Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 239967 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4000 on: February 05, 2021, 08:42:23 AM »
English local elections to take place in May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55938380

Roses

« Reply #4001 on: February 05, 2021, 11:16:19 AM »
Coming soon, Vaccine Passports?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/04/travel/coronavirus-vaccine-passports.html?fbclid=IwAR1xbOuCD8EZl4bkB8L6hjr1fu76tpP-0uIPIE1ohg1TfS43R1yqLqY4SK8

When we had our jab yesterday my husband and I were given vaccine record cards, stating the date we had it, the vaccine used, which arm it was put in, and the date the next one is due.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4002 on: February 05, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »
When we had our jab yesterday my husband and I were given vaccine record cards, stating the date we had it, the vaccine used, which arm it was put in, and the date the next one is due.
And I hope that, when the vaccination programme is over, pubs and restaurants ask to see your card before you're admitted. I don't think that the selfish refusers should be allowed to endanger the rest of us, given that the vaccines are not 100% effective.
Headlines on some papers in the newsagents saying restrictions should be over, or almost over, by May.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #4003 on: February 05, 2021, 12:14:05 PM »
And I hope that, when the vaccination programme is over, pubs and restaurants ask to see your card before you're admitted. I don't think that the selfish refusers should be allowed to endanger the rest of us, given that the vaccines are not 100% effective.
Headlines on some papers in the newsagents saying restrictions should be over, or almost over, by May.

I agree you should have to present your vaccine card when visiting anywhere you will be in close contact with others, when lockdown ends. However, I suspect it could be another year or two before the pandemic is over, so new spikes are more than likely to occur if people don't behave sensibly.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4004 on: February 05, 2021, 12:18:44 PM »
I agree you should have to present your vaccine card when visiting anywhere you will be in close contact with others, when lockdown ends. However, I suspect it could be another year or two before the pandemic is over, so new spikes are more than likely to occur if people don't behave sensibly.

It may not be as bad as that depending on the vaccine take up and efficacy and it's ability to cope with variants.

Reasons to be cheerful:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55941234
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4005 on: February 05, 2021, 12:27:38 PM »
I don't know why you think that: with the vaccines being administered* world-wide, and a sane president now in charge in the USA, it should be all over, more or less, in a few months.
*Sorry, "rolled out": apparently, that's the official expression that we're all obliged to use.**
**Note for Owlswing: this is sarcasm.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4006 on: February 05, 2021, 12:37:08 PM »
Yep.

Rolled out.

Ramped up.

Following the science.

The right decisions at the right time.

Unprecedented.

etc.......

Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4007 on: February 05, 2021, 01:39:15 PM »

Roses

« Reply #4008 on: February 05, 2021, 01:42:02 PM »
I don't know why you think that: with the vaccines being administered* world-wide, and a sane president now in charge in the USA, it should be all over, more or less, in a few months.
*Sorry, "rolled out": apparently, that's the official expression that we're all obliged to use.**
**Note for Owlswing: this is sarcasm.

We shall see, but I can't say I am optimistic.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4009 on: February 05, 2021, 01:43:26 PM »
We shall see, but I can't say I am optimistic.
Why not?

Roses

« Reply #4010 on: February 05, 2021, 01:48:06 PM »
Why not?

Because many people don't act in a sensible way.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4011 on: February 05, 2021, 04:17:20 PM »

Roses

« Reply #4012 on: February 05, 2021, 04:36:01 PM »
Like this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-55950930

Just like that. Hardly a day goes by with the police breaking up a large party or a rave. They must know they are likely to get caught and fined so why do it?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4013 on: February 05, 2021, 04:43:50 PM »
Just like that. Hardly a day goes by with the police breaking up a large party or a rave. They must know they are likely to get caught and fined so why do it?
There are probably a fair few that the police aren't aware of, so get away with it.

But actually I suspect that many of these huge gatherings get busted and there are probably not too many of them going on. What is probably much more common (and actually far more worrying because they are far less likely to be caught) are gatherings of 10 or so people in someone's house. I suspect these are happening all over the place every night.

Roses

« Reply #4014 on: February 05, 2021, 04:57:40 PM »
There are probably a fair few that the police aren't aware of, so get away with it.

But actually I suspect that many of these huge gatherings get busted and there are probably not too many of them going on. What is probably much more common (and actually far more worrying because they are far less likely to be caught) are gatherings of 10 or so people in someone's house. I suspect these are happening all over the place every night.

You are more than likely correct. Just because the vaccine rollout is going well I don't think anyone can afford to be complacent. It is possible there might be a Covid variant, which is resistant to the present vaccines.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4015 on: February 05, 2021, 10:54:35 PM »
You are more than likely correct. Just because the vaccine rollout is going well I don't think anyone can afford to be complacent. It is possible there might be a Covid variant, which is resistant to the present vaccines.
Thank you, Little Miss Sunshine.  https://youtu.be/SJUhlRoBL8M

Roses

« Reply #4016 on: February 06, 2021, 11:35:48 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55961387

The vaccination rollout seems to be on target at present. It is hoped all the over 50s will have received it by May.

Gordon

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4019 on: February 08, 2021, 07:31:14 AM »

Worrying news about the Astrazeneca vaccine

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55975052

Roses

« Reply #4021 on: February 08, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »
Worrying news about the Astrazeneca vaccine

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-55975052

That is the vaccine we had last week. It is concerning, but as we are at home most of the time, apart from my early morning visit to the supermarket on a Monday when there are very few people there, hopefully we  are at less risk than others.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4022 on: February 09, 2021, 08:55:29 PM »
These are pretty harsh penalties for breaking quarantine, all feels a bit late though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55995645

Roses

« Reply #4023 on: February 10, 2021, 11:22:24 AM »
10 years in prison is a bit OTT, but on the other hand maybe it should be retrospective and apply to Cummings.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #4024 on: February 10, 2021, 01:41:59 PM »
I agree with LR. It is grossly over the top. Say, for arguments sake, it costs £50,000 a year to incarcerate a person. Is this offence really worth potentially costing the state half a million pounds?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?