Author Topic: God and suffering  (Read 15016 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
God and suffering
« on: March 23, 2020, 10:50:44 AM »
Firstly, may I ask that this thread remains polite and sarcasm-free - probably a vain hope, but there's no harm in asking.

I googled to find some articles on the subject from Christians. I found plenty, but most were twee, patronising and excessively wordy. This one, though, is reasonably intelligent.
My two-penn'orth: maybe God can't end suffering. The idea of omnipotence, as developed in Christian theology, comes mainly from Greek philosophy - it doesn't have much support from the bible, which portrays God as the most powerful agent, but not necessarily all-powerful. In any case, even omnipotence has its limits. it doesn't include the ability to perform logical contradictions, and even an omnipotent God, having given humans free-will, can't also prevent them using that free-will.
Talking of which, maybe the whole of creation, not just us, has something akin to free-will: it may be that by creasting a physical universe separate from God's self, God is unable to have complete control over it, because it is separate from God.
OK, shoot me down in flames.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 10:57:53 AM by Hercules Grytpype-Thynne »
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Walter

Re: God and suffering
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 10:54:26 AM »
Firstly, may I ask that this thread remains polite and sarcasm-free - probably a vain hope, but there's no harm in asking.

I googled to find some articles on the subject from Christians. I found plenty, but most were twee, patronising and excessively wordy. This one, though, is reasonably intelligent.
My two-penn'orth: maybe God can't rend suffering. The idea of omnipotence, as developed in Christian theology, comes mainly from Greek philosophy - it doesn't have much support from the bible, which portrays God as the most powerful agent, but not necessarily all-powerful. In any case, even omnipotence has its limits. it doesn't include the ability to perform logical contradictions, and even an omnipotent God, having given humans free-will, can't also prevent them using that free-will.
Talking of which, maybe the whole of creation, not just us, has something akin to free-will: it may be that by creasting a physical universe separate from God's self, God is unable to have complete control over it, because it is separate from God.
rat-a-tat-at-tat-tat   BOOM 💥

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 12:47:53 PM »

My two-penn'orth: maybe God can't end suffering. The idea of omnipotence, as developed in Christian theology, comes mainly from Greek philosophy - it doesn't have much support from the bible, which portrays God as the most powerful agent, but not necessarily all-powerful. In any case, even omnipotence has its limits. it doesn't include the ability to perform logical contradictions, and even an omnipotent God, having given humans free-will, can't also prevent them using that free-will.

So fast forward this, your position is you can't have free will without evil?

Does this apply to heaven?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 12:56:13 PM »
I  don't find it necessary that the creator of the Universe needs to be omnipotent or omniscient in it. When I was a Christian, it was my assumption that God did not have complete control. It's pretty obvious when you look at the World that that must be the case if God exists and is omnibenevolent.

The problem I have is with  Christians claiming that God has all the omnis. It's just not logically coherent. I'm fine with you claiming God exists, as long as you don't force me to pretend to believe in him too, but I am not find with you claiming logically incoherent properties for your god.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 12:57:39 PM »
The 'Problem of Evil' is a compelling argument though, since if Christian theology argues that divine intent is that there needs to be a degree of suffering so as to allow 'good' to happen then surely the scale of suffering allowed should be proportionate to the capacity for 'good' - and yet there is an abundance of suffering going on, and not just involving humans.

Stephen Law's summary of the Problem of Evil on Philosophy Bites covers this.

https://philosophybites.com/2007/06/stephen_law_on_.html

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 01:45:10 PM »
I  don't find it necessary that the creator of the Universe needs to be omnipotent or omniscient in it. When I was a Christian, it was my assumption that God did not have complete control. It's pretty obvious when you look at the World that that must be the case if God exists and is omnibenevolent.

