Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 239236 times)

ad_orientem

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #5050 on: May 29, 2022, 07:38:49 PM »
I had my third jab (Pfizer) at the end of December. Got covid three weeks ago but thanks to the vaccine it was very mild. Apart from the first day when my legs ached I hardly had any symptoms at all. Definitely worth getting a booster. I had no problems with it. I suppose this counts as my fourth jab now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 07:52:08 PM by ad_orientem »
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #5051 on: May 30, 2022, 06:03:49 AM »

Thanks Dicky and ad_orientem! That is helpful. I am taking my booster tomorrow.

Thanks guys!  :)

Spud

« Reply #5052 on: May 30, 2022, 05:22:20 PM »
I've managed with toothpaste (Colgate "cavity protection with calcium" - frequent use) a car heater and about 20 hankies. No shots, jabs, pricks, aching arms, and no more than a runny nose and bit of a cough at any time. Three of my friends got boosted recently and were off sick (very) following it.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 05:28:05 PM by Spud »

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #5053 on: May 30, 2022, 05:54:50 PM »
I've managed with toothpaste (Colgate "cavity protection with calcium" - frequent use) a car heater and about 20 hankies. No shots, jabs, pricks, aching arms, and no more than a runny nose and bit of a cough at any time. Three of my friends got boosted recently and were off sick (very) following it.
And that is simply anecdotal, compared with the thousands who have died because they didn't get vaccinated. Most likely your friends had been well infected with Covid before they had their jabs, there being so much Covid 19 about.
I once got horrible respiratory symptoms directly after a flu jab. Was this the jab? - I think not, since I've had numerous flu jabs before and since with no problems. The most likely explanation - as I suggest above - was that I was well infected before I had the jab.
Can't think why you're so resistant to jabs. Your attitude would have the world awash with smallpox and polio.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Spud

« Reply #5054 on: May 30, 2022, 07:40:07 PM »
Dicky,
Smallpox and polio were a differen kettle of fish.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 10:01:04 AM by Spud »

Spud

« Reply #5055 on: May 30, 2022, 07:41:49 PM »
I forgot to mention a Wisdom 'smokers' toothbrush. I don't smoke, but it cleans like hygienist equipment. I am sure it reduces viral load.

Maeght

« Reply #5056 on: May 31, 2022, 08:55:50 AM »
I forgot to mention a Wisdom 'smokers' toothbrush. I don't smoke, but it cleans like hygienist equipment. I am sure it reduces viral load.

From what I have seen there is evidence that toothpaste can reduce the salivary viral load in people who are infected - so probably giving a reduction in transmission - but none regarding them helping prevent catching Covid-19.

https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-health/threats-to-dental-health/new-research-for-toothpaste-and-mouthwash-effects-on-covid-19-virus

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0020653922000697

Do you know of any evidence regarding it being protective?

Spud

« Reply #5057 on: May 31, 2022, 01:25:05 PM »
From what I have seen there is evidence that toothpaste can reduce the salivary viral load in people who are infected - so probably giving a reduction in transmission - but none regarding them helping prevent catching Covid-19.

https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-health/threats-to-dental-health/new-research-for-toothpaste-and-mouthwash-effects-on-covid-19-virus

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0020653922000697

Do you know of any evidence regarding it being protective?
References 8-11 here suggest that:
"in elderly persons who reside in nursing homes, evidence suggests tooth brushing decreases the incidence of pneumonia and decreases mortality rates.8 Numerous studies of elderly persons who routinely received professional oral care have demonstrated improved outcomes: fewer febrile days and decreased rates of influenza or pneumonia.9–11"
My thinking is that using microbe-neutralizing toothpaste and a firm toothbrush (with a medium or small head) to remove plaque from the teeth, would free up salivary IgA as there are less microbes for it to combat in the mouth. That IgA can then act on any virus that enters the throat from the nose.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 01:28:40 PM by Spud »

