Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 240095 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #3850 on: January 21, 2021, 09:57:45 AM »
I know it's not good for my blood pressure but I watched Piers Morgan interview Gavin Williamson on GMTV this morning.

Can someone please explain to me why Williamson is even an MP, let alone the Education Secretary?

His answers on education and how covid impacts on it have to be seen to be believed.

He was totally abysmal. It was like watching an android that had got stuck in some kind of feedback loop that just keeps repeating stock phrases over and over again. It was unbelievably excruciating.

Clip here: https://tinyurl.com/williamsongmtv
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #3851 on: January 21, 2021, 01:15:54 PM »
I know it's not good for my blood pressure but I watched Piers Morgan interview Gavin Williamson on GMTV this morning.

Can someone please explain to me why Williamson is even an MP, let alone the Education Secretary?

His answers on education and how covid impacts on it have to be seen to be believed.

He was totally abysmal. It was like watching an android that had got stuck in some kind of feedback loop that just keeps repeating stock phrases over and over again. It was unbelievably excruciating.

Agreed!

If I were running the country I'd introduce a law applying to politicians 'if you fail to answer question 3 times it will amount to instant dismissal'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3852 on: January 21, 2021, 01:44:12 PM »
Agreed!

If I were running the country I'd introduce a law applying to politicians 'if you fail to answer question 3 times it will amount to instant dismissal'.
To he clear, I think he's got an incredibly shit job to do in an incredibly shit time buy he's managed to match that by being incredibly shit at it. Watching the interview was watching someone who knows they are not up to the job. He looked broken  subservient, devoid of belief. I remember Estelle Morris resigning because she didn't think she was up to it but I suspect she had more self awareness than Williamson.

In the position he's in, all he has is his script. He's terrified of offering some hostage to fortune, and has no confidence to ditch the script. It would be a mercy if he was sacked but Johnson is worried that would be seen to reflect on him. The govts in the UK are so locked into denying any fault on this when many of us might appreciate the honesty that  leadership is a forgotten idea.

He needed in the case of the 'when will the schools go back?' question be much more robust and call it out as an essentially stupid question. The correct answer was 'Of course, I have no fecking idea because we are in the middle of an unprecentdented situation, and making silly predictions with not enough facts would be the act of an idiot'. But it's obvious why that isn't a good answer because it's been undermined by previous answers throughout the last year.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3853 on: January 21, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »
Glastonbury cancelled again. Not much of a surprise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55746293

SusanDoris

« Reply #3855 on: January 21, 2021, 03:49:45 PM »

That's one link I certainly will avoid at all costs. I agree with what you say. How that man can think he is any use at all as an Education Secretary is beyond understanding.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3856 on: January 21, 2021, 04:32:18 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3857 on: January 22, 2021, 09:03:10 AM »

I have to admit that before Covid, QR just seemed like a bit of tech that had missed its time, but it was justwaiting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55579480

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3858 on: January 22, 2021, 11:12:48 AM »
Hope they get the Torah thrown at them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55764673

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3859 on: January 22, 2021, 02:19:07 PM »

I find it interesting that in this report about whether the Olympics go ahead this year that the majority of the Japanese public are against it, yet as with the Australian Open, that may well be ignored.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/55762303

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3860 on: January 22, 2021, 03:05:10 PM »
Hope they get the Torah thrown at them. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55764673
The bit about a third party handling the gig's a bit iffy. When we hire out the church hall for private functions (and our rates mean we won't profit by doing so), we know exactly who, when, why and times of occupancy - we have to, because of fire regs
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3861 on: January 23, 2021, 02:24:00 PM »
Resigned because they realised they had too. Up till now they have been utterly tone deaf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55767262

Roses

« Reply #3862 on: January 23, 2021, 04:02:56 PM »
Resigned because they realised they had too. Up till now they have been utterly tone deaf

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55767262

Total prats! >:(
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #3863 on: January 24, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »
So as we approach, or have reached, depending on the method of calculation used, 100,000 dead from Covid and incompetence, I reflect on the fact that I live in Worthing a town with a population of around 100,000.

