Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 240181 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3750 on: January 06, 2021, 06:47:17 PM »
Thank you. Those figures are probably due mor to the the eastern side of Hampshire although I do not know of course, but just over the border to the west is the Christchurch/Bournemouth/Poole area so they will probably have highish numbers.
ETA that I did not see above about local cases. Many thanks for the info.

A friend phoned to say that apparently Sir Desmond Swayne, local NFW MP, is not at all pleased about the New forest area being put into tier four.

Looking at the numbers, all of Scotland other than 3 island groupings, is in tier 4, and only 2 areas are higher than your postcode so not sure what the justification for a lower tier would be.

ad_orientem

« Reply #3751 on: January 06, 2021, 07:06:34 PM »
Link?

Not really sure how what any country orders relates to how much ir receives or how quickly.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN29916N
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/germany-says-eu-wide-vaccination-strategy-is-the-right-way/a-56127798
The idea was that EU members would order the vaccine collectively so that all member states would get a fair share. Bilateral deals were discouraged in the name of solidarity. That's 30 million extra doses that could have been distributed amongst all the states. Now they're going all to Germany. One rule for them!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 07:14:06 PM by ad_orientem »
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3752 on: January 06, 2021, 07:23:52 PM »
My parents both received their first shots of the Pfizer vaccine today.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3753 on: January 06, 2021, 07:28:14 PM »
My parents both received their first shots of the Pfizer vaccine today.
Great news. I'm getting annoyed that my mother doesn't have a date for it yet.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #3754 on: January 06, 2021, 08:02:22 PM »
Did I say that?

Never claimed you did, was a question.

Now go away and have this imaginary conversation where you make up things I haven't said , and  have it someplace else.

I don't need to go anywhere to have an imaginary conversation. :)
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3755 on: January 07, 2021, 12:00:14 PM »
Great news. I'm getting annoyed that my mother doesn't have a date for it yet.

You won't want to hear this then... My dad appears to have managed to jump the queue. My mother was a fairly high priority due to being over 70 and having asthma and high blood pressure. They just gave him his shot because he was there, accompanying mum (he's also over seventy but doesn't have any other risk factors).
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3756 on: January 07, 2021, 12:27:58 PM »
You won't want to hear this then... My dad appears to have managed to jump the queue. My mother was a fairly high priority due to being over 70 and having asthma and high blood pressure. They just gave him his shot because he was there, accompanying mum (he's also over seventy but doesn't have any other risk factors).

There are all sorts of anomalies. My_aunt and uncle were waiting to hear from their GP . Purely by chance they had a conversation with a friend who happened to be a consultant at the QMC in Nottingham. He told them to ring up the hospital. Which they did and after a 2 hour wait they got appts for their vaccination next Monday. As far as I can tell from other people this is not a service that has been made widely known to the public. Very odd.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 12:42:25 PM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3757 on: January 08, 2021, 11:54:30 AM »

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3758 on: January 08, 2021, 11:59:38 AM »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3759 on: January 08, 2021, 12:06:30 PM »
He's a Tory, and therefore a heartless spunktrumpet, but this is a non-story.

Careful. You'll have the right wing thought police after you.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #3760 on: January 08, 2021, 01:11:54 PM »
Careful. You'll have the right wing thought police after you.

Relative to you isn't everyone right-wing?
- Voltaire

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #3761 on: January 08, 2021, 01:12:45 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55585142

Mr Drakeford said the roll-out was "not a sprint and secondly it's not a competition".

First it is a sprint and if competition makes you go faster embrace that as well!
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3762 on: January 08, 2021, 01:43:23 PM »
Relative to you isn't everyone right-wing?
Portraying a centre leftist like Trentvoyager as somehow extremist left winger tedious, and also the sort of thing that you complain about others doing.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3763 on: January 08, 2021, 01:49:45 PM »
Portraying a centre leftist like Trentvoyager as somehow extremist left winger tedious, and also the sort of thing that you complain about others doing.

It's also extremely tedious hearing people say every Tory is a "heartless spunktrumpet" even though it is true of this particular minister. How about we stop stereotyping everybody according to our prejudices?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3764 on: January 08, 2021, 01:55:40 PM »
It's also extremely tedious hearing people say every Tory is a "heartless spunktrumpet" even though it is true of this particular minister. How about we stop stereotyping everybody according to our prejudices?
I think you want to address that to Nye Scuppertea.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #3765 on: January 08, 2021, 02:03:55 PM »

I will happily apologise if I'm wrong, this is my thinking....

Corbyn is the most extreme left-wing politician of note we have seen since the 1970's. As Trent was a very keen supporter of Corbyn it would be rational to conclude he is extremely left wing.

I complain when peoples views are dismissed or straw manned just because they are of a particular persuasion.

Would quite happily debate the merits of any political policy or ideology and have attempted to debate these with Trent, the debates don't get very far.

