Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 240114 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3825 on: January 19, 2021, 11:04:17 AM »
Just goes to show how top sports stars can be so out of touch with the real world.
You should have a look at Neil Lennon's rant yesterday. To be fair he's about to lose his job but unhinged. I think tons of the people in Melbourne are going to be pissed off with this given the length and severity of their lockdown.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3826 on: January 19, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »
From BBC live feed

UK deaths more than 40% above normal levels

The Office for National Statistics released data on Tuesday

The number of people who have died with Covid is now close to 96,000, according to an analysis of death certificates.

The figures come after a further 6,586 deaths involving Covid were registered in the UK in the week to 8 January.

The data from the Office for National Statistics - which looks at England and Wales - and its counterparts in Scotland and Northern Ireland is different from the daily totals given by the government, which look at deaths within 28 days of a positive test. Those figures show that up until Monday there had been nearly 90,000 deaths.

Overall, the total number of deaths reported are more than 40% above what is expected at this time of year, although delays registering deaths over the festive period are thought to have contributed to some of the rise.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3827 on: January 19, 2021, 12:27:14 PM »
Just talked to my mother after her jag. All went fine. Hurrah.

I did stress though that she shouldn't change her behaviour. Too many of those I have seen interviewed after receiving it seem to think it means it's ok to ignore the current rules.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3828 on: January 19, 2021, 12:30:26 PM »
Just talked to my mother after her jag.

New car?  ;)
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3829 on: January 19, 2021, 12:54:26 PM »

ad_orientem

« Reply #3830 on: January 19, 2021, 01:32:41 PM »
You should have a look at Neil Lennon's rant yesterday. To be fair he's about to lose his job but unhinged. I think tons of the people in Melbourne are going to be pissed off with this given the length and severity of their lockdown.

Read about Neil Lennon as well. The bloke's an idiot.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3831 on: January 19, 2021, 06:31:56 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3832 on: January 19, 2021, 06:38:24 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3833 on: January 20, 2021, 10:33:18 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3834 on: January 20, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »
Priti Patel the Home Secretary calls out lack of action by Priti Patel the Home Secretary.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-55733357?__twitter_impression=true

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3835 on: January 20, 2021, 12:17:47 PM »
Priti Patel the Home Secretary calls out lack of action by Priti Patel the Home Secretary.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-politics-55733357?__twitter_impression=true

Presumably she argued for stronger controls but was overruled? 
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3836 on: January 20, 2021, 12:27:32 PM »
Presumably she argued for stronger controls but was overruled?
And if she felt that strongly about should have resigned. She accepted cabinet collective responsibility then but has just broken it with this. 

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #3837 on: January 20, 2021, 02:45:32 PM »
And if she felt that strongly about should have resigned. She accepted cabinet collective responsibility then but has just broken it with this.

Does "collective responsibility" mean that no minister can admit that the "cabinet" made mistakes earlier?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3838 on: January 20, 2021, 02:50:35 PM »
Does "collective responsibility" mean that no minister can admit that the "cabinet" made mistakes earlier?
Not when saying they disagreed with the decision at the time.
 ETA and remaining in post throughout.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 02:54:07 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #3840 on: January 20, 2021, 03:07:21 PM »
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but apparently surveys show there is a higher percentage of BAME people who don't want the vaccine.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/ethnic-minorities-vaccine-hesitancy-covid-b900127.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9165793/Why-72-black-Britons-say-unlikely-Covid-19-jab-writes-SIR-GEOFFREY-PALMER.html#comments

I really can't relate to the idea of trusting people more because they look like me/ are the same colour as me. I can understand trusting people who have had similar experiences to me and can relate to my perspective but even so they might still disagree with my decisions. Regardless of a person's background or skin colour or culture I would be persuaded by the language they use, their tone and demeanour, the evidence supporting their opinion, their expertise, training and technical knowledge.

I could understand trusting people because they converse in a way that you are used to associating with people who are honest, professional, knowledgeable and trustworthy. Which rules out most of the Tory Cabinet. So to convince people who are less educated or speak differently from scientists, doctors and politicians, they presumably need to get people who speak with the same vernacular, dress the same way, live in the same neighbourhoods to tell people to get vaccinated.

But I am not sure how uneducated, unprofessional people can be scientists and doctors without changing the way they speak and dress. When they become scientists and doctors they start talking like scientists and doctors and dress like professionals, and ordinary people will feel unable to relate to them and would presumably therefore distrust them. People usually adopt the mannerisms required for the job they do because they are trained that way by someone more experienced in the job.

