to access to much of the media. Fortunately it seems to me that much of society has moved on from listening to these fuckwits, but it's insidious stuff nonetheless.

God

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 07:58:51 PM »
Trent,

Quite so. I'm less relaxed about the "slightly" though - I'm aware fo the slippery slope fallacy, but it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to me from institutionalised homophobia like this to gay men getting beaten up on the street, especially when the institution concerned arrogates to itself rights to access to much of the media. Fortunately it seems to me that much of society has moved on from listening to these fuckwits, but it's insidious stuff nonetheless.

It's interesting that they've said that any kind of sex homosexual or heterosexual outside of a proper marriage is basically wrong, but we've all immediately focussed in on the homosexual side. The reason for this is, of course, that we all know straight people who have sex outside of marriage (does it have to be a Christian marriage?) will not suffer any kind of abuses for it.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 08:01:40 PM »
jeremy,

It's interesting that they've said that any kind of sex homosexual or heterosexual outside of a proper marriage is basically wrong, but we've all immediately focussed in on the homosexual side. The reason for this is, of course, that we all know straight people who have sex outside of marriage (does it have to be a Christian marriage?) will not suffer any kind of abuses for it.

No, the reason (or at least my reason) is that it's a rigged game. They won't permit equal marriage, but then say it's wrong for the people they've excluded from marriage to have sex when they're not married.

God

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 08:28:30 PM »
jeremy,

No, the reason (or at least my reason) is that it's a rigged game. They won't permit equal marriage, but then say it's wrong for the people they've excluded from marriage to have sex when they're not married.

That's not the point I'm making (although it is also a very valid point). Plenty of heterosexuals have sex outside of marriage but they don't get the same abuse as homosexuals. We focus on the consequences for gay people because we all know there will be none for everybody else, regardless of the fact that some of them could get married (some couldn't because they already are married, but not to the people with whom they are having sex).
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 11:25:14 PM »
[Civil partnerships] were set up to give an option that kept the Church out of business that wasn't theirs...
No, they weren't - they were set up to give gay couples the same legal rights as hetero married couples. It has long been possible to have a civil marriage in a registry office.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Robbie

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 01:28:48 AM »
Register office or Registrar (me in pedant mode).
Yes it will be six years in March.

The CofE recognises register office weddings as 'proper' marriages for both homo and heterosexual couples. However they aren't supposed to do church weddings for homosexuals - some do anyway, discreetly, or blessings of civil weddings.

Anglicans churches vary so much in their interpretations of church rules. The evangelical wing hang on to old traditions more than middle of the road or high.

There are plenty of gay clergy in committed relationships.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »
Register office or Registrar (me in pedant mode).

Registry Office - a place where registration occurs. Registration is performed by a registrar.

A register is the formal cumulative record of individual registrations.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

ippy

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 06:52:52 PM »
It's about time these irrelevances were written out of all of our UK public places, starting with the House of Lords including the Bishops that are given titles on retirement that entitle them to remain sitting in the House of Lords.

ippy.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 01:08:32 PM »

Certainly not misguided or irrelevant.
The C of E is simply reminding Christians of the guidance and teachings contained in the Christian bible, which is totally relevant for people who choose to follow Christ.

It would only be irrelevant to those who have chosen to reject the teachings and guidance of the Christian bible.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Outrider

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 01:15:06 PM »
Certainly not misguided or irrelevant.  The C of E is simply reminding Christians of the guidance and teachings contained in the Christian bible, which is totally relevant for people who choose to follow Christ.

Surely the place to tell Christians things is in the Church, where the Christians are, rather than in the public forum of the media where everyone is?  Surely, if you're addressing this to Christians, you make a point of explaining that it only applies to Christians if you do choose to do it in a public forum.  Surely, if it's for Christians, what happens in a civil partnership is of no concern of theirs, because Christians will be having a Christian MarriageTM[/quote]

It would only be irrelevant to those who have chosen to reject the teachings and guidance of the Christian bible.

You're still misrepresenting that burden of proof idea.  It's irrelevant to those who've heard the guidance of the Christian Bible and realised that it's insufficient evidence to base life choices on...

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 01:20:20 PM »
The C of E is simply reminding Christians of the guidance and teachings contained in the Christian bible, which is totally relevant for people who choose to follow Christ.

Social changes impose changes in behavior. This experiment with rats shows how behavior changes in line with population and environmental pressures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink

Humans probably are not exceptions...

