Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 239796 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4325 on: June 26, 2021, 07:57:53 PM »
Hand-on-cock has resigned.
Surely that's Hand-on-Arse?

Roses

« Reply #4327 on: June 30, 2021, 02:35:13 PM »
That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I was only saying to my husband, when watching the lunchtime time news dominated by England's win yesterday, the Covid rate in England would go through the roof with the all the hugging and kissing that was going on. ::)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Spud

« Reply #4328 on: June 30, 2021, 03:30:17 PM »
Meanwhile, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has denied the tie between England and Scotland.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4329 on: June 30, 2021, 04:33:45 PM »
Meanwhile, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has denied the tie between England and Scotland.

Could you elaborate on that? Not sure what you mean.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4330 on: June 30, 2021, 04:46:38 PM »

I'd agree with her - we're miles apart.

(I suspect you need to explain what you are alluding to).

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4331 on: June 30, 2021, 05:50:07 PM »

I googled it and came up with this story in the Express.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1453508/nicola-sturgeon-news-uk-rejected-england-urged-sever-ties-scotland-indyref2-spt

I'm still none the wiser.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4332 on: June 30, 2021, 06:17:56 PM »
I googled it and came up with this story in the Express.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1453508/nicola-sturgeon-news-uk-rejected-england-urged-sever-ties-scotland-indyref2-spt

I'm still none the wiser.
What an incredibly badly written article!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4333 on: June 30, 2021, 06:22:16 PM »
What an incredibly badly written article!

Glad it wasn't just me. I re-read it again and it still didn't seem coherent.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Spud

« Reply #4334 on: June 30, 2021, 07:47:04 PM »
The Sun's front page headline on 19 June was something like, "INSEPERABLE - Sturgeon denies England and Scotland tied"

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4335 on: June 30, 2021, 08:17:38 PM »
Obviously the racist lying incompetent thug that is PM when asked about this at PMQs dismissed this as compared to Hancock, and Cumming, and Jenrick as just Westminster bubble stuff but that's because he's a lying raxist incompetent thug.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-57503382?at_custom4=twitter&at_medium=custom7&at_custom2=twitter&at_custom1=%5Bpost+type%5D&at_custom3=%40BBCPolitics&at_campaign=64

Roses

« Reply #4336 on: July 02, 2021, 11:35:54 AM »
Apparently some kids have been using lemon juice to fake positive Covid tests so they and their classmates can be sent home from school. I must admit if there had been a pandemic when I was a kid, and similar circumstances to what we have at present, I would have been up for that, disliking school as I did. NAUGHTY ME! :-[

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4337 on: July 02, 2021, 11:44:14 AM »
Apparently some kids have been using lemon juice to fake positive Covid tests so they and their classmates can be sent home from school. I must admit if there had been a pandemic when I was a kid, and similar circumstances to what we have at present, I would have been up for that, disliking school as I did. NAUGHTY ME! :-[
It's like something out of the Beano! Have to admire.

Robbie

« Reply #4338 on: July 02, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »

It shows remarkable ingenuity.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Spud

« Reply #4339 on: July 03, 2021, 07:39:24 PM »
I'm trying to work out how lemon juice could be used to fake a positive test. Can it also be used to fake a vaccination certificate?

Roses

« Reply #4340 on: July 04, 2021, 11:15:51 AM »
I'm trying to work out how lemon juice could be used to fake a positive test. Can it also be used to fake a vaccination certificate?

Ehhhhhhhhhhh, what on earth has faking a positive Covid test have to do with faking a vaccination certificate?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4341 on: July 08, 2021, 07:26:17 PM »

Olympics held in a state of emergency

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57760883

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4342 on: July 08, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »
This threads has been surprisingly quiet. I would have thought more would have been said about PM Johnson's "one bound and we're free" 19th July effort.

Feeling perky about no one having to wear masks anymore?

Happy that dear Mr Javid is making a bonfire of all the gains we've made?