The problem I have is with  Christians claiming that God has all the omnis. It's just not logically coherent. I'm fine with you claiming God exists, as long as you don't force me to pretend to believe in him too, but I am not find with you claiming logically incoherent properties for your god.
I agree absdolutely.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Outrider

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:34:57 AM »

Except that, as has been covered in some depth elsewhere on the boards, the idea of free will is both not supported well by any evidence and is itself logically self-contradictory - something can be free, or it can be will, but it doesn't seem as though there's any way for it to be both.

That 'limited' sort of God, a fallible one, as it were, seems more viable given the evidence of the world around us, but raises a new question; if the deity is not perfect, does not have all the answers, then why should we obey/adhere?  Suddenly the obvious gaps in the morality depicted in the scriptures become as likely to be an artefact of the deity as of the interpretation, and you have something powerful but which still needs to justify itself, and at that point is it any more worthy of worship than, say, the Pope, or the Queen?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 01:59:33 PM »
       God never promised us that there would be no suffering - not even for those who trust Him; What He DID promise is that He will be with us every step of the way. You've sung the psalm.... "Even though I walk through the valley of deepest darkness, I will not be afraid, for You are with me...."
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 03:45:30 PM »
       God never promised us that there would be no suffering - not even for those who trust Him; What He DID promise is that He will be with us every step of the way. You've sung the psalm.... "Even though I walk through the valley of deepest darkness, I will not be afraid, for You are with me...."

Very comforting, NOT! >:(
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SusanDoris

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 04:17:01 PM »
Very comforting, NOT! >:(
Why would anyone believe that God said anything directly instead of realising that it was a human idea, I wonder.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Roses

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 04:31:03 PM »
Why would anyone believe that God said anything directly instead of realising that it was a human idea, I wonder.

Goodness knows! ::)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Enki

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 05:17:55 PM »

If I were to take on board HGT's idea that there is a God who is not omnipotent then instead of this promise about being with us every step of the way, perhaps He should have said something such as this.

"Sorry about this suffering thing, but I really have no control over it, even though I created everything.  I must admit to making a bit of a ball's up over it. However, I promise I will be with those who suffer as much as I can, and just hope that they can forgive Me "

On the other hand, if He were omnipotent, then He comes across as a very unpleasant and distasteful entity. Either way, I, personally, would see no point in worshipping Him at all. For me, that would tend towards pure hypocrisy.

I actually lay no blame at all at God's door because I have no belief He exists. Hence to blame Him would be illogical and foolish.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 05:39:12 PM »
What’s odd I think about the casuistry some try to explain away evil in a world under the fiefdom of an omnibenevolent god is that it all “works” the other way around too – ie, as a rationale for an evil god. Thus for the rationale for a benevolent god of, “ah, but without bad things we’d have no appreciation of how good the good things are – therefore bad things”, one might equally say to rationalise an evil god, “ah, but without good things we’d have no appreciation of how bad the bad things are – therefore good things”.

It all makes sense with no god at all of course as some good things happening and some bad things happening is just what you’d expect that way.

Ah well.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 06:25:56 PM »
Rewatching The West Wing and just watched this, one of the great scenes in what I think is the greatest TV episode ever.

https://youtu.be/DprfUzLAjuc

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 06:35:02 PM »
If I were to take on board HGT's idea that there is a God who is not omnipotent then instead of this promise about being with us every step of the way, perhaps He should have said something such as this.

"Sorry about this suffering thing, but I really have no control over it, even though I created everything.  I must admit to making a bit of a ball's up over it. However, I promise I will be with those who suffer as much as I can, and just hope that they can forgive Me "

On the other hand, if He were omnipotent, then He comes across as a very unpleasant and distasteful entity. Either way, I, personally, would see no point in worshipping Him at all. For me, that would tend towards pure hypocrisy.

I actually lay no blame at all at God's door because I have no belief He exists. Hence to blame Him would be illogical and foolish.

The God I serve revealed His omnipotant love in perfect weakness on a wooden ceoss for me.
Do I understand the theology of suffering completely?
No.
But I don't really need to either.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Enki

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 08:47:06 PM »

The God I serve revealed His omnipotant love in perfect weakness on a wooden ceoss for me.
No.