Maeght

« Reply #5058 on: May 31, 2022, 01:39:16 PM »
"in elderly persons who reside in nursing homes, evidence suggests tooth brushing decreases the incidence of pneumonia and decreases mortality rates.8 Numerous studies of elderly persons who routinely received professional oral care have demonstrated improved outcomes: fewer febrile days and decreased rates of influenza or pneumonia.9–11"
My thinking is that using microbe-neutralizing toothpaste and a firm toothbrush (with a medium or small head) to remove plaque from the teeth, would free up salivary IgA as there are less microbes for it to combat in the mouth. That IgA can then act on any virus that enters the throat from the nose.

That may be your thinking but any evidence for it? I understand your point - if all or much of the salivary IgA was used to defend against bacteria in the mouth due to poor dental hygiene then this might mean a lower level of protection against Sars-Cov-2 but is there any actual evidence of that? Any idea of whether this is a real factor?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 01:46:42 PM by Maeght »

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #5059 on: May 31, 2022, 02:00:25 PM »
Possibly less chance of respiratory infections in the edentulous, then? (Provided they put their dentures in Steradent overnight.)
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

Spud

« Reply #5060 on: May 31, 2022, 08:58:38 PM »
That may be your thinking but any evidence for it? I understand your point - if all or much of the salivary IgA was used to defend against bacteria in the mouth due to poor dental hygiene then this might mean a lower level of protection against Sars-Cov-2 but is there any actual evidence of that? Any idea of whether this is a real factor?
Alas, no - and I think it's the IgM that responds first, anyway, the so-called natural antibodies that can bind without having had previous encounter with the virus.

Spud

« Reply #5061 on: May 31, 2022, 09:05:35 PM »
I wondered if this might interest anyone. I don't know how much of it is true but it's an explanation for the apparent increased susceptibility of vaccinated people to infection with Omicron.

Maeght

« Reply #5062 on: June 01, 2022, 07:38:15 AM »
I wondered if this might interest anyone. I don't know how much of it is true but it's an explanation for the apparent increased susceptibility of vaccinated people to infection with Omicron.

What apparent increased susceptibility?

Spud

« Reply #5063 on: June 01, 2022, 01:26:19 PM »
What apparent increased susceptibility?
When (until a few months ago) the vaccine surveillance report used to give data for infections in unvaccinated and vaccinated people, the infection rates were consistently higher in the latter group. This coincided with Omicron taking over.

Spud

« Reply #5064 on: June 01, 2022, 01:36:49 PM »
See for example data for over 18 agegrouos, page 45 of Covid 19 vaccine surveillance report week 8, 2022.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #5065 on: June 01, 2022, 02:11:34 PM »
See for example data for over 18 agegrouos, page 45 of Covid 19 vaccine surveillance report week 8, 2022.

Oh, I see ... another brilliant analysis ... all just by avoiding reading the footnotes!

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #5066 on: June 01, 2022, 02:27:01 PM »
When (until a few months ago) the vaccine surveillance report used to give data for infections in unvaccinated and vaccinated people, the infection rates were consistently higher in the latter group. This coincided with Omicron taking over.

More helpful and certainly more important to look at the role vaccination plays in preventing death:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #5067 on: June 01, 2022, 05:37:58 PM »
Dicky,
Smallpox and polio were a differen kettle of fish.

In that they could both kill or cause life-long disablement, they are very much the same kettle of fish. Insofar as the research done was largely hit and miss and based on anecdote and some small amount of empirical experience with smallpox, the medics of the time were way behind the vast researches of modern medicine into the various types of corona virus. It was this research the world-wide medical experts drew as a basis of their development of Covid19 vaccines (whereas with smallpox before Jenner, they even tried inoculation with live smallpox on occasion). There is a difference in that vaccination against smallpox and polio conferred longer immunity than vaccines against Covid19, but the basic principle is the same.
The fact that occasional side-effects have been noted with Covid19 vaccines does little to counter the arguments that such vaccines largely prevent serious illness, lifelong disablement or death (in potentially millions of people) from the virus and its variants.
I don't quite understand what you're afraid of, unless you've been infected with ludicrous conspiracy theories. When one realises that nations throughout the world who have long been on not the best, or even hostile, relations, have all concurred in the importance of vaccination, the idea of some horrible conspiracy going on (by whom and against whom?) becomes utterly ridiculous.