Covid has affected BAME communities disproportionately. Can't see the sense of BAME people putting themselves at risk of Covid by not getting vaccinated. Also I hope the lockdown and delay of treatments of non-Covid illnesses does not continue after the vaccine is rolled out because the NHS cannot cope with the number of unvaccinated Covid patients.
I identify as a Sword because I have abstract social constructs e.g. honour and patriotism. My preferred pronouns are "kill/ maim/ dismember"

Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3841 on: January 20, 2021, 03:16:21 PM »
Not sure it has been raised, Gabriella. I meant to after watching Channel 4 news reporting on it but I got distracted. The problem is wider than the BAME community and the virus. AS we see Trump leave, there are a lot of people who voted for him because he didn't sound like a 'normal' politician

Also the fact that the community has been more affected by Covid, then makes a narrative that it is somehow aimed at that purpose stronger. Hence easier to make the vaccine suspect.

SusanDoris

« Reply #3842 on: January 20, 2021, 03:37:18 PM »
Not sure it has been raised, Gabriella. I meant to after watching Channel 4 news reporting on it but I got distracted. The problem is wider than the BAME community and the virus. AS we see Trump leave, there are a lot of people who voted for him because he didn't sound like a 'normal' politician

Also the fact that the community has been more affected by Covid, then makes a narrative that it is somehow aimed at that purpose stronger. Hence easier to make the vaccine suspect.
All very gloomy and, even more depressingly, probably really believable.

On a different note, does anybody have any thoughts on having an oxymeter (sp?) at home? The item on 'Inside Health' yesterday evening on Radio 4 was interesting. It was stressed, though, that only machines with a kite mark should be trusted.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3843 on: January 20, 2021, 04:22:58 PM »
From BBC live feed, horrendous news:

UK records new daily high of 1,820 Covid deaths

A further 1,820 people have died in the UK within 28 days of a positive Covid test - the biggest figure reported in a single day since the pandemic began.

It means the total number of deaths by that measure is now 93,290.

Yesterday's figure of 1,610 deaths was the previous highest daily total.

Another 38,905 positive Covid cases have also been reported in the past 24 hours

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3844 on: January 20, 2021, 05:01:00 PM »
Not when saying they disagreed with the decision at the time.
 ETA and remaining in post throughout.

That's how it works normally. You don't have to resign just because you disagree with a collective decision. If you did, there would be two or three resignations after every cabinet meeting.

Of course, you also shouldn't be throwing the rest of the cabinet under the bus several months later.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3845 on: January 20, 2021, 05:04:50 PM »
That's how it works normally. You don't have to resign just because you disagree with a collective decision. If you did, there would be two or three resignations after every cabinet meeting.

Of course, you also shouldn't be throwing the rest of the cabinet under the bus several months later.
That's what I said
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 05:11:44 PM by Nearly Sane »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3846 on: January 20, 2021, 05:09:32 PM »
From BBC live feed, horrendous news:

UK records new daily high of 1,820 Covid deaths

A further 1,820 people have died in the UK within 28 days of a positive Covid test - the biggest figure reported in a single day since the pandemic began.

It means the total number of deaths by that measure is now 93,290.

Yesterday's figure of 1,610 deaths was the previous highest daily total.
Pretty bad, but it's actually "yesterday's news". This is the delayed reaction from the extremely high infection rates from a couple of weeks ago.
Another 38,905 positive Covid cases have also been reported in the past 24 hours
This is actually good news. The infections are coming down from the stratospheric heights of a couple of weeks ago. This means the new lockdown and possibly the vaccinations are working.

The overall message of today's figures should be cautious optimism.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3847 on: January 20, 2021, 05:14:05 PM »
Pretty bad, but it's actually "yesterday's news". This is the delayed reaction from the extremely high infection rates from a couple of weeks ago.This is actually good news. The infections are coming down from the stratospheric heights of a couple of weeks ago. This means the new lockdown and possibly the vaccinations are working.

The overall message of today's figures should be cautious optimism.
  I think referring to 1820 deaths as -yesterday's news shows a severe lack of empathy. It also brushes away any responsibility for the death rates.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3848 on: January 20, 2021, 09:23:56 PM »
This is surely worrying for the delay strategy but also doesn't feel like the right approach to those who do vaccinate for the second time after the recommended time.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-vaccines-nhs-hospitals-second-dose-b1790217.html?r=22629
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 09:32:44 PM by Nearly Sane »

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #3849 on: January 21, 2021, 09:56:31 AM »
I had my first jab this morning. It was a thoroughly underwhelming experience.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?