That's an entire town with all it's people gone.

No daytrippers on the promenade, or walking on the pier to watch the fishermen land their catch. No chips purchased only to be stolen by those vicious masters of the sky, seagulls. The roads unused and uncared for with weeds cracking the surface of the tarmac. The shops shuttered up forever with no chance of a Mike Ashley takeover bid.

No stray enthusiasts searching for blue plaques relating to Jane Austen, Harold Pinter or Alma Cogan. No one to enjoy the wonderful sunrises over the English channel. No one to marvel at the ever changing moods of the sea.

Fanciful you say? Perhaps, but this is what is happening in a fragmented fashion across our lands.

And I feel so angry, and so sad. And all I can do is sit here, follow the rules and hope that it gets better.

Writing to my MP makes no difference. He defends the party line every time, and despite all evidence to the contrary, claims that the government are doing their very best in an unprecedented situation.

All I want to say is "very best" MY ARSE in my best Jim Royle impersonation. If you were even doing just average work you should have realised your mistakes from the first wave and not repeated them again and again.

I do not understand why heads are not on spikes.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #3864 on: January 24, 2021, 10:10:58 AM »

Because his constituents got sloppy and lazily voted Tory.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3865 on: January 24, 2021, 10:38:55 AM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3866 on: January 24, 2021, 10:40:03 AM »
Because his constituents got sloppy and lazily voted Tory.
Blaming voters is a guarantee to losing again

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #3867 on: January 24, 2021, 11:30:16 AM »
Blaming voters is a guarantee to losing again
Who is ultimately responsible though....that’s right the voters.

Are you suggesting feeding the voters an ersatz reality where the voter is right but betrayed in a way the voter could not have forseen?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3868 on: January 24, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »
Who is ultimately responsible though....that’s right the voters.

Are you suggesting feeding the voters an ersatz reality where the voter is right but betrayed in a way the voter could not have forseen?
I am saying blaming then it will mean you lose. If political parties have no responsibility for losing votes  they are pointless.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3869 on: January 25, 2021, 10:48:54 AM »
  I think referring to 1820 deaths as -yesterday's news shows a severe lack of empathy.
No it doesn't. It's addressing facts.

It also brushes away any responsibility for the death rates.
No it doesn't. Don't worry, there are plenty of things you can bash the government with even while accepting that things are improving.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3870 on: January 25, 2021, 10:56:26 AM »
No it doesn't. It's addressing facts.
No it doesn't. Don't worry, there are plenty of things you can bash the government with even while accepting that things are improving.
Deaths of 1820 people is not just about facts. That you want to portray it that way illustrates your lack of empathy.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3871 on: January 25, 2021, 11:07:56 AM »
Deaths of 1820 people is not just about facts. That you want to portray it that way illustrates your lack of empathy.
But I am right. Things are improving. You can't argue against that by insulting me.

The tragedy that led to those 1,820 deaths happened at the beginning of January when the infections went out of control, not on the day they were reported.

Read this thread. It's mostly an unremitting tale of doom and gloom. Don't you want to hear some good news? Why do you need to try to discredit it?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #3872 on: January 25, 2021, 11:14:45 AM »
Bloody sympathy! I hate that trendy word "empathy" - it's like "sympathy", but cold and clinical, with all the warmth removed.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3873 on: January 25, 2021, 11:32:48 AM »
Bloody sympathy! I hate that trendy word "empathy" - it's like "sympathy", but cold and clinical, with all the warmth removed.
They mean different things, and empathy here is the correct one since it's about the ability to understand the feelings of others.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #3874 on: January 25, 2021, 11:35:06 AM »
But I am right. Things are improving. You can't argue against that by insulting me.

The tragedy that led to those 1,820 deaths happened at the beginning of January when the infections went out of control, not on the day they were reported.

Read this thread. It's mostly an unremitting tale of doom and gloom. Don't you want to hear some good news? Why do you need to try to discredit it?
  Because it was the worst day for deaths we've had. Go and tell the families devastated by that that their deaths were good news,