A recent exchange by way of example ended with Trent stating 'quite frankly you are one or two sandwiches short of a picnic'.
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3766 on: January 08, 2021, 02:09:09 PM »
I will happily apologise if I'm wrong, this is my thinking....

Corbyn is the most extreme left-wing politician of note we have seen since the 1970's. As Trent was a very keen supporter of Corbyn it would be rational to conclude he is extremely left wing.

I complain when peoples views are dismissed or straw manned just because they are of a particular persuasion.

Would quite happily debate the merits of any political policy or ideology and have attempted to debate these with Trent, the debates don't get very far.

A recent exchange by way of example ended with Trent stating 'quite frankly you are one or two sandwiches short of a picnic'.
I don't think Trentvoyager was a very strong supporter of Corbyn. So I think you have to provide evidence for your assertion. That you complain about just dismissing views because of strawmen seems exactly what you are doing here.

The rest of your post just reads as 'He started it'

Robbie

« Reply #3767 on: January 08, 2021, 02:13:14 PM »
I think you want to address that to Nye Scuppertea.

Speaking of whom, not relevant to this thread but still, would like to know the meaning of Nye's latest name. I thought maybe 'Nye' referred to new year's eve but that is too obvious. Does he vandalise the tea table? Would love to know Nye, if you join this thread.

I liked and supported Jeremy Corbyn & wouldn't consider myself to be extreme left. Moderately left probably.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Roses

« Reply #3768 on: January 08, 2021, 02:16:05 PM »
Speaking of whom, not relevant to this thread but still, would like to know the meaning of Nye's latest name. I thought maybe 'Nye' referred to new year's eve but that is too obvious. Does he vandalise the tea table? Would love to know Nye, if you join this thread.

I liked and supported Jeremy Corbyn & wouldn't consider myself to be extreme left. Moderately left probably.

'Nice cuppa tea'

I dislike Corbyn he was too far to the left for my taste.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3769 on: January 08, 2021, 02:16:25 PM »

I think it's just creating a name as a homonym of Nice cup of tea.

Robbie

« Reply #3770 on: January 08, 2021, 02:42:35 PM »
D'oh! I thought it might have been taken from a fictional satirical character.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3771 on: January 08, 2021, 02:57:06 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN29916N
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/germany-says-eu-wide-vaccination-strategy-is-the-right-way/a-56127798
The idea was that EU members would order the vaccine collectively so that all member states would get a fair share. Bilateral deals were discouraged in the name of solidarity. That's 30 million extra doses that could have been distributed amongst all the states. Now they're going all to Germany. One rule for them!

It seems the German order for 30m doses for Pfizer/BioNTech was made before the EU collective scheme was put in place. Presumably if they actually receive those stocks separately from an order via the EU scheme, their share of what the EU receives will be adjusted accordingly. Or, alternatively they could contribute them to the EU scheme.

But.. just to note ... just because someone has ordered x does not mean that they will receive x before other orders are satisfied.       Eg. UK ordered 40m Pfizer doses, but the number expected to be received kept dwindling ..down to 10m, and its not clear that we have received even 2m so far.   
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #3772 on: January 08, 2021, 03:24:15 PM »
I don't think Trentvoyager was a very strong supporter of Corbyn. So I think you have to provide evidence for your assertion.

I think neither have to provide evidence because we are merely stating what we think. If we do have to provide evidence then your statement "Trentvoyager was 'not' a very strong supporter of Corbyn" would also need evidence.

That you complain about just dismissing views because of strawmen seems exactly what you are doing here.

That wasn't my complaint, I said dismissing views or straw manning just because of their political persuasion. I have neither dismissed anyone's view or used a strawman JUST because of their political persuasion.

The rest of your post just reads as 'He started it'

No, I have found in the past that instead of getting into a debate on topic it descends into name calling, which rather poetically is where you ended. :)
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3773 on: January 08, 2021, 03:31:17 PM »
I think neither have to provide evidence because we are merely stating what we think. If we do have to provide evidence then your statement "Trentvoyager was 'not' a very strong supporter of Corbyn" would also need evidence.

That wasn't my complaint, I said dismissing views or straw manning just because of their political persuasion. I have neither dismissed anyone's view or used a strawman JUST because of their political persuasion.

No, I have found in the past that instead of getting into a debate on topic it descends into name calling, which rather poetically is where you ended. :)
You've made a claim to justify your position. Your-s is the positive claim. I have a lack of belief in it

Pointing out that your argument amounts only to 'He started it' isn't name calling.

Anyway given you aren't willing to evidence your position, apnd given this is fairly off topic, I will draw a line.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3774 on: January 08, 2021, 04:01:10 PM »
Wrt. to Covid and government incompetence left/right tendencies probably don't make make any practical difference.

Clearly the gov, their lawyers, advisors, thousands of civil servants and police are just stupid, unable to put together rules and procedures that make sense and, of-course, unable to communicate them effectively!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814   
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now