Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 239937 times)

Roses

Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #4400 on: July 17, 2021, 03:16:02 PM »
I have just seen that, I wonder if he will have a change of heart about getting rid of lockdown?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 03:18:06 PM by Roses »
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4401 on: July 17, 2021, 03:20:09 PM »
I have just seen that, I wonder if he will have a change of heart about getting rid of lockdown?
I doubt it. He's a reasonably intelligent bloke, and therefore will realise that you shouldn't generalise from a single instance.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #4402 on: July 17, 2021, 04:15:27 PM »
If he is a reasonably intelligent bloke he would realise getting rid of lockdown is a HUGE mistake.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4403 on: July 17, 2021, 04:46:45 PM »
If he is a reasonably intelligent bloke he would realise getting rid of lockdown is a HUGE mistake.
He has all the figures and expert advice, and you don't. Furthermore, it is possible to be intelligent and to disagree with you.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #4404 on: July 17, 2021, 04:51:10 PM »
The cases of Covid are now as bad as they were in January and hospital admissions are rising too, so it seems stupid to ease lockdown at present.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4405 on: July 17, 2021, 05:34:01 PM »
He has all the figures and expert advice, and you don't. Furthermore, it is possible to be intelligent and to disagree with you.

Have you not been following The Lancet on this?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/16/englands-lifting-of-covid-lockdowns-a-danger-to-whole-world-experts.html

On any level what the government is doing is ill advised and goes against established pandemic management.

He is wrong. Just because Roses posted and you felt knee jerking as usual doesn't change the fact that he and the government are conducting a massive experiment on the people of the UK (I say UK because what happens in England will inevitably spill over to the other countries) .

This government is deliberately putting more of the population in harm's way. It is morally wrong and it is unforgivable.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4406 on: July 17, 2021, 09:16:38 PM »
Is it difficult to speak when you have your tongue that far up the Tory govts arse?

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #4407 on: July 18, 2021, 06:18:25 AM »

In the US, there seems to be a correlation between people who don't want to get vaccinated and people who believe Joe Biden won by fraud.  How about that!  :D   

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/17/politics/conspiracy-theories-election-vaccines-analysis/index.html

Frankly, I don't see the connection but it is interesting.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4408 on: July 18, 2021, 08:44:26 AM »

In the US, there seems to be a correlation between people who don't want to get vaccinated and people who believe Joe Biden won by fraud.  How about that!  :D   

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/17/politics/conspiracy-theories-election-vaccines-analysis/index.html

Frankly, I don't see the connection but it is interesting.

Trump voters is the connection. They have always been the ones who believe lies about vaccination.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4409 on: July 18, 2021, 11:40:17 AM »

And UK govt continues with its mixed messaging, with Johnson and Sunak going to break the rules until they were callled out on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57879730

Roses

« Reply #4410 on: July 18, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »
I was absolutely disgusted when I heard that they weren't intending to self isolate as the rest of us are supposed to do! They are probably only self isolating now because they are more concerned about losing their jobs than the safety of the public. >:(

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #4411 on: July 18, 2021, 04:36:14 PM »
Obviously they have their ears to the ground and can tell that the wildebeest are on the move ... from more than 10 paces away!

I'm wondering when they will cancel Christmas this year - will they wait until Christmas eve or just the two days before again?

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #4412 on: July 19, 2021, 08:31:00 AM »
There is no small sense of irony and also symbolism that on the very day that has been dubbed "Freedom Day" our PM and Chancellor are having to self isolate.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4413 on: July 19, 2021, 09:04:25 AM »
The whole 'Freedom Day' in England seems chaotic - from what I've been reading Nadhim Zahawi, who is doing the media rounds this morning, is really playing up that people should wear facemasks in shops, public transport and anywhere they are requested to - which makes me wonder why they didn't just retain the 'wear facemasks' requirement.

The idea that all this becomes a matter of personal responsibility, especially given the recent increase in cases, sound a lot like the UK government trying to shift the blame so that if things get worse it becomes the fault of Joe Public.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #4414 on: July 19, 2021, 09:52:49 AM »
The whole 'Freedom Day' in England seems chaotic - from what I've been reading Nadhim Zahawi, who is doing the media rounds this morning, is really playing up that people should wear facemasks in shops, public transport and anywhere they are requested to - which makes me wonder why they didn't just retain the 'wear facemasks' requirement.

