Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 239862 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4025 on: February 10, 2021, 01:49:32 PM »
I agree with LR. It is grossly over the top. Say, for arguments sake, it costs £50,000 a year to incarcerate a person. Is this offence really worth potentially costing the state half a million pounds?
The intention though is surely more about deterrent rather than retribution in individual cases. The 10 years is s maximum.

Note none of the above is saying it's right. I feel that the penalties being possibly that high is influenced by a sense of guilt that the actual measure is a bit late, and in terms of only applying to certain countries a bit light

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4026 on: February 12, 2021, 09:40:56 AM »

Roses

« Reply #4027 on: February 12, 2021, 10:28:26 AM »
Australian Open crowds stopped

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-56035668

It is stupid to be playing any sport, which has crowds in the stadium at this time of crisis. >:(
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4028 on: February 12, 2021, 10:31:28 AM »
Got my letter today, inviting me to book an appointment for a jab, but when I tried to, I was told I wasn't eligible yet! I've sent them an online query. It doesn't matter much, because I have the option of ignoring the letter and waiting to be contacted by my GP surgery (The letter is if I want to be jabbed at one of the special centres), but it's annoying.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4029 on: February 13, 2021, 08:58:37 AM »
Received a phone call this morning inviting me and the partner for a vaccination next Saturday. Odd as I'm level 7 (he's 5) but not complaining. It suggests they are really getting through the numbers now.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4030 on: February 13, 2021, 09:24:24 AM »
Got a letter inviting me to book my jabs on line, which I've just done - 1st a week today, 2nd 8th May, both at the local hospital.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4031 on: February 13, 2021, 10:36:25 AM »
We had ours midweek (the Pfizer jab) at the Louisa Jordan in Glasgow: have to say it was very well organised.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4032 on: February 15, 2021, 12:59:08 PM »
The intention though is surely more about deterrent rather than retribution in individual cases. The 10 years is s maximum.

Note none of the above is saying it's right. I feel that the penalties being possibly that high is influenced by a sense of guilt that the actual measure is a bit late, and in terms of only applying to certain countries a bit light

I think it is more the case that some people will not get it into their thick skulls that the lockdown and the quarantine and everything are serious and not to be ignored. The British people have shown that collectively they cannot be trusted to behave responsibly.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Roses

« Reply #4033 on: February 15, 2021, 01:43:40 PM »
Many Brits are behaving responsibly, but it is the idiots who don't that are endangering others. >:(

SusanDoris

« Reply #4035 on: February 18, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »
Depressing

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/17/englands-poorest-areas-hit-by-covid-perfect-storm-leaked-report?fbclid=IwAR1KD4bpkJIvfrbsfKw3jLF1AIwWsgE3GB_w5XRXBMYRu7zOeokP28Cu90k
mmmm, I don't think I'll go to that link. One thing that has surprised - me and caused a frown or two - is the news that a quite high percentage of those who have died with the Covid 19 not only have other health problems but  have some kkind of learning difficulties. I can't remember what the percentage was and that doesn't make the deaths more or less sad, but was the fact suppressed dliberately, or what? Anybody know?
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4036 on: February 18, 2021, 01:18:48 PM »
mmmm, I don't think I'll go to that link. One thing that has surprised - me and caused a frown or two - is the news that a quite high percentage of those who have died with the Covid 19 not only have other health problems but  have some kkind of learning difficulties. I can't remember what the percentage was and that doesn't make the deaths more or less sad, but was the fact suppressed dliberately, or what? Anybody know?
Twice as likely, see link below. I don't think it was suppressed in anyway just hasn't been much discussion of it. Ian Rankin, the author, was on Channel 4 News last night talking about it as he has a son in a care home with learning difficulties and he was arguing that people with learning difficulties should be higher priority than they are.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-learning-disability-deaths-vaccine-b1796604.html

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4037 on: February 18, 2021, 01:24:05 PM »
I can't understand why a learning disability as such should put someone at greater risk. I know Down's syndrome people are high-risk, but they usually have physical problems as well, and tend not to live to a great age in any case.

Roses

« Reply #4038 on: February 18, 2021, 01:40:38 PM »
The only physical problem our DS son has is G6PD deficiency, common among people like him of Greek Cypriot origin. Generally he is in very good health as long as he avoids broad beans and medications which can cause him problems. He had his first dose of the vaccine on Monday, which doesn't seem to have caused him any side effects.

SusanDoris

« Reply #4039 on: February 18, 2021, 02:47:34 PM »
Twice as likely, see link below. I don't think it was suppressed in anyway just hasn't been much discussion of it. Ian Rankin, the author, was on Channel 4 News last night talking about it as he has a son in a care home with learning difficulties and he was arguing that people with learning difficulties should be higher priority than they are.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-learning-disability-deaths-vaccine-b1796604.html
Thank you - that puts things in perspective a bit more.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4040 on: February 19, 2021, 12:55:15 AM »
Thank you - that puts things in perspective a bit more.
It would appear that the impacts can be considerably higher than that as well with figures of 1 in 3 in Scotland and 1 in 6 in England, higher in some age groups comparatively. The link below covers this as well as the MSPs trying to get the Scottish Govt to change the priorities.

https://healthandcare.scot/mobile_default.asp?page=story&story=2467&fbclid=IwAR0fDVyD1N2erMUbMlXciRW_PjkvnzF4ZYztazONzfyhlPzRGOcWA3uQxuU

Roses

« Reply #4041 on: February 19, 2021, 12:14:26 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-56111548

Here in Wales we are in lockdown for at least another three weeks.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4042 on: February 19, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »

No new dental students in Scotland this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56112743

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4043 on: February 19, 2021, 07:21:53 PM »
As a decision saying the UK govt broke the law, this is very much meh!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56125462

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4045 on: February 20, 2021, 11:22:50 AM »
Just had my first jab (Astra Zeneca). Take that, Covid-19!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4046 on: February 20, 2021, 11:23:10 AM »
Just had my first jab (Astra Zeneca). Take that, Covid-19!
Hurrah

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4047 on: February 20, 2021, 11:24:25 AM »
And huzzah!

Gordon

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4049 on: February 20, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »
Also had my vaccination this morning. AZ.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.