Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 239976 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3950 on: January 30, 2021, 03:10:29 PM »
Re Sir Desmond Swayne
NFW members have been sent quite a long letter. Latest blog not on line yet. There is one section which I willl quote when I have seen latest blog. He does not lie, and I have no reason to believe that he has done so in his letter even though I have read it only once so far.

Yea - he sounds like a real sweetheart:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-52911053

I think bigoted, unthinking halfwit covers it.

Also he really takes Covid seriously doesn't he? 

The MP for New Forest West sat among the SNP benches in the House of Commons as he argued that Parliament's social-distancing procedures are "ridiculous".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 03:13:08 PM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3951 on: January 30, 2021, 03:17:52 PM »
Also good value for his constituents sleeping on the job and all (2nd photo down):

https://www.aol.co.uk/tory-mp-desmond-swayne-benefits-174847716.html?

He's a keeper ain't he?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3952 on: January 30, 2021, 03:52:26 PM »
Also good value for his constituents sleeping on the job and all (2nd photo down):

https://www.aol.co.uk/tory-mp-desmond-swayne-benefits-174847716.html?

He's a keeper ain't he?

I've come across this clown before: a pretentious and pompous prick if ever there was one but, presumably, the voters in his constituency either haven't noticed or, if they have, they don't care. 

SusanDoris

« Reply #3953 on: January 30, 2021, 06:25:37 PM »
Yea - he sounds like a real sweetheart:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-52911053

I think bigoted, unthinking halfwit covers it.

Also he really takes Covid seriously doesn't he?
I have to say I am somewhat concerned but will do some more reading tomorrow.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3954 on: January 30, 2021, 07:08:42 PM »
5.4 Manufacturing sites AstraZenaca shall use its Best Reasonable Efforts to manufacture the Vaccine at manufacturing sites located within the EU (which for the purposes of this Section 5.4 only shall include the United Kingdom) and may manufacture the Vaccine in non-EU facilities, ...

That seems pretty clear that the UK manufacturing sites are treated in exactly the same way as the EU sites in terms of their obligation to deliver the vaccines the EU ordered.
Except that that seems to be a clause to try to keep manufacturing within the EU. It's a clause that says "you can't use your plant in Africa (as a hypothetical) if you have capacity in the EU or the UK". It does not say "you must use capacity in the UK to make up for lack of capacity in the EU.

It's the wrong part of the contract to be looking at anyway. You need to see the bit which lays out the schedule to which AstraZeneca must deliver the vaccines. If they've not committed to hard numbers by a certain date but they have committed to hard numbers under the UK contract, then the UK gets precedence.

Having just skimmed through the contract, I can't find any commitment to deliver by a specific date in there. There's an estimated monthly schedule but the details are all redacted and it seems that the only sanction that the EU has for late delivery is to suspend payments. If the UK contract has penalties for late delivery, it wouldn't surprise me that AZ would give us preferential treatment.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3955 on: January 30, 2021, 07:09:09 PM »
It would appear the contract uses the term Best Reasonable Efforts.

And it also provides a definition of what that means.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3957 on: January 30, 2021, 07:24:34 PM »
One more point about the EU - AstraZenica thing. The UK "only" ordered 100 million doses. The EU ordered 300 million with an option on a further 100 million. It's a lot easier to fulfil the UK order. I don't know what AZ's capacity is but it may be that, even with the UK capacity, they can't meet what the EU thinks of as their obligations.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3958 on: January 31, 2021, 11:38:11 AM »
Western Australia back in lockdown after 1 community case

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55877150

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3959 on: January 31, 2021, 05:52:05 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3960 on: January 31, 2021, 07:17:42 PM »

SusanDoris

« Reply #3961 on: February 01, 2021, 06:52:40 AM »
Captain Tom Moore in hospital with Covid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-55881508
That is really very bad news indeed. It is very hard for the very old to fight off pneumonia anyway, but to have the added problem of that deadly virus .... well, that's just not fair on this particular gentleman.

Owlswing

« Reply #3962 on: February 01, 2021, 07:34:25 AM »

That is really very bad news indeed. It is very hard for the very old to fight off pneumonia anyway, but to have the added problem of that deadly virus .... well, that's just not fair on this particular gentleman.

