Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 240309 times)

ProfessorDavey

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3475 on: December 02, 2020, 03:31:16 PM »

Congratulations guys! You people in Britain are going to start getting vaccinated (Pfizer) against the Covid 19 as early as next week.  Good going! :)
Well only the most vulnerable will be vaccinated anytime soon.

And I suspect most of us wont be receiving the Pfizer vaccine as the UK hasn't bought much of this one - only enough for 20 million people to be immunised. Most of us, I imagine will be getting the Oxford/AZ vaccine, which is cheaper and the government has bought far more doses.

Roses

« Reply #3476 on: December 02, 2020, 03:37:22 PM »
Whilst the  Covid-19 vaccine seems like excellent news, I just hope they have thoroughly tested it for bad side effects. The thalidomide vaccine was given to pregnant women to relieve morning sickness, and we all know how that panned out. :o
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3477 on: December 02, 2020, 03:41:29 PM »
Whilst the  Covid-19 vaccine seems like excellent news, I just hope they have thoroughly tested it for bad side effects. The thalidomide vaccine was given to pregnant women to relieve morning sickness, and we all know how that panned out. :o
It has been. And there is a world of difference between this vaccine and thalidomide, which isn't a vaccine at all.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3478 on: December 02, 2020, 03:48:41 PM »

Does it make sense to avoid vaccinating those who have already contracted covid?  I wouldn't think so.....but some minister in India has been saying such things. 

Roses

« Reply #3479 on: December 02, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »

Does it make sense to avoid vaccinating those who have already contracted covid?  I wouldn't think so.....but some minister in India has been saying such things.

People who have had flu still get the vaccine, as you don't get lifelong immunity, I would have thought that might be the case with the covid vaccine.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3480 on: December 02, 2020, 03:58:01 PM »

Yes...I agree with that. Even if you want to immediately save on vaccines....you can't be testing people for antibodies before vaccinating them...

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3481 on: December 02, 2020, 04:31:54 PM »

Yes it does as it isn't clear how long any immunity actually lasts.

Also you'd need to be sure that people really had had it, rather than merely thinking they had (without a definitive test result) and deciding therefore that they didn't ned to get the vaccine. So much better to vaccinate everyone possible, noting that there will be a proportion of people who cannot have the vaccine due to underlying health issues plus those that refuse to have it.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3483 on: December 02, 2020, 11:01:15 PM »
Thalidomide isn't a vaccine.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Robbie

« Reply #3484 on: December 03, 2020, 12:01:45 AM »
I expect Littleroses didn't intend to describe it as a vaccine; Thalidomide (Thalomid or Distival) is an excellent drug for treating many serious conditions. It was obviously not tested on pregnant women and was prescribed to them for hg with some awful results. Since then far more care has been taken when prescribing anything for a pregnant woman.

Pregnant woman are not going to be given the Covid-19 vaccine.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3485 on: December 03, 2020, 08:54:25 AM »
I expect Littleroses didn't intend to describe it as a vaccine; Thalidomide (Thalomid or Distival) is an excellent drug for treating many serious conditions. It was obviously not tested on pregnant women and was prescribed to them for hg with some awful results. Since then far more care has been taken when prescribing anything for a pregnant woman.

Pregnant woman are not going to be given the Covid-19 vaccine.
That's correct.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3486 on: December 03, 2020, 10:56:46 AM »
Yes it does as it isn't clear how long any immunity actually lasts.

Also you'd need to be sure that people really had had it, rather than merely thinking they had (without a definitive test result) and deciding therefore that they didn't ned to get the vaccine. So much better to vaccinate everyone possible, noting that there will be a proportion of people who cannot have the vaccine due to underlying health issues plus those that refuse to have it.

You mean..No, it doesn't make sense!  Yes, I agree that everyone should be vaccinated.  The minister was probably thinking in terms of rationing vaccines to the extent possible.   Never mind.  :)

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3487 on: December 03, 2020, 11:38:28 AM »

You mean..No, it doesn't make sense!  Yes, I agree that everyone should be vaccinated.  The minister was probably thinking in terms of rationing vaccines to the extent possible.   Never mind.  :)
It makes sense to vaccinate everyone regardless of whether they have previously tested positive for covid or think they might have been infected previously.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3488 on: December 03, 2020, 03:10:16 PM »
And even though it is fantastic news, the government (Matt Hancock in this case) just can't help but try to gild the lily by lying:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/02/hancock-brexit-helped-uk-to-speedy-approval-of-covid-vaccine

It's getting worse

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55175162

Quote from: Some Twat
I just reckon we've got the very best people in this country and we've obviously got the best medical regulator, much better than the French have, much better than the Belgians have, much better than the Americans have.

That doesn't surprise me at all, because we're a much better country than every single one of them.

