Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 240253 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3625 on: December 20, 2020, 06:30:34 PM »
I endure your continuing sneery arrogance.
I forgive you. Now, to get back on track, do you agree that for many reasons the exception here is baffling, inconsistent and wrong?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3626 on: December 20, 2020, 06:44:51 PM »
Yes. I never said otherwise.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3627 on: December 20, 2020, 06:48:32 PM »
Yes. I never said otherwise.
Hurrah, now for Christmas, do we have a virtual game of football?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3628 on: December 20, 2020, 06:49:28 PM »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3629 on: December 20, 2020, 06:53:58 PM »
So trying to find out something that is rambling around in my head.

Is the fact that the UK has allowed the virus to take hold at fairly high levels in the population responsible (partly or wholly) for the emergence of this new more transmissable variant earlier than would have happened if we had controlled the virus more effectively?

And how is it more transmissable? They are saying 70% more but by what mechanism is that taking place?

I've tried internet searches but it all seems a bit sketchy currently.

There just isn't enough information available in the public domain (as far as I can tell) that allows us to confirm that the new virus variant is more transmissible or the exact mechanism behind this. It is certainly possible.

What is clear is that infection figures are running very high and the gov. has u-turned on the previous approach, using the "new strain" as an excuse.  It would have been much more effective to have followed the advice and comments offered earlier.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3630 on: December 20, 2020, 08:31:39 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3631 on: December 20, 2020, 08:44:58 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3632 on: December 21, 2020, 10:14:55 AM »
There just isn't enough information available in the public domain (as far as I can tell) that allows us to confirm that the new virus variant is more transmissible or the exact mechanism behind this. It is certainly possible.

What is clear is that infection figures are running very high and the gov. has u-turned on the previous approach, using the "new strain" as an excuse.  It would have been much more effective to have followed the advice and comments offered earlier.

Somebody told me that it is less serious if you catch it. I really do hope that is the case but I am not sure where that factoid came from.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3633 on: December 21, 2020, 10:30:35 AM »
Somebody told me that it is less serious if you catch it. I really do hope that is the case but I am not sure where that factoid came from.
This seems like a reasonable summary of what is known

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55388846
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:48:23 AM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3634 on: December 21, 2020, 10:32:33 AM »

And more and more countries restricting travel to and from UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55391289

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #3635 on: December 21, 2020, 10:44:22 AM »

The BBC reported similar. If that is the case why all these extras measures? My son-in-law tested positive for the virus and was not very poorly at all - up and about helping with household chores. My daughter and grand-daughters were then tested and all three had a negative result. They were still off work and school and in isolation for fourteen days.

There's something very wrong about the handling of this pandemic. It's not all about the virus. The loss of lives (suicides) and livelihoods is tragic, some people are suffering abominably.   
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3636 on: December 21, 2020, 10:53:35 AM »

SweetPea

« Reply #3637 on: December 21, 2020, 11:22:24 AM »
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3638 on: December 21, 2020, 11:39:16 AM »
My son-in-law tested positive for the virus and was not very poorly at all - up and about helping with household chores. My daughter and grand-daughters were then tested and all three had a negative result. They were still off work and school and in isolation for fourteen days.

I'm glad your family got off relatively lightly.

I still speak to people I used to work with in the NHS. They are sick and tired of people dying from Covid in their hospital.

This disease is almost uniquely unpredictable, and for some people deadly. Do not dismiss it in this way.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3639 on: December 21, 2020, 11:47:04 AM »
On a couple of news bulletins.
Here's link to BBC summary on the mutation

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55388846

The discussion on its impact is

"Does it make the infection more deadly?
There is no evidence to suggest that it does, although this will need to be monitored.

However, just increasing transmission would be enough to cause problems for hospitals.

If the new variant means more people are infected more quickly, that would in turn lead to more people needing hospital treatment."

This suggests that you misunderstood.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3640 on: December 21, 2020, 12:06:15 PM »
The most important question is surely "will the vaccines be effective against the new variant?" I understand that the answer, fortunately, is probably yes.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Enki

« Reply #3641 on: December 21, 2020, 12:18:16 PM »
The BBC reported similar. If that is the case why all these extras measures? My son-in-law tested positive for the virus and was not very poorly at all - up and about helping with household chores. My daughter and grand-daughters were then tested and all three had a negative result. They were still off work and school and in isolation for fourteen days.

There's something very wrong about the handling of this pandemic. It's not all about the virus. The loss of lives (suicides) and livelihoods is tragic, some people are suffering abominably.   

Like Trentvoyager, I genuinely am glad that your family have got off lightly. I have just learned that our neighbour's father died from Covid 19 recently, and my sister also died as a direct result of contracting the virus on December 1st.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

SweetPea

« Reply #3642 on: December 21, 2020, 03:09:15 PM »
Enki, sorry to hear of the death of your neighbour's father to this dreadful virus and my genuinely heartfelt condolences for the loss of your sister, very sad.

Trent, I'm not disputing the seriousness of the virus (that's obvious given it's nature) but I cannot understand why perfectly healthy people that are not infected are being told to isolate for fourteen days. You don't quarantine a healthy person - it's never been known. I just feel it's an incredible price to pay to lose your livelihood and commit suicide for a virus that has a 98% chance of recovery.

Nearly, perhaps I did misunderstand those reports from the BBC but that's what I gathered at the time.

Nye Scuppertea, yes, I also heard from the BBC that the vaccines will probably be effective against the new variant. Here's hoping so and that with the rollout of the vaccines we shall be in a better place all round this time next year. 

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3643 on: December 21, 2020, 04:08:46 PM »
I just feel it's an incredible price to pay to lose your livelihood and commit suicide for a virus that has a 98% chance of recovery.

It is worth noting that 2% of 60 million is 1,200,000. Not to mention the fact that our hospitals would be totally overrun and unable to deal with all the other diseases that need treating.

As to your remark about healthy people isolating. You can test negative after coming into contact with a covid carrier and become positive later, hence the need for isolation. Until we get more reliable testing and more regular testing (both unlikely under this shambles of a government) isolation after contact is the safest way forward until vaccine time.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Spud

« Reply #3644 on: December 21, 2020, 04:34:33 PM »
It is worth noting that 2% of 60 million is 1,200,000.

Is the actual recovery rate higher when you account for those who are positive but don't get tested?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3645 on: December 21, 2020, 05:08:06 PM »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ad_orientem

« Reply #3646 on: December 22, 2020, 07:31:49 AM »
Not helping, guys

Always liked Eric Clapton but he's just gone down in my estimation.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3647 on: December 22, 2020, 09:51:16 AM »

Can't be great being a lorry driver stuck in Kent

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55405299

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3648 on: December 22, 2020, 02:55:08 PM »
Possibility of the tier 4 restrictions in Scotland getting tighter!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55414617

Nearly Sane

• Administrator