I think we will simply have to agree on your last sentence, Anks, but undoubtedly for very different reasons.

Far more important for me is how we react to and attempt to alleviate as much suffering as possible and, in attempting to do this,  to try to understand and appreciate that so many difficult decisions have to be made.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Walter

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 10:19:17 PM »

No.
have you any idea how pathetic you sound
You should be ashamed of yourself
Ffs

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 08:45:53 AM »

What is omnipotent love? What is perfect weakness? If you analyse the meaning of that sentence, it seems there isn't any in it.
No.

I think it's important that you do. You have a god who subjects you to suffering and yet expects you to love him. I would want to understand why.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 08:53:17 AM »
have you any idea how pathetic you sound
You should be ashamed of yourself
Ffs

Why?
Why is my faith 'pathetic'?

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 08:59:16 AM »
Why?
Why is my faith 'pathetic'?
I wouldn't call it pathetic, but it does sound somewhat anti-intellectual.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 09:16:26 AM »
I wouldn't call it pathetic, but it does sound somewhat anti-intellectual.

Surrendering to Christ does not mean abandoning reason or intellect.
One can have a satisfying, full relationship with Christ and still question, probe and explore the dimensions of that relationship.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 09:41:30 AM »
What’s odd I think about the casuistry some try to explain away evil in a world under the fiefdom of an omnibenevolent god is that it all “works” the other way around too – ie, as a rationale for an evil god. Thus for the rationale for a benevolent god of, “ah, but without bad things we’d have no appreciation of how good the good things are – therefore bad things”, one might equally say to rationalise an evil god, “ah, but without good things we’d have no appreciation of how bad the bad things are – therefore good things”.

Can benevolence be reasoned out or reasoned at. I'm not so sure it can be.

''Without bad things we'd have no appreciation of how good the good things are...''
Is that really the central tenet of theodicy? It sounds like advice you'd give to an offspring just jilted in a romance to me.

I think it is a testing time for all beliefs and we all probably have an investment in all for some of these. I refer of course to.

Progress and enlightenment. How far is that working out Is all of society  showing the evidence of the fruits of these at the moment. On the other hand we have the hope that things will not be as bad or worse than in similar past times, that we understand better.

Humanism. We have the hope that people and governments will do the right thing and that obligations to each other will be met.

Christianity. Has never said anything that suggested there was not good or bad in the world it has never held a rosy picture on suffering. As a new Christian in my early twenties much of the literature on hand in my first church for new christians was aimed at teenagers but from it I remember the words ''God hasn't made bullet proof Christians.'' Christians will carry on praying for all  and being the same boat as everybody else.

Espousing the view that a GodLess universe explains the balance of Good and Bad
must have surely been tested as that ''balance'' has shifted somewhat.

I'd like to commend the thoughts of Jacob Astley before going into battle at Edgehill a point at which all intellectual formulations about the consequences for those involved had given out and could no more provide consolation or sustainance

Lord though knowest how busy I will be. If I forget you do not forget me.

Outrider

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 10:38:45 AM »
Can benevolence be reasoned out or reasoned at. I'm not so sure it can be.

I think it can, it produces a society that we're all better off in - the more benevolent societies are typically those that are self-reportedly the happiest, so it's a long-term investment in our own benefit.

''Without bad things we'd have no appreciation of how good the good things are...'' Is that really the central tenet of theodicy? It sounds like advice you'd give to an offspring just jilted in a romance to me.

Is there a 'central tenet' to anything in religion?  It does seem as though it shifts with time and circumstance to suit the culture in which it's manifesting (much, to be fair, as other ideologies and philosophies do).

I think it is a testing time for all beliefs and we all probably have an investment in all for some of these. I refer of course to.

Progress and enlightenment. How far is that working out Is all of society  showing the evidence of the fruits of these at the moment. On the other hand we have the hope that things will not be as bad or worse than in similar past times, that we understand better.

