Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 239806 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4450 on: July 26, 2021, 10:51:08 PM »
I'm more concerned that this sudden drop in cases might be an artefact of the testing process, or worse, a sign of deliberate manipulation.

Or maybe that people are deleting the app and not getting tested?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4451 on: July 26, 2021, 11:03:00 PM »
Or maybe that people are deleting the app and not getting tested?
There has been a slight reduction in testing numbers, but nothing like the reduction in case numbers:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

Compare left and right graphs.

Deleting the app isn't going to affect testing number - rather it will decrease the 'ping-demic'. It think the reduction in testing is because schools have broken up and schools have been testing twice per week and that expectation isn't the same now the school holidays are here.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4452 on: July 27, 2021, 04:14:13 PM »

Not a great look from Sturgeon

https://archive.is/nTiK5

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4453 on: August 03, 2021, 09:50:33 AM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4454 on: August 04, 2021, 06:56:50 AM »
Cstch covid for frrrreeeeeeedddddddooooommmmm!

https://www.indy100.com/politics/neil-oliver-gb-news-covid-monologue-b1895098
Is he aware that, even if you don’t die from COVID-19, the effects can still be long term?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4455 on: August 04, 2021, 08:51:33 AM »
Cstch covid for frrrreeeeeeedddddddooooommmmm!

https://www.indy100.com/politics/neil-oliver-gb-news-covid-monologue-b1895098
And to think I used to like that right-wing dickhead when he presented 'Coast'!
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4456 on: August 04, 2021, 09:09:11 AM »
And to think I used to like that right-wing dickhead when he presented 'Coast'!

He should have stuck with archaeology.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4457 on: August 04, 2021, 09:43:29 AM »
Yet more incompetence:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58080232

While I agree with this, why on earth didn't they sort it out earlier, rather than announce it a couple of weeks into the summer holidays meaning it is going to be pretty well impossible to action until Sept.

Schools are highly experienced at organising themselves as vaccine centres, so had they sorted this earlier the 16 and 17 year-olds (that chose to) could have had their first jab in mid July in school with the second jab second week in Sept to be double jabbed (again in school) by the middle of next month. Announcing it now means it is likely they won't be double jabbed until November.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4458 on: August 05, 2021, 11:10:33 AM »
Just got my official vaccination confirmation. Not having a smartphone, I needed it in paper form, so I ordered one online, and here it is.
https://flic.kr/p/2mfsY9U
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

ad_orientem

« Reply #4459 on: August 07, 2021, 02:14:47 PM »
Don't know what everyone else here thinks but I'm not comfortable with this vaccine passport thing. I believe that as many people as possible should be vaccinated. I have. The authorities need to encourage people to be vaccinated because the medical evidence is in its favour. I don't agree with excluding people from society though, even if they are stupid enough not to want to take it.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Spud

« Reply #4460 on: August 07, 2021, 03:45:25 PM »
Vaccine passports aren't a good idea in my opinion, but telling people they will miss the fun and offering shopping vouchers and a chance to win £5k if you have the jab is bribery. Would you respect your doctor if he offered you money to receive his treatment?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4461 on: August 07, 2021, 05:00:45 PM »
I think vaccine passports have problems around issues like how long are they valid due to waning immunity, but in principle I have no objection. Indeed, if some oik can't be bothered to protect him or herself why should the rest of us be put at risk by allowing them in to the same space as responsible people.*

*  With the obvious exemptions being allowed.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4462 on: August 07, 2021, 08:37:42 PM »
I'm all for vaccine passports, with exemptions for those with a medical reason not to be vaccinated, and was arguing for them when vaccines first appeared.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4463 on: August 07, 2021, 10:04:15 PM »
I'm all for vaccine passports, with exemptions for those with a medical reason not to be vaccinated, and was arguing for them when vaccines first appeared.
what's your definition of a medical reason? How about that some vaccines may be more dangerous for ypung people than not having it? Hoe about that there has not been detailed testing on pregnant women? 

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4464 on: August 08, 2021, 09:49:45 AM »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4465 on: August 08, 2021, 10:05:46 AM »
How about that some vaccines may be more dangerous for ypung people than not having it?
If that is the case they wouldn't be approved for use by the relevant regulatory body.

For approval to be given for use the benefits of the vaccine must outweigh any risks.

So from the Dr June Raine, MHRA Chief Executive:

'We have carefully reviewed clinical trial data in children aged 12 to 15 years and have concluded that the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective in this age group and that the benefits of this vaccine outweigh any risk.'

