Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 239464 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4800 on: December 09, 2021, 12:54:28 PM »
And Stratton is gone. Good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59584736

I don't see anything good about it. She's lost her job for a very minor point but all the people who were at the party (and thus breaking the law) and the prime minister who is continually lying about the party remain employed.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #4801 on: December 09, 2021, 01:30:47 PM »
I don't see anything good about it. She's lost her job for a very minor point but all the people who were at the party (and thus breaking the law) and the prime minister who is continually lying about the party remain employed.

hmm. on the whole she was good at her job -  putting a gloss on Boris' lies and misdirection. And, though one could feel sorry at her tearful statement, she didn't speak the truth about what she knew about rule breaking at No 10. It was just a bit of PR, getting her out of the issue.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4802 on: December 09, 2021, 02:09:48 PM »
hmm. on the whole she was good at her job -  putting a gloss on Boris' lies and misdirection.
Not sure she was - don't forget that she was originally brought in to front daily press conferences - that never happened, presumably because she simply wasn't good enough to fulfil that role. You may ask therefore how she got the job - the fact that she is a chum (or is that chum-ess) of Sunak and Carrie Symonds couldn't possibly have anything to do with why she was appointed, could it ;).

And, though one could feel sorry at her tearful statement, she didn't speak the truth about what she knew about rule breaking at No 10. It was just a bit of PR, getting her out of the issue.
A classic case of being sorry for getting caught, rather than being sorry for what she did.

And of course the dry-run press conference, as jaw droopingly appalling as it was, isn't really the issue here. The issue is the illegal party held at no10 that precipitated the need to plan for what to say when the press got hold of the story.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 02:44:49 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4803 on: December 09, 2021, 02:39:19 PM »

We'll have to differ. One less cheerleader for the liar in chief is a good thing in my mind. Although I do agree the others involved should lose their jobs as well.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4804 on: December 09, 2021, 06:01:27 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4805 on: December 09, 2021, 07:03:35 PM »
More from Cold War Steve

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4806 on: December 09, 2021, 07:16:46 PM »
I like that: I'm not a fan of the Monarchy but it would be wonderful if there were some ancient and obscure precedent that allowed the Queen to dismiss Johnson for being a lying arsehole.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4807 on: December 10, 2021, 02:45:17 PM »
The suggestion from the Scottish govt that people defer 'Christmas parties' seems problematic to me in that no suppirt is being given to the hospitality industry as a result of this 'suggestion'

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #4808 on: December 11, 2021, 03:55:34 PM »
https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/newsevents/news/2021/modelling-potential-impact-omicron-england

Latest LSHTM modelling (paper still to be peer reviewed) wrt. Omicron, suggests possible 25,000 to 75,000 Covid deaths over the next 5 months, depending on social distancing measures or restrictions.

Spud

« Reply #4809 on: December 11, 2021, 07:34:42 PM »
Bulgaria and Ukraine, 26% and 28% fully vaccinated, have both past the peak of their third wave. Cases in Russia also seem to be declining - good news. Perhaps things are moving more slowly there due to lower temperatures (currently -13` in Moscow)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4810 on: December 12, 2021, 05:34:38 PM »
Oh shit! Johnson to mumble at the nation after Strictly, possibly to announce last year's Christmas party winners. If there are more restrictions, then the acts of the UK Govt will have undermined people's likelihood to comply.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59629916

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4811 on: December 12, 2021, 08:38:17 PM »
Underwhelming performing from the racist incompetent lying thug

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4812 on: December 12, 2021, 09:34:59 PM »
Underwhelming performing from the racist incompetent lying thug

All the gravitas of a whelk with none of the abilities.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4813 on: December 16, 2021, 11:41:31 AM »
Led by Donkeys take on the Met:

https://youtu.be/9Y18CrgFdh4
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4814 on: December 16, 2021, 04:51:24 PM »
Plague Island

BREAKINGRecord daily UK coronavirus cases for second day in a row

A further 88,376 coronavirus cases have been reported in the UK, according to the government's daily figures.

There have also been another 146 deaths within 28 days of a positive test.

The UK reported 78,610 cases yesterday.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4815 on: December 16, 2021, 06:29:25 PM »
Led by Donkeys take on the Met:

https://youtu.be/9Y18CrgFdh4

There is a case to be made that Boris Johnson has single handedly destroyed this country. And this party thing makes me so angry because it makes it blatantly obvious that he just doesn't care.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4816 on: December 17, 2021, 09:44:58 AM »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4817 on: December 17, 2021, 04:24:21 PM »
Another twist in the hugely entertaining pantomime of Tories having parties when they shouldn't - it seems that the Cabinet Secretary, a Simon Case, who is charged with investigated said parties himself had a party.

Various quotes about this can be found in the Guardian Live blog. I'm enjoying the schadenfreude.

It appears that the Cabinet Secretary’s office had covid law breaching Xmas parties too
The same Cabinet Secretary, Simon Case, tasked by Boris Johnson to investigate Xmas parties
Shouldn’t be difficult to investigate!
We’re now in pure Alice in Wonderland territory

Right so everyone in Westminster who had a lockdown-busting Christmas party is now just briefing against everyone else in Westminster who also had a Christmas party, in some sort of circular firing squad where executions are conducted with cheap prosecco.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #4818 on: December 17, 2021, 04:56:12 PM »
Another twist in the hugely entertaining pantomime of Tories having parties when they shouldn't - it seems that the Cabinet Secretary, a Simon Case, who is charged with investigated said parties himself had a party.

Various quotes about this can be found in the Guardian Live blog. I'm enjoying the schadenfreude.

Yup .. also the BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59701369

Just the sheer cheek of accepting the role as head of the inquiry into the Downing St. parties is astonishing.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4819 on: December 17, 2021, 04:59:29 PM »

Yes I'd seen this too - details are apparently:

'Simon Case and team had a Christmas party on Dec 17 2020 at 5.30 pm in room 103 of the Cabinet Office. The digital calendar invites sent in advance called it "Christmas party!"'

How can he head an investigation into alleged christmas parties, when his own office was clearly inviting people to a Christmas party at a physical location (so clearly not purely virtual Zoom).

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4820 on: December 17, 2021, 05:05:06 PM »
I think the only explanation is that Johnson is a 'Typhoid Tory' figure, with apologies to 'Typhoid Mary': everyone who associates with him seemingly gets infected whilst he carries on regardless.

He, like Mary, needs to be quarantined on a long-term basis to protect the rest of us.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #4821 on: December 17, 2021, 05:10:44 PM »
I think the only explanation is that Johnson is a 'Typhoid Tory' figure, with apologies to 'Typhoid Mary': everyone who associates with him seemingly gets infected whilst he carries on regardless.

He, like Mary, needs to be quarantined on a long-term basis to protect the rest of us.

Suspect it is already too late ... corruption may already be spreading down through the civil service.   

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4822 on: December 17, 2021, 05:52:39 PM »
It's now being reported that Simon is off the Case (again Guardian Live blog).

Simon Case is no longer leading the Whitehall investigation in lockdown rule breaking in Downing Street

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4823 on: December 17, 2021, 06:05:56 PM »
I'm thoroughly enjoying this: Marina Hyde notes:

Case is off the case. Asked to turn in his gun and party hat.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4824 on: December 18, 2021, 10:48:17 AM »
For those who like this sort of thing (I do) interactive graphics about vaccine rollouts and boosters across the world:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2021/dec/17/vaccine-rollout-data-by-country-shows-who-has-vaccinated-faster-and-why-exposing-the-global-covid-19-divide

(Still working my way through it)