Author Topic: Woke  (Read 740 times)

ippy

Woke
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:24:43 AM »
I would find it interesting to see the understanding of others on the forum their understanding of woke.

My understanding is that there are some "established" views that have to be taken as the standard view and any that don't want to go along with this, "established view" are to be considered as sumewhat lower than vermin.

I have only used the exaggerated term, lower than vermin, to make the point, I'd find it interesting to read the definition of others about this often spoken about in various parts of the media, 'woke'. 

I don't have any particular viewpoint about this term, just would like to see the the view of others.

ippy.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:37:35 AM by ippy »

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
Re: Woke
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 10:38:24 AM »

Past tense of "to wake" ?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Roses

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »
Past tense of "to wake" ?

I have never heard it used in any other context.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:51:14 AM »
I think I mentioned this in another thread a while back, when I first heard it used in a sense that was unrelated to sleep, and discovered it is used nowadays to refer to having an awareness of social injustice and/or racism.

I'll confess that used like this I do find the term a tad clunky, especially when used verbally. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 11:06:42 AM »
This covers in some detail the emergence of the term

https://www.okayplayer.com/originals/georgia-muldrow-erykah-badu-stay-woke-master-teacher.html

It also has effectively become an insult in some contexts, particularly in the Twitter gender spats, and some refer to the Wokus Dei.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 11:08:58 AM »
I think I mentioned this in another thread a while back, when I first heard it used in a sense that was unrelated to sleep, and discovered it is used nowadays to refer to having an awareness of social injustice and/or racism.

I'll confess that used like this I do find the term a tad clunky, especially when used verbally.

If used like that ... I hope they are using it in quotes with accompanying eyeball rolling :)

Walter

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 11:12:57 AM »
I would find it interesting to see the understanding of others on the forum their understanding of woke.

My understanding is that there are some "established" views that have to be taken as the standard view and any that don't want to go along with this, "established view" are to be considered as sumewhat lower than vermin.

I have only used the exaggerated term, lower than vermin, to make the point, I'd find it interesting to read the definition of others about this often spoken about in various parts of the media, 'woke'. 

I don't have any particular viewpoint about this term, just would like to see the the view of others.

ippy.
it has been used by Youtubers for some considerable time , mainly by Flat EARTHers , anti vaxers , homeopaths and generally anti government , anti pharma and conspiracy theorists of many kinds . They quite often describe themselves as 'TRUTHERS' too. They are generally anti-science types .

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 11:46:59 AM »
This covers in some detail the emergence of the term

https://www.okayplayer.com/originals/georgia-muldrow-erykah-badu-stay-woke-master-teacher.html

It also has effectively become an insult in some contexts, particularly in the Twitter gender spats, and some refer to the Wokus Dei.

The article that that one links to on William Melvin Kelly is pretty interesting:
https://www.okayplayer.com/culture/woke-william-melvin-kelley.html

In the late 60's it was used , meaning "awake to political realities", particularly racism, as opposed to unconsciously conforming to the status quo. It's been mangled since.

ippy

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 12:53:54 PM »
Is their some sort of link to the latest university trend to 'no platform' various people that are viewed as so heinous/wrong thinking/cruel or something like these words where it's assumed the students have woke ideas?

I think it's a modern use of the word woke I believe it's something similar where we now call a car radio a stereo for some strange reason and gay used to mean happy/joyful.

ippy.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 01:35:19 PM »
Is their some sort of link to the latest university trend to 'no platform' various people that are viewed as so heinous/wrong thinking/cruel or something like these words where it's assumed the students have woke ideas?

I think it's a modern use of the word woke I believe it's something similar where we now call a car radio a stereo for some strange reason and gay used to mean happy/joyful.

ippy.

Yes, to the no platforming question.