My advice: if you are thinking of going shopping, the first thing I would buy is some FFP3 masks.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4343 on: July 08, 2021, 07:49:26 PM »
This threads has been surprisingly quiet. I would have thought more would have been said about PM Johnson's "one bound and we're free" 19th July effort.

Feeling perky about no one having to wear masks anymore?

Happy that dear Mr Javid is making a bonfire of all the gains we've made?

My advice: if you are thinking of going shopping, the first thing I would buy is some FFP3 masks.
But but Freeeeeeeeedoooooooommmmmm

Roses

« Reply #4344 on: July 09, 2021, 11:17:54 AM »
I think it is crazy to end restrictions so soon as the number of people with the virus here in the UK has risen dramatically. :o

SusanDoris

« Reply #4345 on: July 09, 2021, 11:30:55 AM »
I think it is crazy to end restrictions so soon as the number of people with the virus here in the UK has risen dramatically. :o
But what date would you choose and why?
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Roses

« Reply #4346 on: July 09, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »
Restrictions like wearing face masks and social distancing should not be lifted until the virus is no longer a danger, however long that takes.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #4347 on: July 09, 2021, 11:52:26 AM »
I though the point was that we should make our decisions based on data rather than dates.

So we should be setting a threshold based on, numbers of cases (plus hospitalisations and deaths) and their direction of travel (downwards rather than upwards) and the proportion of people who are fully vaccinated.

The most recent data show that is isn't just cases that are rising strongly, but also hospitalisations and deaths, with the latter two showing approx 50% increase week on week at the moment. And while their numbers are currently relatively low, the notion of exponential growth means that they attain pretty high levels within a few weeks unless cases plateaux and start to fall. And there doesn't seem to be much evidence for this and the proposed opening up in a couple of weeks will turbo charge cases with hospital admissions following soon after as night follows day.

So lets follow the data, not set arbitrary dates.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4348 on: July 09, 2021, 12:28:43 PM »
it's not a question of the date. It's a question of what is reasonable on the date.

I am all in favour of opening up as much as we can, but to get rid of the mandate for mask wearing is irresponsible in the extreme.

Mask wearing is such an easy win in terms of controlling the spread of the virus. It allows for most things to be done as normal and yet it significantly reduces infection if all adhere to that one restriction. What so many people appear to miss is the virus's capability to mutate and that in order to mutate it is much easier if there is a lot of virus in circulation which is the case now, and will be even more so when we open with no safeguards in place.

Johnson has made it sound like an either/or decision. That is nonsense. We can open up with a few safeguards in place.

All the government are doing at the moment is taking a huge gamble, a gamble that risks making England a world beater in variant creation and also risks significant numbers of people being affected by long covid.

This government is appalling.

Spud

« Reply #4349 on: July 09, 2021, 01:08:04 PM »
it's not a question of the date. It's a question of what is reasonable on the date.

I am all in favour of opening up as much as we can, but to get rid of the mandate for mask wearing is irresponsible in the extreme.

Mask wearing is such an easy win in terms of controlling the spread of the virus. It allows for most things to be done as normal and yet it significantly reduces infection if all adhere to that one restriction. What so many people appear to miss is the virus's capability to mutate and that in order to mutate it is much easier if there is a lot of virus in circulation which is the case now, and will be even more so when we open with no safeguards in place.

Johnson has made it sound like an either/or decision. That is nonsense. We can open up with a few safeguards in place.

All the government are doing at the moment is taking a huge gamble, a gamble that risks making England a world beater in variant creation and also risks significant numbers of people being affected by long covid.

This government is appalling.
Re mutation: I've read stuff to the effect of if there is a lot of virus it may mutate, yes, but the mutations won't be selected for, since the original strain is surviving. But if that strain is under pressure and is being neutralised by vaccine-induced antibodies, and mutated strains are more resistant to those antibodies, a new variant will survive and replicate until it becomes the dominant one. (It will be 'selected for').
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 01:15:25 PM by Spud »