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2020, 01:40:59 PM »
Surely the place to tell Christians things is in the Church, where the Christians are, rather than in the public forum of the media where everyone is?  Surely, if you're addressing this to Christians, you make a point of explaining that it only applies to Christians if you do choose to do it in a public forum.  Surely, if it's for Christians, what happens in a civil partnership is of no concern of theirs, because Christians will be having a Christian MarriageTM
But the CofE (and RCC) are terrible confused over this - tying themselves up in knots. It would be one thing if they only accepted christian marriage as marriage, but they don't. If you are married in a civil ceremony then both the CofE and RCC has historically considered you to be married - hence you wouldn't be allowed to marry again in a christian marriage ceremony and you'd be considered to be divorced if your civil marriage ended in divorce.

Now that civil marriage has been extended to same sex couples the churches are in a bind - effectively they only accept civil marriage for certain couples (heterosexual ones) but reject it for other couples (same sex couples).

Christine

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2020, 01:46:01 PM »
Perhaps the CofE is trying to distract attention from Bishop Peter Ball, subject of a horrifying TV documentary a couple of weeks ago.  Protected for 20 years by the Church and specifically the Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey, who withheld evidence from the police.  He continued grooming and abusing people during those 20 years. 

"At Ball's trial in 2015 it was stated that a member of the royal family, a lord chief justice, JPs, cabinet ministers and public school headmasters—"many dozens" of people—had campaigned to support him in 1993."

The member of the royal family was Prince Charles.  Hard to believe a member of the royal family being friends with a sex abuser, isn't it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Ball_(bishop)

ippy

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2020, 03:13:12 PM »
Perhaps the CofE is trying to distract attention from Bishop Peter Ball, subject of a horrifying TV documentary a couple of weeks ago.  Protected for 20 years by the Church and specifically the Archbishop of Canterbury George Carey, who withheld evidence from the police.  He continued grooming and abusing people during those 20 years. 

"At Ball's trial in 2015 it was stated that a member of the royal family, a lord chief justice, JPs, cabinet ministers and public school headmasters—"many dozens" of people—had campaigned to support him in 1993."

The member of the royal family was Prince Charles.  Hard to believe a member of the royal family being friends with a sex abuser, isn't it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Ball_(bishop)

I've heard of a holy see Christine!

Love your post.

ippy.

ippy

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2020, 05:31:26 PM »

There's no viable evidence that there is anything there like a god, gods, Unicorns or leprechauns in the first place to able to reject it or them, well anyway you've never managed to come up with anything remotely evidential to support your god idea.

Commiserations to you Alan, ippy.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 05:57:35 PM »
AB,

The C of E is simply reminding Christians of the guidance and teachings contained in the Christian bible…

The irony will be lost on you, but the discussion right next to this one is titled “Using the Bible as an excuse for bigotry”.

Funny that.

God

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 06:15:00 PM »

I'd have thought the reaction from CofE members and officials, who are reported as saying it makes the CofE out to be a 'laughing stock', suggests that misguided and irrelevant is perhaps being kinder than the CofE deserves.   

Then surely a newsletter to their members, and perhaps an article on their website, would be sufficient reach their target audience. Instead all they have achieved is confirmation that they are indeed misguided and irrelevant - I reckon that score of 0 out of 10 on the 'how to encourage young people to join' scale would be excessive

Don't be silly - one can consider the position advanced by the CofE as being misguided and irrelevant without any reference to their club rules and manual. If the Institute of Telephone Sanitisers* pronounced that they considered the eating of chocolate on Tuesdays to be bad form we can dismiss their view as being misguided and irrelevant without reference to their 'How to Sanitise Telephones' pamphlet.

* borrowed from Douglas Adams. 

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 07:05:00 PM »
I'd have thought the reaction from CofE members and officials, who are reported as saying it makes the CofE out to be a 'laughing stock', suggests that misguided and irrelevant is perhaps being kinder than the CofE deserves.   

Following popular opinion rather than the teachings from divine revelations of scripture would indeed make such a take on "Christianity" a laughing stock.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 07:13:54 PM »
Following popular opinion rather than the teachings from divine revelations of scripture would indeed make such a take on "Christianity" a laughing stock.
But they have already got into an awful pickle on this.

They used to claim that sex was only for married couples, and happily accepted that couples married in civil ceremonies were in fact married, even though the jurisdiction and definitions of who could me married in those civil ceremonies was entirely outside of their control and an entirely secular state matter.

Then all of a sudden the law is changed to allow same sex married couples and suddenly the CofE no longer believes (as it did) that sex between couples married in a civil ceremony is OK - only some couples.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 07:14:44 PM »

That would be fine except that Christians often ignore the so called teachings from "divine revelations" from scripture. For example, I don't know any non vegetarian Christian who is averse to bacon. None of them seem to observe the Sabbath either or care about all that two fibre bollocks.