Le Bon David

Spud

« Reply #5068 on: June 01, 2022, 07:44:11 PM »
Oh, I see ... another brilliant analysis ... all just by avoiding reading the footnotes!
Could you explan how the data for case rates per 100,000 unvaccinated can consistently show that vaccination makes you twice as likely (roughly) to test positive if you're over 18?

Maeght

« Reply #5069 on: June 01, 2022, 08:05:41 PM »
Could you explan how the data for case rates per 100,000 unvaccinated can consistently show that vaccination makes you twice as likely (roughly) to test positive if you're over 18?

On page 45 it says 'Comparing case rates among vaccinated and unvaccinated populations should not be used to estimate vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19 infection' then goes on to explain why.

https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-omicronvariant-breakthroughpro/fact-check-article-examining-the-probability-of-omicron-variant-breakthrough-cases-is-misinterpreted-online-idUSL1N2T81PO
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 08:14:48 PM by Maeght »

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #5070 on: June 01, 2022, 08:48:42 PM »
Having looked back through the thread (belatedly), I see that your concerns have regularly been answered by people far better informed than myself. I've concluded that the answer to your objections does not lie in the areas of virology or immunology - it's a matter of psychology.
Are you on a campaign to warn the world against a medically unsound practice that could cause serious harm to thousands, perhaps millions? If so, I assume that you're a devotee of Mr. (sic) Andrew Wakefield and other charlatans.
The truth is Covid19 has caused thousands of deaths and disablement, especially in the early days of the epidemic before vaccines were available, and now there are fewer such.

Le Bon David

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #5071 on: June 01, 2022, 09:53:33 PM »

As is carefully explained in the notes, the raw data figures provided by the ONS, based on unrepresentative samples, cannot be used to compare infection rates between vaccinated and unvaccinated groups.

The case rates in the vaccinated and unvaccinated populations are unadjusted crude rates that do not take into account underlying statistical biases in the data and there are likely to be systematic differences between these 2 population groups. For example:
• testing behaviour is likely to be different between people with different vaccination status, resulting in differences in the chances of being identified as a case
• many of those who were at the head of the queue for vaccination are those at higher risk from COVID-19 due to their age, their occupation, their family circumstances or because of underlying health issues
• people who are fully vaccinated and people who are unvaccinated may behave differently, particularly with regard to social interactions and therefore may have differing levels of exposure to COVID-19
• people who have never been vaccinated are more likely to have caught COVID-19 in the weeks or months before the period of the cases covered in the report. This gives them some natural immunity to the virus which may have contributed to a lower case rate in the past few weeks

To properly study the effect of vaccination requires work to ensure the biases and differences in the populations being compared do not skew the results. The various studies for the different cases are listed in pages 13 to 15. If you check out those you can see how the data are processed - but they will not be based on the raw data from the ONS database. In any case, the report itself provides a summary of the vaccine effectiveness results in Table 2.

The ONS report is reporting generally on vaccination coverage, impact, and so on .. not providing raw data for analysis.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Spud

« Reply #5072 on: June 02, 2022, 12:07:36 PM »
Thanks chaps,

Here is a long post which I will submit because otherwise it will seem like a waste of time writing it! I knew post 5061 would open a can of worms, and I wasn't expecting to learn what I have since learned regarding the data in the vaccine surveillance reports.