And Professor Sir Munir Pirmohamed, Chair of the Commission on Human Medicines:
"We have been very careful to take into consideration the younger age group and the benefits of this population being vaccinated against any potential risk of side effects. There has been a thorough assessment and review of this data which was also looked at specifically by the CHM’s Paediatric Medicines Expert Advisory Group who are scientific experts within this age group, as well as the CHM’s COVID-19 Vaccines Benefit Risk Expert Working Group.

We have concluded that based on the data we have seen on the quality, effectiveness and safety of the vaccine, its benefits do outweigh any risk."

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #4466 on: August 08, 2021, 02:52:23 PM »
Don't know what everyone else here thinks but I'm not comfortable with this vaccine passport thing. I believe that as many people as possible should be vaccinated. I have. The authorities need to encourage people to be vaccinated because the medical evidence is in its favour. I don't agree with excluding people from society though, even if they are stupid enough not to want to take it.
I agree in principle.

... However, as time has passed, in practice I feel that most of those constantly arguing for "freedom" and "liberty", refusing to wear masks and carrying on as normal are dickheads who really couldn't care less about who gets ill or how badly, and might even consider the pensioner death toll as a good thing.

So... fuck them, lets have vaccine passports for any and all activities, no jobs without jabs and ID cards showing vaccination status, medical conditions and exemptions.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Spud

« Reply #4467 on: August 08, 2021, 05:20:31 PM »
I think vaccine passports have problems around issues like how long are they valid due to waning immunity, but in principle I have no objection. Indeed, if some oik can't be bothered to protect him or herself why should the rest of us be put at risk by allowing them in to the same space as responsible people.*

*  With the obvious exemptions being allowed.
This study suggests that vaccination, and hence vaccine passports, do not guarantee that someone can't be infected or infect someone else.
The vaccine at present protects from serious disease, but not infection. The passport might tell us that its owner is less likely to need hospitalization.

Spud

« Reply #4468 on: August 08, 2021, 05:38:10 PM »
By reducing severity of symptoms the vaccine may reduce transmission (sg through coughing). But in crowded spaces the risk of transmission through breathing will go up. So it's no use letting people into crowded venues simply on the condition of them having had the vaccine. They also need to have had a recent negative test.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4469 on: August 08, 2021, 05:39:06 PM »
This study suggests that vaccination, and hence vaccine passports, do not guarantee that someone can't be infected or infect someone else.
The vaccine at present protects from serious disease, but not infection. The passport might tell us that its owner is less likely to need hospitalization.

This has been known for some time, as has the fact that you are less likely to pass the virus on and the length of time you stay infectious is shorter. As with all vaccines they are not 100% effective. Also if you are double vaccinated you are three times less likely to become infected.

Report here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/227713/coronavirus-infections-three-times-lower-double/

The more people who are vaccinated the safer we all are. A fact that the immunologist in your link, Manuel Santos Rosa, acknowledges as he is pushing for vaccination of children. (Report here: https://www.portugalresident.com/portuguese-immunologist-says-it-is-more-and-more-important-that-children-and-young-people-are-vaccinated/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 05:47:54 PM by Trentvoyager »

Spud

« Reply #4470 on: August 08, 2021, 05:42:51 PM »
The more people who are vaccinated the safer we all are.
This totally ignores that most people, especially the young, can eliminate the virus before they develop antibodies.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4471 on: August 08, 2021, 05:50:09 PM »
This totally ignores that most people, especially the young, can eliminate the virus before they develop antibodies.
Err - how would they eliminate the virus without developing antibodies which is a key element of the immune response that is responsible for ... err ... eliminating the virus.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4472 on: August 08, 2021, 05:50:28 PM »

See my amended post. The immunologist you quoted to support your post says children should be vaccinated. Take it up with him if you are certain you know more about the subject than he does.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #4473 on: August 08, 2021, 05:54:32 PM »

How have you found that they had the virus if they have no antibodies?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Spud

« Reply #4474 on: August 08, 2021, 06:13:09 PM »
Err - how would they eliminate the virus without developing antibodies which is a key element of the immune response that is responsible for ... err ... eliminating the virus.
Sorry - I should have clarified this. People have "natural antibodies", antibodies that are not developed in response to Covid-19, which consist of IgM, IgG and I think IgA. These are not specific for particular viruses, but can bind to and eliminate them. People also have Natural Killer cells, a class of lymphocyte that destroys infected cells. These are the mechanisms by which people recover from infection within a week or two, before covid-soecific antibodies develop.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 06:21:33 PM by Spud »