Agreed!

Prayers sent.

Owlswing

)O(
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

SusanDoris

« Reply #3963 on: February 01, 2021, 12:35:54 PM »
Sir Desmond Swayne and his comments and scathing criticism thereof by Guardian article quoted in an NS post

This link is to the latest blog. As I mentioned earlier, he has sent out a letter to local Party members and I comment as follows:

He comments on the ‘uncomfortable media coverage’ and apologises for that, but goes on to say that he does not apologise for his opposition to lockdown as a management policy. He gives his reasons for this and says it is a legitimate point of view to be ‘held and debated. He denies the charge of ‘encouraging an anti-vaccine organisation’ and  points out he was speaking to ‘an anti-lockdown group’.
He quotes an exchange between himself and the PM:
site blogs, my speeches in Parliament and indeed, what I said to the PM last Wednesday:

Sir Desmond Swayne
To lift lockdown, will my right hon. Friend focus exclusively on the progress of vaccinations of those who are most likely to be hospitalised if infected? Is it not the case that mission creep beyond hospitalisations would inevitably lead to the diminution of our sense of urgency to lift the restrictions?

The Prime Minister
My right hon. Friend is completely right and he gets to the heart of the problem in the pretend policy that has been announced by the Opposition party. If we were to interfere with the JCVI 1 to 9 list, which is intended to target those most vulnerable and those most at risk of dying or of hospitalisation, we would, of course, interpolate it with other people appointed by politicians, taking vaccines away from the more vulnerable groups and, as he has rightly said, delay our ability to move forward out of lockdown. He is spot on.
Personally, I worry about the extent of the economic problems, not on my own behalf but for my granddaughters and their families as well as all other similar younger people.

Will I still vote for him? Yes- providing I’m alive of course!

And that’s quite enough political thinking for now!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:39:22 PM by SusanDoris »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3964 on: February 01, 2021, 01:01:19 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3965 on: February 01, 2021, 01:04:06 PM »
More issues with tennis and Covid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/55875529

SusanDoris

« Reply #3966 on: February 01, 2021, 02:08:22 PM »
I did also point out that he was being criticised by Michael Gove

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/swayne-may-still-face-party-action-after-refusing-to-apologise-for-covid-remarks/31/01/
I'm afraid I don't take much notice of Michael Gove - not someone who appeals. Not too keen on Priti Patel either!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3967 on: February 01, 2021, 02:09:53 PM »
I'm afraid I don't take much notice of Michael Gove - not someone who appeals. Not too keen on Priti Patel either!
It does make clear though that the concern is not just 'anti- Conservative'

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3968 on: February 01, 2021, 02:30:53 PM »
Stupidity

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-55886085

If you must break the law, don't take a picture of yourself doing it and definitely don't post the picture on social media.

Roses

« Reply #3969 on: February 02, 2021, 11:49:36 AM »
Stupidity

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-55886085

If you must break the law, don't take a picture of yourself doing it and definitely don't post the picture on social media.

That idiot certainly didn't have what passes for a brain in gear. ::)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3972 on: February 02, 2021, 04:26:34 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3973 on: February 02, 2021, 04:40:53 PM »
Von Der Leyen keeps digging

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/02/ursula-von-der-leyen-accuses-uk-of-compromising-on-vaccine-safety?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR1hM0KEg_V0Z4GysXn1o4g3J5Rh04OjgZUCDgqFZ8U8CbCnqw1L8R46MOE

I got the impression from the BBC reporting, when the Pfizer vaccine was approved in Britain, that the reason we approved it earlier than the EU was effectively because our approval body was prepared to meet when the vaccine was ready to be approved rather than wait for the next normal monthly meeting.

The above is just an impression I got and I'm probably wrong, but what is real is that for every day's delay in the vaccine roll out hundreds of thousands more people get infected and thousands of them will eventually die. Yesterday in the UK, nearly 17,000 people tested positive. Several hundred of them will die from the virus and a month ago it was at least three times worse than that. It would have to be a pretty spectacularly unsafe vaccine to make it riskier than that.

She needs to get her own house in order.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3974 on: February 02, 2021, 05:36:53 PM »
And the French only using the Astrazeneca vaccine on over 65s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55901957