Author Topic: God and suffering  (Read 14977 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: God and suffering
« Reply #200 on: April 09, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »
The irony is that you criticised my post, but don't bother to check your BAD spelling! ::)
Typo. Embarrassing, admittedly. I do, however, know how to spell "punctuated".
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Owlswing

« Reply #201 on: April 09, 2020, 03:42:24 PM »

No hyphen needed between "badly" and "puntuated" [sic]. "Punctuated" spelled incorrectly.

If his championing of Christianity was as good as his nit-picking of everyone elses posts anti-Christianity I might actually begin to read them!

La-de-dah! I think not!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #202 on: April 09, 2020, 10:32:03 PM »
If his championing of Christianity was as good as his nit-picking of everyone elses posts anti-Christianity I might actually begin to read them!

La-de-dah! I think not!
"...everyone else's anti-Christian posts...".
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Owlswing

« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »

"...everyone else's anti-Christian posts...".

His sense of humour is questionable too! (also!) (as well!)

End Of! For mine anyway!

May the Old Ones watch over you and yours always!

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2020, 12:14:12 PM »
AB,

What you seem to be struggling toward here but can't articulate is something like, "I can't imagine that the universe didn't have a beginning, and I can't imagine how that could happened naturalistically. Therefore I'll insert something I call "God" to do the job, and so I won't have to bother asking where this god came from I'll assert that question to be "beyond all human understanding". Job done".

There are several of problems with this nonsense, but why bother with it at all? What not instead just say, "the origin of the universe is beyond all human understanding" and stop there instead of inventing a causal agency that adds nothing to the conclusion and only gives you even more problems when you try to justify it?
I think Bishop Barron puts my argument quite well in this short video about his admiration for Christopher Hitchens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW8yBnpN48w
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

ippy

« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »

Surrendering to Christ does not mean abandoning reason or intellect.
One can have a satisfying, full relationship with Christ and still question, probe and explore the dimensions of that relationship.

It does in my book Anchorman, It's such a sad thing to see in otherwise intelligent adults!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 01:06:06 PM by Nearly Sane »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #206 on: May 03, 2020, 02:09:29 PM »

It does in my book Anchorman, It's such a sad thing to see in otherwise intelligent adults!

Why?
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ippy

« Reply #207 on: May 03, 2020, 05:11:01 PM »

Why?

The utter and complete zero amount of evidence when it comes to the magical, mystical and the child like superstition base these rather obviously man made beliefs are based on.

Of course if the world wide media exploded with an amazing revelation direct from your invisible friend with the necessary irrefutable evidence of whatever it might be, proving it does in fact exist, try to be a bit on the realistic side Anchorman it's not very likely is it?

Regards, ippy.