I was wanting to have a discussion about this quite a while back but I left it. The reason I bring it up now is because the message in the talk I linked to in 5061 is, in summary:

Covid vaccines induce neutralizing antibodies, which are effective against the original strain.
These antibodies bind much less well to the highly mutated Omicron spike.
The vaccines also induce non-neutralizing antibodies against 'conserved' (less mutated) parts of the spike.
When the neutralizing abs are doing their job, the non-neutralizing abs cannot bind to the spike. But when the neutralizing abs stop doing their job, as with Omicron, the non-neutralizing abs can bind much more readily.
At a molecular level, when the non-neutralizing abs bind to the spike, this has the effect of forcing the spike into the 'open conformation' which enables it to bind to ACE2. Thus they enhance infection.

Thus (according to the theory) although boosters increase a person's levels of neutralizing abs, they cannot bind well to Omicron and so the non-neutralizing abs, now binding more to the spike, enhance infection.

So the thrust of the message is that vaccination against omicron is leading to antibody-dependant enhancement of infection (not disease).

The prediction made based on the continued high circulation of the virus is that high immune pressure is now being placed on the virulence of the virus. To explain: the non-neutralizing antibodies, while enhancing infection, also prevent severe systemic disease, for example in the lung, where they suppress trans-infection of alveolar cells.
The virus needs to increase the severity of disease in order to transmit itself better in this environment of high immune pressure. So mutation that can enable a greater level of infection in the lower respiratory tract will over time be selected for, as long as the infection rate remains high.
This would lead to a severe wave of mortality.

It seems to me that this theory depends on interpreting the available data to mean that infection rates are higher in vaccinated people.

So regarding that data:
The vaccine surveillance reports say that "in order to estimate vaccine effectiveness against infection, repeat asymptomatic testing of a defined cohort of individuals is required. Studies have now reported on vaccine effectiveness against infection in healthcare workers, care home residents and the general population".

I hadn't taken this on board until you pointed it out. However, the data for cases in the general UK population still look high enough in the vaccinated groups (over 18) to be significant despite confounding factors. But let's assume that negative vaccine efficacy for people with three doses is generally not happening.

Data is not yet available for vaccine effectiveness against Omicron after 6 months. One thing to note (see COVID-19 vaccine surveillance report Week 16 2022, table 3) is that after 3 months, it drops to 30% for people who've had only 2 vaccine doses. Data for 4-6 months is insufficient except for Astra Zenica, which has a range of 0-35%. Data for 6+ months is insufficient.

So negative efficacy may happen for people who have not been boosted, after 6 months from their second jab. But we don't know, because most people had the booster before that time.

So for people who weren't vaccinated who survived the pre-omicron waves, they may now have at least as good protection against Omicron as those with two doses.

The question remains as to whether continually boosting the population with antibodies that were well matched for the original strain is driving the dominant circulation of immune escape variants, and whether this will ultimately lead to strains that have increased virulence.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:10:20 PM by Spud »

Maeght

« Reply #5073 on: June 02, 2022, 06:33:02 PM »
Prefacing everything with the acknowledgement that I am not an expert ........

From what I have read, yes, what you describe is possible but it is/has been watched out for an not seen yet according to the experts. I have also read that the consequences of ADE are acute & dramatically and kills quickly and this has not been seen (this was on a website which required registration to read in full and I only got a greyed out 'glimpse' but that is what was clearly said.

This is interesting https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/all.15264

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #5074 on: June 03, 2022, 03:57:11 PM »
Spud

Please note what the following article says about the immunological function of the T cells and the Fc receptors in particular. The article doesn't seem to deny the possible truth of the phenomenon to which you're drawing attention, but points out that this is far from the whole story.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.news-medical.net/amp/news/20220103/Omicron-spike-specific-binding-antibodies-attenuate-disease-despite-increasing-transmission.aspx&ved=2ahUKEwiC7dbrwJH4AhV-QEEAHe_JDboQFnoECB0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2kkmHfbMxV9zOfdCTyQkoR
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 04:04:53 PM by Dicky Underpants »

Le Bon David