Frankly I'm embarrassed.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3489 on: December 03, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »

If you needed to ration vaccines, it might make sense not to vaccinate people who have already had the disease (if you ca be sure who they are), but there isn't going to be a shortage for long, at least not if the Astra Zenica vaccine gets approval. The bigger concern is likely to be logistics i.e. how quickly can we get everybody vaccinated. That's why we will prioritise certain groups of people e.g. healthcare workers.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3490 on: December 03, 2020, 03:50:36 PM »
"I just reckon we've got the very best people in this country and we've obviously got the best medical regulator, much better than the French have, much better than the Belgians have, much better than the Americans have.

That doesn't surprise me at all, because we're a much better country than every single one of them."

With an American vaccine....?! ???  The guy is pretty patriotic....I must say. :D

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3491 on: December 03, 2020, 03:53:50 PM »
"I just reckon we've got the very best people in this country and we've obviously got the best medical regulator, much better than the French have, much better than the Belgians have, much better than the Americans have.

That doesn't surprise me at all, because we're a much better country than every single one of them."

With an American vaccine....?! ???  The guy is pretty patriotic....I must say. :D
An American vaccine, manufactured in Belgium.

Just pathetic.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3492 on: December 03, 2020, 03:55:54 PM »
If you needed to ration vaccines, it might make sense not to vaccinate people who have already had the disease (if you ca be sure who they are), but there isn't going to be a shortage for long, at least not if the Astra Zenica vaccine gets approval. The bigger concern is likely to be logistics i.e. how quickly can we get everybody vaccinated. That's why we will prioritise certain groups of people e.g. healthcare workers.

Yes...we are going to prioritize too. But we are unlikely to get the Pfizer one. We haven't pre-bought it, I think.  Also, the - 70 degrees requirement is very difficult to manage in India.  We are waiting for the Oxford one or the Indian ones which could be available early next year.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3493 on: December 03, 2020, 03:58:45 PM »
An American vaccine, manufactured in Belgium.

Just pathetic.

I wonder how many lives would have been saved if the various countries of the World had been able to put aside their petty squabbling about who's best and put together a global response to a global pandemic.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3494 on: December 03, 2020, 04:53:42 PM »
Yes...we are going to prioritize too. But we are unlikely to get the Pfizer one. We haven't pre-bought it, I think.  Also, the - 70 degrees requirement is very difficult to manage in India.  We are waiting for the Oxford one or the Indian ones which could be available early next year.
Yes that's right - the Pfizer is less likely to be useful in certain countries due both to the logistics linked to storage temperature, but also due to cost. The Oxford/AZ one may be better and cheaper in that regard but current data suggest it may not be quite as effective and is a few weeks behind the others in terms of results and approval.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3495 on: December 03, 2020, 04:56:24 PM »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:11:08 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3496 on: December 03, 2020, 08:10:16 PM »
Tweet from Grant Shapps

'New Business Traveller exemption: From 4am on Sat 5th Dec high-value business travellers will no longer need to self-isolate when returning to ENGLAND from a country NOT in a travel corridor, allowing more travel to support the economy and jobs. Conditions apply.'

Virus doesn't like business class

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3497 on: December 04, 2020, 05:26:31 AM »

Fauci has expressed some doubts about the rushed approval in the UK....though he apologized later....

The Moderna vaccine offers immunity for at least 3 months I understand...!  But that is pathetic! Do people have to get a shot after every three months?  ???

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-12-moderna-vaccine-confers-months-immunity.html

What are the long term dangers of the mRNA technology? Can anyone guess knowledgeably?   Are the old methods (weakened viruses) used by the other vaccines possibly more reliable, do you think?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #3498 on: December 04, 2020, 09:44:59 AM »
Fauci has expressed some doubts about the rushed approval in the UK....though he apologized later....

The Moderna vaccine offers immunity for at least 3 months I understand...!  But that is pathetic! Do people have to get a shot after every three months?  ???

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-12-moderna-vaccine-confers-months-immunity.html
But that is because the vaccine has only been being tested for a matter of months so all this means is that the volunteers vaccinated a few months ago are still showing immunity at three months because that is as far as we've been able to test so far.

What are the long term dangers of the mRNA technology? Can anyone guess knowledgeably?   Are the old methods (weakened viruses) used by the other vaccines possibly more reliable, do you think?
mRNA is likely to be safer, if anything, as it is more targeted. Regarding reliability - I see no reason why the mRNA vaccines should be less reliable, arguable more so as the basic principle is that the body uses the mRNA to produce the spike protein which then elicits an immune response. So it may provide a stronger and longer immune response to more traditional vaccines that might just inoculate with the spike protein itself which would potentially last for less time in an effective form compared to a situation where the body produces the spike protein for an extended period of time.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3499 on: December 04, 2020, 09:46:57 AM »
Tweet from Grant Shapps

'New Business Traveller exemption: From 4am on Sat 5th Dec high-value business travellers will no longer need to self-isolate when returning to ENGLAND from a country NOT in a travel corridor, allowing more travel to support the economy and jobs. Conditions apply.'

Virus doesn't like business class
It's worse than that. The business trip has to result in 50 jobs or £100k of business. So I, for example, would not be exempt because my business trips happen after the business has been won and even at my best daily rate it would require me to be abroad for in the region of 100 days or more.

This is purely for top executives on sales trips.