That's manifestly working out for society as a whole - the absolute poorest are in a significantly better position in life than they were even a century ago, across vast swathes of the world.  We aren't finished yet, by any stretch, but life is better for the majority of people than it has been in earlier generations.

Humanism. We have the hope that people and governments will do the right thing and that obligations to each other will be met.

Haven't we always hoped that?  The difference,  I feel, is that as time goes on we're getting better and better at including the diversity and range of all that are 'human' rather than judging based on a narrow subset.

Christianity. Has never said anything that suggested there was not good or bad in the world it has never held a rosy picture on suffering.

That rather depends on the individual Christian - certainly if you look, for instance, at the work of Mother Theresa there was a great deal of preaching on the nobility of suffering.

As a new Christian in my early twenties much of the literature on hand in my first church for new christians was aimed at teenagers but from it I remember the words ''God hasn't made bullet proof Christians.'' Christians will carry on praying for all  and being the same boat as everybody else.

Except in those places where they're trying to create a special status for themselves (i.e. USA) or those places where other religious or ideological groups are trying to suppress or subjugate them.

Espousing the view that a GodLess universe explains the balance of Good and Bad must have surely been tested as that ''balance'' has shifted somewhat.

Not really - with no external guiding principal any 'balance' is accidental until and unless we choose to impose some measure of balance on it.  If it's shifted one way or the other it's because we've either made deliberate efforts to make it happen or we've taken our eye off the ball and not watched it closely enough as nature took its course.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 12:21:46 PM »
I think it can, it produces a society that we're all better off in - the more benevolent societies are typically those that are self-reportedly the happiest, so it's a long-term investment in our own benefit.

Is there a 'central tenet' to anything in religion?  It does seem as though it shifts with time and circumstance to suit the culture in which it's manifesting (much, to be fair, as other ideologies and philosophies do).

That's manifestly working out for society as a whole - the absolute poorest are in a significantly better position in life than they were even a century ago, across vast swathes of the world.  We aren't finished yet, by any stretch, but life is better for the majority of people than it has been in earlier generations.

Haven't we always hoped that?  The difference,  I feel, is that as time goes on we're getting better and better at including the diversity and range of all that are 'human' rather than judging based on a narrow subset.

That rather depends on the individual Christian - certainly if you look, for instance, at the work of Mother Theresa there was a great deal of preaching on the nobility of suffering.

O.
Yes I think  most have invested in progress and enlightenment and taken it for granted and now we are I think down to having faith that its beliefs and goals will hold true. Same with humanism. Most people have been humane and it has come together. Now, we are to have faith that something lasting and endurable has come out of the humanist project and that it won't slide back or collapse because conditions militate against it.

In terms of Mother Theresa either this old lady had her wires crossed...or you do.
I find that someone who can weep at the site of British people living in cardboard boxes in the middle of London is not someone who is as pro suffering as you seem to be suggesting. I find no revelling or her going 'lucky noble bastards here'.They weren't there in the fifties, sixties and seventies. That they were there in the eighties is not a reason to put your faith in progress.

I suspect campaigning atheist mythos at work here.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:26:37 PM by The return of Vlad »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 01:15:14 PM »
Anchs,

Surrendering to Christ does not mean abandoning reason or intellect.

Yes it does. “Surrendering to Christ” is a belief, so like any other requires sound reasons to justify it. You may have them but prefer to keep them secret but, to that extent at least, you have "abandoned reason". 

One can have a satisfying, full relationship with Christ and still question, probe and explore the dimensions of that relationship.

One can believe that they have that, but actually to have that you need sound reasoning to justify the belief – both to yourself and to others. Absent that, the claim is epistemically identical to my claim about my relationship with leprechauns. To your credit you don’t presume to proselytise for your beliefs, but there’s still a hole where the reasoning should be if you want to justify it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 01:24:02 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God