Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 240577 times)

ProfessorDavey

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3125 on: September 26, 2020, 10:19:17 PM »
I agree with most of that but it doesn't impact on my belief that the current piecemeal lockdowns are an overreaction.  The impacts and costs are not just financial, and in not learning to live with Covid we simply continue to ignore those costs.
What does 'learning to live with with Covid' mean in your view NS.

To me that is exactly what we are doing at the moment - flexing restrictions to keep the virus from running completely out of control, overwhelming the ability of the health service to cope and leading to hundreds of thousands of deaths. We are not getting it right all the time, and given that we are in a new exponential growth phase those restrictions need to be pretty stringent - in my view more so than they are at the moment, certainly at national level.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:37:02 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3126 on: September 27, 2020, 08:47:05 AM »

Learning to live with Covid19 is not quite the same as living with flu or measles or dengue.  These infections are nowhere as infectious or as deadly as Covid19.

If a person gets flu or measles, the person is relatively isolated, lies in bed for a week or 10 days and gets well again. Everyone else else goes about their business.

But with Covid it is different. Everyone else could be infected and could face potentially life threatening situations.

Even with vaccines, unless some form of an effective treatment and medication is found to reduce the intensity of covid...'living with it' is going to be very difficult.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3128 on: September 28, 2020, 11:07:44 AM »

Learning to live with Covid19 is not quite the same as living with flu or measles or dengue.  These infections are nowhere as infectious or as deadly as Covid19.

Measles is far more infectious than COVID19. It's R0 is somewhere between 12 and 18 apparently. It's also pretty lethal in some places, for example it kills a lot more people in Africa than ebola. If everybody in the UK lost their immunity, measles would instantly sweep across the country and probably kill 30 - 60 thousand people.

If a person gets flu or measles, the person is relatively isolated, lies in bed for a week or 10 days and gets well again. Everyone else else goes about their business.
Everybody doesn't get well again. If we allowed it to, measles would kill one person in about two thousand patients in the UK. Flu does kill between 10 and 30 thousand people each year in the UK.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3132 on: October 01, 2020, 08:22:00 PM »
Also Boris's Dad and Jeremy Corbyn.
Corbyn should be suspended. Elder Johnson should be fined but it isn't the same.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3133 on: October 01, 2020, 08:35:17 PM »
Corbyn should be suspended. Elder Johnson should be fined but it isn't the same.

No, I didn't mean to imply I thought they were as serious as standing up and giving a speech in the H of C when you believe you have COVID19, but they still both broke the rules even though they should have known better.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3134 on: October 01, 2020, 08:44:01 PM »
No, I didn't mean to imply I thought they were as serious as standing up and giving a speech in the H of C when you believe you have COVID19, but they still both broke the rules even though they should have known better.
Corbyn should be suspended by the Labour Party because they have supported the decisions on 'lockdown'. It isn't just a matter of personal hypocrisy. Stanley Johnson isn't an MP so whatever happens is different.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3135 on: October 02, 2020, 07:58:06 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54381848

This qualifies for three threads. I’ll post it here for now.

Trump has tested positive.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3136 on: October 02, 2020, 11:16:00 AM »
Nicola urges Ferrier to resign. Good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54383281

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3138 on: October 02, 2020, 02:00:28 PM »
It's all sorted I've sent a bottle of bleach by courier.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SusanDoris

« Reply #3139 on: October 02, 2020, 02:41:31 PM »
It's all sorted I've sent a bottle of bleach by courier.
:) Nice one!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3140 on: October 02, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
Seen elsewhere:

*RBG has just won her first oral argument with God!*
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3141 on: October 02, 2020, 10:36:29 PM »
Newsflash: Trump reportedly moved to a medical facility.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3142 on: October 02, 2020, 10:40:25 PM »
Newsflash: Trump reportedly moved to a medical facility.
He's going to have a wisdom tooth put in.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3143 on: October 02, 2020, 10:44:28 PM »
He's going to have a wisdom tooth put in.

Badum tish  ;D

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

ad_orientem

« Reply #3145 on: October 04, 2020, 03:01:28 PM »
Bars over here to close early again. Probably the rght move. Over the whole country they have to close at 12pm but in the worst affected areas, where I live, 10pm . Now it's recommended that masks are used in all public places. I was exposed to the virus recently but luckily never got any symptoms.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

ippy

« Reply #3146 on: October 04, 2020, 05:23:25 PM »

But with Covid it is different. Everyone else could be infected and could face potentially life threatening situations.

Even with vaccines, unless some form of an effective treatment and medication is found to reduce the intensity of covid...'living with it' is going to be very difficult.

I totally agree with you on this Sriram, trouble is there's a lot of brain dead walking around out there.

I'll take it as a given it's the same in all countries.

Regards, ippy.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3147 on: October 05, 2020, 04:02:46 AM »

So much of the news makes it difficult to work out which one of 3 pinned threads to place it on. But anyway arse! I think Margaret Ferrier should stand down as MP as do many Tories - I will wait for them to suggest Trump should rescind standing..

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-didnt-disclose-first-positive-covid-19-test-while-awaiting-a-second-test-on-thursday-11601844813?fbclid=IwAR1zkDsnL8uqcCi7-vfr3BoDCqovqcxA7SgF9Q5HJHEyVi-Y3_ovSSGfnSc

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3149 on: October 05, 2020, 09:42:26 AM »
Serco Test and Trace

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-nearly-16000-new-covid-19-cases-added-to-total-after-technical-glitch-12090306

Ha ha. Yes, I saw that. Also

https://twitter.com/MichaelTakeMP/status/1313018963404693506

Quote from: Sir Michael Take CBE
I see leftist cynics wanting to sack #DidoHarding over the technical glitch concerning the 16,000 #Covid19 cases that went missing & could not be traced.
The #SercoTestAndTrace system is still in its infancy. Glitches will happen.
Moaning doesn’t help in the battle against Covid!

I'm not so much bothered about the 16,000 tests that weren't added on to the total as soon as they could be (which is just a glitch), but I am concerned that the Test and Trace system is still in its "infancy" or, more correctly, that this MP thinks it is acceptable that the Test and Trace system is still in its infancy, seven months after the pandemic started.