Author Topic: Cardinal Pell acquitted!  (Read 2990 times)

SteveH

• God? She's black.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

Re: Cardinal Pell acquitted!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 08:30:24 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm!
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 08:33:42 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmmmm!
Sorry to disappoint you - I know how much you enjoy thinking the worst of Christians!
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Roses

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 08:53:38 AM »
Sorry to disappoint you - I know how much you enjoy thinking the worst of Christians!

You aren't a good representative of the faith at all. >:( I DON'T think the worst of all Christians at all, that is a LIE.

As for Pell they didn't say he was innocent, they contended that reasonable doubt hadn't been taken into consideration. I wonder if the judges were of the catholic doctrine? The jury found him guilty and so did the lower appeal court.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 09:19:22 AM »
You aren't a good representative of the faith at all. >:( I DON'T think the worst of all Christians at all, that is a LIE.

As for Pell they didn't say he was innocent, they contended that reasonable doubt hadn't been taken into consideration. I wonder if the judges were of the catholic doctrine? The jury found him guilty and so did the lower appeal court.
I think one has to be very careful about implying that judges should be looked on with suspicion because of their religion.

Owlswing

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 04:08:03 PM »

I think one has to be very careful about implying that judges should be looked on with suspicion because of their religion.

Would you say the same of the judges in a Islamc Court in an Islamic country?
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 04:17:02 PM »
Would you say the same of the judges in a Islamc Court in an Islamic country?
It isn't an Islamic country, it's  a secular country and  thar's what I am worried about losing.

Owlswing

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 04:20:41 PM »

It isn't an Islamic country, it's  a secular country and  thar's what I am worried about losing.

You did not qualify your statement in any way, shape or form, so I consider my question relevant to what you DID say!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 04:35:20 PM »
You did not qualify your statement in any way, shape or form, so I consider my question relevant to what you DID say!
Whatever

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 09:01:41 PM »
From the context it seemed obvious to me he was talking about judges in secular countries. This was confirmed by his reply to you.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Owlswing

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 09:23:30 AM »

Goddess! The sneers are almost audible, but hey ho! Diversity of opinion is the lifeblood of a forum like this is it not.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
Goddess! The sneers are almost audible, but hey ho!
Yes, keep them down will you.

Diversity of opinion is the lifeblood of a forum like this is it not.
Perhaps you'd like to make a point relevant to this thread.

I see two possibilities:

1. Pell was wrongly convicted

2. The judges are incompetent or corrupt.

Note that option 1 can be further subdivided into

1a. Pell was innocent

1b. He got off on a technicality.

From what  I've read about the case, my feeling is 1b is the case but I can't offer evidence to back up that feeling. I'd prefer it if 1a was true.

Clearly you think 2 is correct. Would you like to expand on that in any way?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Owlswing

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 10:06:20 AM »
Jeremy P

No, I'll take 1b thanks!

I do, however, think that, in the matter of child abuse by its priests and nuns, the Holy Catholic Church is institutionally corrupt.

ippy

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 01:32:32 PM »

I don't think most of us, so called, atheists have a downer on christians, like anything else that's almost unworthy of notice I generally ignore religions, but this Pell thing is more to do with the catholic hierarchy's approach with their track record of such a  multiplicity of proven child abuse cases there are against them.

My objections to christians are the amount of unwarranted privileges they have managed to engineer over the years and the way they all, all religions including the christians make sure they indoctrinate pre-seven year old children with unevidenced, christian for one, nonsense.

ippy.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 01:35:42 PM »
"...IS the amount...".

ippy

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »

In a very similar way to here, in Australia most of their judiciary are schooled by their equivalent of our public school system where you'll find that in most cases the christian agenda is pushed with a vengeance through all ports and the end result is that the alumni are mostly believers and then following on from that and then which part of society do you think most of the members of the judiciary are selected from, yes very much the same as here in the UK. So in turn ?
Regards, ippy.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 01:59:54 PM »
In a very similar way to here, in Australia most of their judiciary are schooled by their equivalent of our public school system where you'll find that in most cases the christian agenda is pushed with a vengeance through all ports and the end result is that the alumni are mostly believers and then following on from that and then which part of society do you think most of the members of the judiciary are selected from, yes very much the same as here in the UK. So in turn ?
Regards, ippy.

Pish and drivel

ippy

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »
Pish and drivel

Tony Blair's wife, tried to give an easier sentence to a supposedly good christian, of course that was all in my imagination.

She was disciplined by whoever it is that disciplines judges, (cant remember who they are or what they should be referred to).   

ippy

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 03:01:23 PM »
Tony Blair's wife, tried to give an easier sentence to a supposedly good christian, of course that was all in my imagination.

She was disciplined by whoever it is that disciplines judges, (cant remember who they are or what they should be referred to).   

ippy
You have claimed the Australian judiciary is institutionally corrupt. Purely it seems on your own prejudice.

Owlswing

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 06:14:14 PM »

"...IS the amount...".

If you can't think of a relevant response "NITPICK!"

Owlswing

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2020, 06:25:46 PM »

Regards, ippy.

Having lived in Oz for several years and having appeared before the judiciary there on four occasions (fined on each occasion - three for assault while emplaoyed as a bouncer at a Kings Cross strip-joint and one for possession of an offensive weapon (a brass knuckle-duster) during the same empployment (Oh Happy Days!) I can confirm that the members of the bench in those days were very much denizens of the Oz version of the UK Upper Classes and frerquently showed the same attitudes and prejudices as their UK equivalent.

Wether this is still the case is something to which I can no longer attest however.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2020, 06:38:16 PM »
Having lived in Oz for several years and having appeared before the judiciary there on four occasions (fined on each occasion - three for assault while emplaoyed as a bouncer at a Kings Cross strip-joint and one for possession of an offensive weapon (a brass knuckle-duster) during the same empployment (Oh Happy Days!) I can confirm that the members of the bench in those days were very much denizens of the Oz version of the UK Upper Classes and frerquently showed the same attitudes and prejudices as their UK equivalent.

Wether this is still the case is something to which I can no longer attest however.
Is this relevant to a claim of institutional corruption on the basis of religion?

Walter

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »
Is this relevant to a claim of institutional corruption on the basis of religion?
NO. But I found it interesting .

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2020, 06:50:02 PM »
NO. But I found it interesting .
It was but anecdotes are not data.

Owlswing

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 07:24:33 PM »

WhereTF did I say it was?

I was merely confirming that, at least when I was there, the progression through the education system to the judiciary was very similar to that of the UK!

So, as a matter of fact, were several other things, like most political appointments - I am well aware that, over the years the situation has inexorably changed, in fact, shortly after I left Oz, a very left wing Pom ex-trades Union Leader (can't for the life of me remember his name) became Prime Minister - wasn't that a shock to the Nobs!

From the news that has reached here from Oz, mostly when something nasty happens, the UK emigrants lobby has almost totally lost any kind of grasp on any kind of political power in Oz.

I have, however, found that about the one organisation that has not lost the power it held, where I lived and worked, Kings Cross, is the Mafia or whatever it calls itself there these days. This organisations attitude to child abuse was as draconian as any I have ever heard of and their response to it was usually instant and final.