Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 239685 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4275 on: May 22, 2021, 07:07:25 PM »
Okay, so a simple question: if young people use their innate immune system (which depletes with age) to neutralize coronavirus, why do they need to be vaccinated?

Because this is a new virus to humans that we have no natural immunity for. Yes, most people will fight the virus off but it will continue to mutate if there is too much of it in circulation. In addition, even though many will fight it off without any problems, a large enough number will not and will in the worst case scenario die, or will be left with long covid. The mutations, as we have seen with the Indian variant is affecting younger people and they are dying without vaccination and proper medical treatment. What are you finding so difficult to understand?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Spud

« Reply #4276 on: May 22, 2021, 07:17:05 PM »
Spud

Why do you think it is that 'flu' vaccines can be offered to susceptible people on an annual basis?
What does that have to do with my question?

Spud

« Reply #4277 on: May 22, 2021, 07:43:15 PM »
Because this is a new virus to humans that we have no natural immunity for. Yes, most people will fight the virus off but it will continue to mutate if there is too much of it in circulation. In addition, even though many will fight it off without any problems, a large enough number will not and will in the worst case scenario die, or will be left with long covid. The mutations, as we have seen with the Indian variant is affecting younger people and they are dying without vaccination and proper medical treatment. What are you finding so difficult to understand?
Presumably there's a threshold level of vaccination at which herd immunity will occur?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4278 on: May 22, 2021, 07:50:44 PM »
Presumably there's a threshold level of vaccination at which herd immunity will occur?

This explains more about threshold levels.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/herd-immunity-lockdowns-and-covid-19

As yet they do not have a definite figure, but purely going on the way it spreads so easily I think it's going to fall at the higher end of the 70 - 85% range that has been predicted.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4279 on: May 22, 2021, 07:55:04 PM »
And on vaccinations in general. This outlines why they are so very important and effective:

https://ourworldindata.org/vaccination

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4280 on: May 22, 2021, 08:42:07 PM »
What does that have to do with my question?

Whoosh!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4281 on: May 23, 2021, 06:13:18 PM »
BBC interviewer:-
'How did Singapore handle pandemic so well?'
Singapore Health Official:- 'Question should be "How did UK not handle it so well?"'
BBC interviewer:-
'What do you mean?'
Singapore Health Official:-
'We followed 'UK Pandemic Response Protocol', the UK did not!'

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4282 on: May 24, 2021, 05:08:24 PM »
Just heard that colleague in India has died from Covid. He had a six year old son.

SusanDoris

« Reply #4283 on: May 25, 2021, 08:11:01 AM »
Just heard that colleague in India has died from Covid. He had a six year old son.
So many sad stories. And I know this is off topic, but I heard yesterday there is a 5-year-old boy who was the only survivor of the Italian ski-lift disaster.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4284 on: May 25, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4286 on: May 25, 2021, 10:25:43 AM »
Confusion.

I'd have said ineptitude. But yes, not, I think, deliberate.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #4287 on: May 25, 2021, 10:54:12 AM »
I'd have said ineptitude. But yes, not, I think, deliberate.

Sorry, I thought that's what you meant. There's no point in making new rules if you are not going to tell the affected people that they exist.If you wanted to hide the bad news, you wouldn't make the new rules up at all. This is pure incompetence.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4288 on: May 25, 2021, 11:01:27 AM »
Confusion, or a deliberate hiding of bad news?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/government-changes-covid-19-guidance-in-8-areas-with-no-official-announcement/

Possibly both: but given that Johnson has to cater to his Tory lunatic fringe element, who seem to want no restrictions at all as of yesterday, and since he has recently said that he sees no current impediments to the target June date (in England) for the removal of restrictions, I'd imagine that anything that might prejudice that wouldn't be welcome news from Johnson's perspective.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4289 on: June 01, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »
Deaths in Peru reassessed to nearly 3 times what was the estimate. Suspect this applies in more countries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-57307861

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #4290 on: June 01, 2021, 12:38:41 PM »
Deaths in Peru reassessed to nearly 3 times what was the estimate. Suspect this applies in more countries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-57307861

I'm afraid to even take a guess at the numbers fro India. 300,000 seems ludicrously underestimated.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4291 on: June 01, 2021, 02:32:55 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #4292 on: June 01, 2021, 04:27:39 PM »
Zero daily deaths in the UK

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57320320

However, the number of cases is on the rise, so don't expect this to continue.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4294 on: June 07, 2021, 09:56:37 AM »
Of course

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dido-harding-eyes-role-as-head-of-nhs-sqzww3fb9
"Eyes role"? I'm sure many people's will. Keep Dido Queen of Carnage away from the NHS, or we're doomed!
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #4295 on: June 07, 2021, 02:15:18 PM »
Cases are rising fast. I really don't want them to delay the opening up on the 21st, but I fear for the future if we don't.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk

Deaths haven't caught up with the trend though and perhaps they won't, if we are lucky. On a positive note, the increase in cases doesn't seem to be affecting hospital admissions.

Roses

« Reply #4296 on: June 07, 2021, 03:19:54 PM »
I have just ordered some anti-fog nose clips to put on my face masks, they are supposed to stop my specs steaming up. I hope they work.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4297 on: June 09, 2021, 08:57:46 PM »

Boris Johnson saying that children of wealthy parents have access to private tutoring "because of their parents' hard work".

So parents whose pay isn't high enough to afford tutoring are not hard working? Johnson is just such a prick.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:32:32 PM by Nearly Sane »

Roses

« Reply #4298 on: June 14, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »
The present lockdown rules here will stay in place for at least another four weeks, which is wise as the delta variant is spreading
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #4299 on: June 15, 2021, 06:06:00 AM »
Johnson is just such a prick.

So you are favourably disposed towards him, then?

It will be interesting to learn how much of the hospitality and similar industries will respond to this.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?