Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 240307 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3451 on: November 28, 2020, 09:40:06 AM »
Congratulations for agreeing on what was said

So why are you all getting so outraged about it?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3452 on: November 28, 2020, 09:41:56 AM »
Union fucking JACK! This pseudo-pedantry of calling it the Union Flag if it's not flying from a ship pisses me off no end.
It's not pedantry. It's perfectly acceptable to call it either.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3453 on: November 28, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »
So why are you all getting so outraged about it?
Idiocy

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #3454 on: November 28, 2020, 09:57:59 AM »
Union fucking JACK! This pseudo-pedantry of calling it the Union Flag if it's not flying from a ship pisses me off no end. It is perfectly correct to call it the Union Jack wherever it is flown or portrayed. https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags-2/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

I do hope that you are taking blood-pressure medicine. ::)
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3455 on: November 28, 2020, 10:40:38 AM »
Something that has been worrying and annoying me for sometime is this:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/coronavirus-stopped-talking-about-people-dying_uk_5fbf8102c5b6e4b1ea48f313

And I'm sure that Maradona was a good footballer, but did not the 696 reported deaths on the same day in the UK count for at least something?

This country currently makes me want to vomit.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #3456 on: November 28, 2020, 10:44:32 AM »
Union fucking JACK! This pseudo-pedantry of calling it the Union Flag if it's not flying from a ship pisses me off no end. It is perfectly correct to call it the Union Jack wherever it is flown or portrayed. https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags-2/the-union-jack-or-the-union-flag/

What a very silly fuss about absolutely nothing! ::) Union Jack, Union Flag, who cares, I don't! There is so much else with which to concern ourselves at present.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Robbie

« Reply #3457 on: November 28, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »
I admit to ignorance & never thought about it much but in the back of my mind the union flag was the white one with a red cross that you see around World Cup times and union Jack was the usual red white and blue one  :-[. I've learned something today.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3458 on: November 28, 2020, 12:03:12 PM »
It's not pedantry. It's perfectly acceptable to call it either.
The pedantry is in carefully calling it the Union flag. Until 20-30 years ago, it was always called the Union Jack, but then some anal-retentive wanker decided, wrongly, that it was only correct to call it that if it was flying on a ship, and lots of other people, sheep-like, followed suit.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3459 on: November 28, 2020, 12:06:59 PM »
I admit to ignorance & never thought about it much but in the back of my mind the union flag was the white one with a red cross that you see around World Cup times and union Jack was the usual red white and blue one  :-[. I've learned something today.
The red-cross-on-white is the (unofficial) flag of England, and is emphatically not the Union Jack or Flag, because the word "union" refers to the union of England, Scotland and (Northern) Ireland (and Wales, but Wales isn't represented in the flag).
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #3460 on: November 28, 2020, 12:09:46 PM »
The red-cross-on-white is the (unofficial) flag of England, and is emphatically not the Union Jack or Flag, because the word "union" refers to the union of England, Scotland and (Northern) Ireland (and Wales, but Wales isn't represented in the flag).

The term Union Flag makes more sense than Union Jack, imo.

Anyway this is way off topic. Let's get back to much more important things like the discussing the topic of this thread.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3461 on: November 28, 2020, 05:44:28 PM »
The pedantry is in carefully calling it the Union flag. Until 20-30 years ago, it was always called the Union Jack, but then some anal-retentive wanker decided, wrongly, that it was only correct to call it that if it was flying on a ship, and lots of other people, sheep-like, followed suit.

How do you carefully call something the "Union Flag". The term is not incorrect, so why shouldn't people use it?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #3462 on: November 28, 2020, 08:14:48 PM »

Rubbish. I was first told this when I was in the Scouts - a damn sight more than thirty years ago. And I have heard it mentioned/discussed etc many times.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Robbie

« Reply #3463 on: November 28, 2020, 08:47:00 PM »
Oh yeah the Welsh have a dragon. I'm not up on flags, do Sctoland have a thistle?

How did we get to ths from Coronavirus?

Here's a Scottish flag:- https://flagsandmore.co.uk/flags/scotland-st-andrews-saltire-national-flag?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs6-Yi46m7QIVMYBQBh1Cow25EAQYBSABEgLyCfD_BwE
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3464 on: November 29, 2020, 08:00:36 AM »
How do you carefully call something the "Union Flag". The term is not incorrect, so why shouldn't people use it?
Because they probably think, incorrectly, that "Union Jack" is wrong, though that was what it was always called until 20-30 years ago.

Roses

« Reply #3465 on: November 29, 2020, 08:26:36 AM »
Because they probably think, incorrectly, that "Union Jack" is wrong, though that was what it was always called until 20-30 years ago.

Why are you so obsessed with a flipping flag? ::)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3466 on: November 29, 2020, 09:37:00 AM »
Why are you so obsessed with a flipping flag? ::)
I'm not - I just get irritated by pseudo=pedantry.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3467 on: November 29, 2020, 05:26:53 PM »
I'm not - I just get irritated by pseudo=pedantry.
Pseudo pedantry would be correcting people for calling it the Union Jack, not calling it the Union Flag, however carefully.

Roses

« Reply #3468 on: November 30, 2020, 03:29:01 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55128305

As from this Friday Welsh pubs will not be permitted to serve alcohol and have to close by 6pm. 

ad_orientem

« Reply #3469 on: November 30, 2020, 06:40:33 PM »
What's the point of a pub being open if it can't serve alcohol?
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3470 on: November 30, 2020, 06:41:35 PM »
What's the point of a pub being open if it can't serve alcohol?
I doubt many will.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3471 on: November 30, 2020, 10:49:14 PM »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3472 on: December 02, 2020, 09:40:56 AM »

Congratulations guys! You people in Britain are going to start getting vaccinated (Pfizer) against the Covid 19 as early as next week.  Good going! :)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3473 on: December 02, 2020, 01:44:01 PM »

Congratulations guys! You people in Britain are going to start getting vaccinated (Pfizer) against the Covid 19 as early as next week.  Good going! :)

"You people"? It will take a long time before they get round to the likes of me, not being an NHS or care worker or having any conditions that put me in a high risk group.

Still, it's an absolutely fantastic bit of news.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3474 on: December 02, 2020, 03:22:29 PM »
And even though it is fantastic news, the government (Matt Hancock in this case) just can't help but try to gild the lily by lying:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/02/hancock-brexit-helped-uk-to-speedy-approval-of-covid-vaccine
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.