Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 239724 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4200 on: April 23, 2021, 12:34:00 AM »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #4201 on: April 23, 2021, 02:34:49 PM »

I am fine NS. Thanks for asking!  :)

Yes....the situation is terrible in India especially in some states. The authorities did not have a sense of urgency and were complacent till last week. Luckily the death rate is fairly low compared to the number of cases...though in absolute numbers it is high.

Vaccinations are at 10%...   Given the numbers (only 1390 million people)...will take several months to get to a reasonable number.   

Hoping for the best.

Thanks once again!
Good to hear you are OK.

But it seems to me that "complacent" is not a strong enough term... this was all predictable and there was plenty of time to avoid it. Instead the authorities wilfully ignored potential problems and carried on with cricket, political and religious gatherings, travel ... hubris and arrogance similar to the initial stupidity of Johnson, Trump etc. 

Everyone I know here with connections to India, has been bombarded by crap e-mails from friends and relatives - pushing rumours and false cures.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Robbie

« Reply #4203 on: April 24, 2021, 07:24:04 PM »
I agree, it's very worrying. Saw some really frightened people interviewed on TV last night. I wish there was something we could do.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4204 on: April 27, 2021, 09:58:20 AM »
If Johnson told me today was Tuesday, I would have to assume that was the one day it wasn't

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56897213

Robbie

« Reply #4205 on: April 27, 2021, 12:56:44 PM »
:-)
Too right!

The scenes in India are heartbreaking. They put everything into perspective. I've come home for lunch and feeling a bit 'dicky', looking at the pictures in the media makes me realise how fortunate I am. A bit of an upset stomach will pass, here today gone tomorrow - I ate too much yesterday, aren't I lucky to be able to do that and to have access to over the counter medication if I need it? On that level I feel better already.

So many of the Indian population will not recover.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4207 on: April 28, 2021, 07:30:05 PM »
Indian colleague who works in London had her out of office up today. Phoned to check if they were ok. Father died of covid yesterday, and their mother and brother are in hospital with it.

Robbie

« Reply #4208 on: April 28, 2021, 10:49:48 PM »
Oh no, that is so sad. When you know someone affected it really brings it home to you. I have two Indian colleagues. and neighbours, a couple about same age as Charlie and me with whom we are quite friendly, all are very worried about friends and relatives in India.

I feel helpless but there must be a charity currently helping the people affected in India, their families, funeral expenses and all that. Does anyone know of a reputable one? I don't want to ask my friends, prefer to keep things like that private.It would be a drop in the ocean but many drops  add up.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4209 on: April 28, 2021, 10:53:44 PM »
You could try this one:

https://www.britishasiantrust.org/

Does good work according to relatives in India.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4211 on: April 29, 2021, 11:03:25 AM »
That is so upsetting. I don't know what else to say, except if you can give to a charity - then do give.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Robbie

« Reply #4212 on: April 29, 2021, 06:26:43 PM »
Thank you very much Trent.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4213 on: April 30, 2021, 06:59:04 PM »
So had an e-mail from the partners cousin in Goa.

She said: "Bad, bad, bad. This is the end of India."

Given that I have known her for 40 years and I know that she is not one for hyperbole, I find her communication very worrying.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4214 on: April 30, 2021, 07:04:04 PM »
Just heard from my colleague that her mother has died as well. Both parents dead in 3 days.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4215 on: April 30, 2021, 07:09:18 PM »
Just heard from my colleague that her mother has died as well. Both parents dead in 3 days.

Heartbreaking.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4216 on: April 30, 2021, 08:18:14 PM »
So had an e-mail from the partners cousin in Goa. She said: "Bad, bad, bad. This is the end of India." Given that I have known her for 40 years and I know that she is not one for hyperbole, I find her communication very worrying.
I'm getting similar emails from a friend who lives in Bangalore; it seems that the MSM is concentrating on Delhi, but other cities are now equally affected, as are some rural areas, where health care is, at best, rudimentary. We are not seeing just how horrific this is - though what we ARE seeing is bad enough. Now, Nepal, Bangladesh and Pakistan all report sharp increases in cases as well.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4217 on: April 30, 2021, 08:19:32 PM »

Horrible, NS.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4218 on: April 30, 2021, 08:36:39 PM »

Hard to imagine just how traumatic that must be for her.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4219 on: April 30, 2021, 09:14:45 PM »
Hard to imagine just how traumatic that must be for her.
And she can't go back for the funerals.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4220 on: May 04, 2021, 10:09:43 AM »
Indian Cricket T20 league suspended because of Covid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56978321

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4221 on: May 04, 2021, 10:47:03 AM »
Indian Cricket T20 league suspended because of Covid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56978321
Given the situation in India, I'm surprised it took this long.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Robbie

« Reply #4222 on: May 04, 2021, 10:12:14 PM »
Can't find adequate words, terribly, terribly sad.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #4223 on: May 05, 2021, 06:07:14 AM »

Thanks guys for discussing the India situation.

Yes...it is a bad situation.  The authorities did not anticipate the accelerated spike that has taken place.  They probably thought.... even if a second wave comes around it would be similar to the first. But the second wave is several times more  infectious and deadly than the first.  It is catching on by leaps and bounds.

Oxygen, Remdesivir, ventilators and even hospital beds are in short supply.....similar to the situation Italy faced last year.

Vaccinations were planned when the pandemic was at a low....sometime in November. It was a slow, long term, leisurely plan.  But the second wave has now made vaccinations an urgency......and there is short supply.

Anyway the front line warriors are holding up...and the graph appears to be peaking. 

Hoping for the best.

One plus is that many Indians are rejecting superstitious beliefs and swamis and such people.  Faith in science is growing.  :)

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #4224 on: May 05, 2021, 02:25:51 PM »
India cases
Updated 5 May at 13:51 local
Confirmed

Deaths

Recovered

United Kingdom
Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

Recovered: