Author Topic: Latest opinion poll for Westminster  (Read 14390 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: Latest opinion poll for Westminster
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2021, 11:13:47 AM »
That is ridiculous firstly what about 2019. Had you forgotten that?
Secondly, aren't you actually letting a secular Conservative voting majority of the hook? It would be equally ridiculous to say that a minority could have swung it for labour.

Hardly could forget 2019 could I?

You are the one trying to make a case for secularism being the reason for the ongoing dominance of the Tory party. I really don't think that is the case. For starters Brexit played a huge part in the last election, as in "Let's get Brexit done" etc.  Yet again the religious let us down (or not, depending on your pov) but again on the narrow margins in that result they could easily have swayed it to remain:

http://www.brin.ac.uk/how-religious-groups-voted-at-the-2016-referendum-on-britains-eu-membership/

More Anglicans support a right wing view of the world, regardless of the "secular" tories. So I do not see that an increase in religious fervour generally is going to lead to anything but more of the same.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »
Hardly could forget 2019 could I?

You are the one trying to make a case for secularism being the reason for the ongoing dominance of the Tory party. I really don't think that is the case. For starters Brexit played a huge part in the last election, as in "Let's get Brexit done" etc.  Yet again the religious let us down (or not, depending on your pov) but again on the narrow margins in that result they could easily have swayed it to remain:

http://www.brin.ac.uk/how-religious-groups-voted-at-the-2016-referendum-on-britains-eu-membership/

More Anglicans support a right wing view of the world, regardless of the "secular" tories. So I do not see that an increase in religious fervour generally is going to lead to anything but more of the same.
Yes, but there are less and less anglicans. There is a decrease in religious fervour.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2021, 11:41:17 AM »
Yes, but there are less and less anglicans. There is a decrease in religious fervour.

But if there were more Anglicans there would be more people inclined to vote Tory.

We are stuck in one of those impossible loops so beloved of Sci-fi.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2021, 11:46:48 AM »
But if there were more Anglicans there would be more people inclined to vote Tory.

We are stuck in one of those impossible loops so beloved of Sci-fi.
But there are less anglicans but more people are going Tory and going back to tory!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2021, 11:56:25 AM »
But there are less anglicans but more people are going Tory and going back to tory!

Indeed, but to suggest this is a result of secularism without any evidence is no way to carry on. Maybe they are going back to the Tories because they think (despite all evidence to the contrary) that the Tories are the most competent to run the country.

I don't see that secularism has a part to play, if truth be told I'm not convinced religion does either. People do not vote with abstract concepts on their minds.

They vote for the issues that affect them, that they care about. Unfortunately, at the last election a disproportionate number felt very strongly about getting the process of leaving the EU completed.

That's what won it more than anything.

A lacklustre, mistrusted (unwarranted mistrust, admittedly) leader of Labour did not help.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2021, 12:07:40 PM »
Indeed, but to suggest this is a result of secularism without any evidence is no way to carry on. Maybe they are going back to the Tories because they think (despite all evidence to the contrary) that the Tories are the most competent to run the country.

I don't see that secularism has a part to play, if truth be told I'm not convinced religion does either. People do not vote with abstract concepts on their minds.

They vote for the issues that affect them, that they care about. Unfortunately, at the last election a disproportionate number felt very strongly about getting the process of leaving the EU completed.

That's what won it more than anything.

A lacklustre, mistrusted (unwarranted mistrust, admittedly) leader of Labour did not help.
With all respect it should be easy to find out the reasons people vote Tory by asking them. But what do we come up against, a mist of secrecy and reluctance to self examine concerning intent which, in the 2015 election looked as if it was a veil of lies regarding how many people were actually for Miliband and labour.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2021, 12:19:56 PM »
With all respect it should be easy to find out the reasons people vote Tory by asking them. But what do we come up against, a mist of secrecy and reluctance to self examine concerning intent which, in the 2015 election looked as if it was a veil of lies regarding how many people were actually for Miliband and labour.

Sorry don't get what you are saying here.

People have been asked, just Google it, but here's one article:

https://www.theweek.co.uk/107341/how-conservative-party-became-party-of-poor

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2021, 01:25:09 PM »
Sorry don't get what you are saying here.

People have been asked, just Google it, but here's one article:

https://www.theweek.co.uk/107341/how-conservative-party-became-party-of-poor
Doesn't seem to cover the underlying love for Tories or hatred of Labour which was apparent under Brown and Cameron and long before Corbyn. My thesis is that the Tories appeal to that which is evil in people rather than that which is thick.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2021, 01:31:58 PM »
Doesn't seem to cover the underlying love for Tories or hatred of Labour which was apparent under Brown and Cameron and long before Corbyn. My thesis is that the Tories appeal to that which is evil in people rather than that which is thick.

I can't go along with that. I don't see Tories as inherently evil, or even giving in to the evil within them. I know far too many good people who happen to vote Tory to think that is possible.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »
I can't go along with that. I don't see Tories as inherently evil, or even giving in to the evil within them. I know far too many good people who happen to vote Tory to think that is possible.
I don't ascribe to the Good bloke hypothesis. I can hardly believe we are letting people who happen to be tory politicians get away with the immorality. And yet many, many people seem to think cruelty and callousness gives one a certain cachet and appeal. If it is poor and working class people responsible as you seem to be saying with your reference unfortunately the appeal could be the more likely prospect of a levelling down rather than a levelling up. A preservation of desperation culture rather than it's stamping out.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2021, 01:47:08 PM »
I don't ascribe to the Good bloke hypothesis. I can hardly believe we are letting people who happen to be tory politicians get away with the immorality. And yet many, many people seem to think cruelty and callousness gives one a certain cachet and appeal. If it is poor and working class people responsible as you seem to be saying with your reference unfortunately the appeal could be the more likely prospect of a levelling down rather than a levelling up. A preservation of desperation culture rather than it's stamping out.