The idea that all this becomes a matter of personal responsibility, especially given the recent increase in cases, sound a lot like the UK government trying to shift the blame so that if things get worse it becomes the fault of Joe Public.
I did hope, as I said on here earlier, that the great majority of people would be responsible, and continue to wear masks in enclosed public places, and take other precautions, but if my local Facebook group is anything to go by, I was being over-optimistic. There are dozens of posts, from various members, mostly semi-literate, parroting the new line from the anti-vaccinators and Covid-deniers that it's a matter of personal choice: wearing one is fine, and not wearing one is also fine. They are unable or (more likely) unwilling to understand that it's a matter of protecting others as well as yourself. Maybe Rosie is right after all (he muttered through clenched teeth) - maybe it should be a legal requirement for a while longer. Society needs protecting from these selfish morons.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 09:55:04 AM by Steve H »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4415 on: July 19, 2021, 10:11:21 AM »
I did hope, as I said on here earlier, that the great majority of people would be responsible, and continue to wear masks in enclosed public places, and take other precautions, but if my local Facebook group is anything to go by, I was being over-optimistic. There are dozens of posts, from various members, mostly semi-literate, parroting the new line from the anti-vaccinators and Covid-deniers that it's a matter of personal choice: wearing one is fine, and not wearing one is also fine. They are unable or (more likely) unwilling to understand that it's a matter of protecting others as well as yourself. Maybe Rosie is right after all (he muttered through clenched teeth) - maybe it should be a legal requirement for a while longer. Society needs protecting from these selfish morons.

Face coverings remain mandatory here in Scotland even though other restrictions have eased so, presumably, that could have been the case in England too.

It seems that there is an element of the Tory party that is all for "Freedom Day", so maybe it is Tory party politics that is driving the situation in England, but not so much here.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4416 on: July 19, 2021, 10:49:50 AM »
Face coverings remain mandatory here in Scotland even though other restrictions have eased so, presumably, that could have been the case in England too.

It seems that there is an element of the Tory party that is all for "Freedom Day", so maybe it is Tory party politics that is driving the situation in England, but not so much here.
Though the move for some areas in Scotland from level 2 to level '0' seems just as driven by politics as in England - even though our cases in part because of the earlier school holidays have just begun to fall again, though are still overall slightly hiigher than England. I think Sturgeon has seemed less driven by politics either by shutting down a bit earlier, or opening up a bit later. The overall numbers don't really indicate a significant difference.

I also think that having a level 0, which with some tweaks last week, is now a sort of level 0.25, is a bad piece of messaging given it's not no restrictions and yet reads that way.

Roses

« Reply #4417 on: July 19, 2021, 11:32:52 AM »
When I went to the supermarket this morning the checkout operator was most concerned that people would remove their masks in the store when lockdown is lifted in Wales next month. I hope they won't, I will be wearing mine and socially distancing.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #4418 on: July 19, 2021, 12:22:10 PM »
When I went to the supermarket this morning the checkout operator was most concerned that people would remove their masks in the store when lockdown is lifted in Wales next month. I hope they won't, I will be wearing mine and socially distancing.

Just been into three shops at lunchtime today: Waitrose, Boots, Wilkinsons. Waitrose had a sign outside saying "please continue to wear masks". Neither of the other two did, but in all three I only saw two people not wearing masks.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4419 on: July 19, 2021, 05:56:49 PM »
60% of those being admitted to hospital with Covid double jagged

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-60-of-people-being-admitted-to-hospital-with-coronavirus-have-been-double-jabbed-says-vallance-12359317

ETA: He's now corrected this to 60% are unvaccinated
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 08:35:44 PM by Nearly Sane »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

SusanDoris

« Reply #4421 on: July 20, 2021, 06:32:41 AM »
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4423 on: July 20, 2021, 09:55:24 AM »
Have to say gigen the number of people I know in India who have died, this feels correct.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-57888460

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #4424 on: July 20, 2021, 09:57:15 AM »
But, of course

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/lateral-flow-test-run-out-b1886589.html

hmm.. I ordered one yesterday afternoon ... to be delivered this afternoon according to Royal Mail text msg.

I expect that as you can't now rely on people social distancing or wearing masks people will want to test before meeting relatives or friends etc.
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now