Whoa there Neddy. I wasn't talking about letting Tory politicians off, just that I don't subscribe to the view that just because people vote Tory that they are the wicked Witches of the West.

There is undoubtedly a strand of the population that likes cruelty and callousness. You need look no further than the debate around Shamima Begum for confirmation of this.

Levelling up was always a scam. See Rishi Sunak's plans for Richmond as proof.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2021, 02:03:26 PM »
Whoa there Neddy. I wasn't talking about letting Tory politicians off, just that I don't subscribe to the view that just because people vote Tory that they are the wicked Witches of the West.

No they weren't but now there have been 120,000 deaths, (the NHS saved and witnessed a lot of terrible passings) we are pretty sure how many they came about...
And yet people still want the Tories. Tory voters have therefore as far as I am concerned have crossed a Rubicon.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 02:09:14 PM by DePfeffelred the Ovenready »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2021, 07:59:06 PM »
Johnson doing some heavy duty dicking around with minds.
This from the Guardian.

Return to schools could alter Covid roadmap, Boris Johnson warns
PM says reopening will have an impact on coronavirus spread and people must ‘stay at home’

Coronavirus – latest updates
See all our coronavirus coverage
Boris Johnson
01:10
Boris Johnson warns of ‘big budget of risk’ in reopening schools during pandemic – video
Jessica Elgot, Sally Weale and Aubrey Allegretti
Mon 8 Mar 2021 18.33 GMT

The reopening of schools will have an impact on infection rates that could affect the roadmap for lifting restrictions, Boris Johnson has warned as England’s deputy chief medical adviser said it was too soon to rule out a fourth wave taking off.

The comments sparked alarm from a number of Tory MPs, who insisted the government should remain open to an earlier lifting of lockdown measures.

Speaking after millions of pupils returned to schools across England on Monday, the prime minister said the number of people being admitted to hospital with Covid-19 each day was eight times higher than “the lows of last summer”, and reiterated that people must still follow the “stay at home” message.

“Of course, there will be a risk of increased transmission, that’s inevitable if you open up schools for millions of kids across the country. That is going to happen,” he told a Downing Street press conference.

People who have willingly let their moral compasses be twisted by Johnson '' By George he's right you know!!!

Others '' Then why did you order it you fat cunt? Covid knows nothing of playing the game you Eton fuckwit''

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2021, 02:57:00 PM »
Westminster voting intention: CON: 42% (-1) LAB: 36% (-) LDEM: 8% (+1) GRN: 4% (+1) via

@SavantaComRes

, 05 - 07 Mar Chgs. w/ 28 Feb

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2021, 09:21:02 PM »
WM polling for Scotland

New Scottish Westminster poll, BMG 16 - 19 Mar (changes vs 2019 Election): SNP ~ 47% (+2) Con ~ 21% (-4) Lab ~ 19% (nc) LD ~ 7% (-3) Grn ~ 3% (+2) RUK ~ 1% (nc)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2021, 05:23:33 PM »
More WM polling for Scotland

New Scottish Westminster poll, Survation 11 - 18 Mar (changes vs 9 - 12 Mar); SNP ~ 49% (+3) Lab ~ 21% (-2) Con ~ 21% (-1) LD ~ 7% (nc) Grn ~ 1% (+1)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2021, 06:21:20 PM »
Westminster voting intention: CON: 43% (+1) LAB: 34% (+1) GRN: 7% (+1) LDEM: 5% (-2) REFUK: 3% (-) via

@YouGov

, 18 - 19 Mar

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2021, 10:15:22 AM »
Youguv latest Westminster voting intention (13-14 April) Con 43% (+2 from 7-8 April) Lab 29% (-5) Lib Dem 8% (+2) Green 8% (+2) Reform UK 3% (n/c) SNP 5% (n/c)

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2021, 11:14:50 AM »
Youguv latest Westminster voting intention (13-14 April) Con 43% (+2 from 7-8 April) Lab 29% (-5) Lib Dem 8% (+2) Green 8% (+2) Reform UK 3% (n/c) SNP 5% (n/c)
Voters support for the tories shows a dreadful moral collapse in this country. Our only hope is that the voters are still the huge political liars they were when they lied about their support for Miliband, but I doubt it.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2021, 12:04:46 PM »
Voters support for the tories shows a dreadful moral collapse in this country. Our only hope is that the voters are still the huge political liars they were when they lied about their support for Miliband, but I doubt it.

Today's edition of "Talking Bollocks".

So whenever the Tories are in the lead there's a moral collapse?

Or is it just at this particular moment in history?

And are you still ignoring the fact that as pointed out many times before, there's still more agin em than for em.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2021, 01:43:36 PM »
Today's edition of "Talking Bollocks".

So whenever the Tories are in the lead there's a moral collapse?

Or is it just at this particular moment in history?

And are you still ignoring the fact that as pointed out many times before, there's still more agin em than for em.
But alas in insufficient amounts.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2021, 05:24:03 PM »
Westminster voting intention:

CON: 44% (+1)
LAB: 34% (-2)
LDEM: 10% (+3)
GRN: 4% (-1)
REFUK: 3% (-)

via @RedfieldWilton, 19 Apr
Chgs. w/ 12 Apr

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2021, 12:42:17 PM »
"Fewer and fewer".
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2021, 02:43:04 PM »
"Fewer and fewer".

Not as many as there were before, anyway.