Author Topic: VE Day celebrations  (Read 2068 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
VE Day celebrations
« on: May 06, 2020, 09:11:53 AM »
I wonder whether the much larger celebrations for the 75th anniversary as opposed to the 50th are because there are so few people left who fought in the war. The whole thing feels facile and looks like propaganda. 

SteveH

• God? She's black.
Re: VE Day celebrations
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:16:25 AM »
Are they larger? I don't remember 25 years ago, though I do remember the commemoration og the 50th of D-day, 26 years ago, with the then heads of State and government of the major allies standing on the beach.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 09:18:31 AM »
Are they larger? I don't remember 25 years ago, though I do remember the commemoration og the 50th of D-day, 26 years ago, with the then heads of State and government of the major allies standing on the beach.
Amongst other things see below.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8281015/Celebrate-75th-anniversary-VE-Day-definitive-TV-guide-plus-make-bunting.html?fbclid=IwAR3mN3Zqm7Ga6D-Xlgs-Y60GHs9rYUMP_Wlofwu419_I01QeQFwr6LCRoiM

Roses

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
I wonder whether the much larger celebrations for the 75th anniversary as opposed to the 50th are because there are so few people left who fought in the war. The whole thing feels facile and looks like propaganda.

I think that is an unpleasant comment! >:( There are still people alive who fought that war and their bravery should be remembered. My home island still celebrates Liberation Day every year and will continue to do so, I hope, for a very long time.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 09:21:49 AM »
I think that is an unpleasant comment! >:( There are still people alive who fought that war and their bravery should be remembered. My home island still celebrates Liberation Day every year and will continue to do so, I hope, for a very long time.
I asked it because a friend of mine who is a corporal in the TA asked it. And indeed in the discussion which involved a number of people who had served in the armed forces they were unanimous that the stuff that is being done for Friday is trite and dishonours those who served.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 09:37:17 AM »
The other thing is whether the vacuousness of the celebrations with the bank holiday move and the twee idea of afternoon tea, and the replaying of Churchill's speech was all about a way of propagandising Brexit.

ekim

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 09:46:16 AM »
Politically there may be a perceived link with the current corona virus situation.  The enemy can be defeated with a unified effort even if it takes six years of national effort.  The economic aftermath may be similar and take just as long.  Get ready for Ration Books.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 09:52:00 AM »
Politically there may be a perceived link with the current corona virus situation.  The enemy can be defeated with a unified effort even if it takes six years of national effort.  The economic aftermath may be similar and take just as long.  Get ready for Ration Books.
But we didn't win WW2 by sitting on our arses all day, drinking beer and watching telly, the approved anti-Covid tactic.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

ippy

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 05:50:36 PM »
I was a few days short of three years old on V E day, I've a rather vague memory of the street party and then watching the victory march in Tottenham high street, somewhere near some sort of village pump I remember this with a little more detail than the street party.

I remember the bells of the fire engines for a lot of the time and I also remember feeling put out because my parents wouldn't let me out to see them. 

ippy.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 06:15:34 PM »
I've no idea whether it is larger or not - please can you justify this statement with some facts.

But even if it is I suspect it is because it is likely to be the last major landmark whether there will be significant numbers who actually fought still alive. Once we reach 80 years, most of those people will be 100 and there will be very few of them. It is the final opportunity for those who came after to remember with those who were there.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 06:17:08 PM »
The Yorkshire Post doesn't seem to agree:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/how-50th-anniversary-celebration-ve-day-was-biggest-party-britain-end-second-world-war-2841509

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 06:21:09 PM »
The Yorkshire Post doesn't seem to agree:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/heritage-and-retro/heritage/how-50th-anniversary-celebration-ve-day-was-biggest-party-britain-end-second-world-war-2841509
Actually reading this link and thinking back to the date for the 50th anniversary celebrations I think they were a very big deal.

I remember there was a point for reflection and silence and my soon to be wife (we married later in the summer) went and marked it on a ridge near Hatch End that looks right across London. It was a lovely spring early evening just like today and I found the experience very moving - remembering all who had died and suffered in the second world war, regardless of which side they were on.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:25:45 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 06:24:17 PM »
I was a few days short of three years old on V E day, I've a rather vague memory of the street party and then watching the victory march in Tottenham high street, somewhere near some sort of village pump I remember this with a little more detail than the street party.

I remember the bells of the fire engines for a lot of the time and I also remember feeling put out because my parents wouldn't let me out to see them. 

ippy.

I am a few months older than you, Ippy, and my recollection is similar. In our street in Nottingham were two brick and concrete air raid shelters built in the road. I recall the day when a crane with a huge iron ball slung from it came and demolished them. On VE day we went to my grandmother's house (where I was born) and joined in their street party. There was a large bonfire in the middle of the road on which was perched an effigy of Adolf Hitler.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 06:28:33 PM »
Actually reading this link and thinking back to the date for the 50th anniversary celebrations I think they were a very big deal.

I remember there was a point for reflection and silence and my soon to be wife (we married later in the summer) went and marked it on a ridge near Hatch End that looks right across London. It was a lovely spring early evening just like today and I found the experience very moving - remembering all who had died and suffered in the second world war, regardless of which side they were on.
Another link to remind us of what happened 25 years ago for the 50th anniversary celebrations.

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/09/world/v-e-day-plus-50-london-at-buckingham-palace-solemn-and-joyful-echoes-of-1945.html

Again memories coming back - there were beacons lit across the country, starting in London - that's one of the reasons we went where we did - you could see the beacons lit one after another from the first one lit by the Queen in Hyde Park.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 07:31:15 PM »
Another link to remind us of what happened 25 years ago for the 50th anniversary celebrations.

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/09/world/v-e-day-plus-50-london-at-buckingham-palace-solemn-and-joyful-echoes-of-1945.html

Again memories coming back - there were beacons lit across the country, starting in London - that's one of the reasons we went where we did - you could see the beacons lit one after another from the first one lit by the Queen in Hyde Park.
Yep, good research. I must have expunged all.of it from my memory. My bad!

And there was some question then of the use of the anniversary in politics.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12108060.perth-and-kinross-by-election-snp-accuses-tories-of-cashing-in-on-ve-day/?fbclid=IwAR3PAHsZngwJUbcN2CIlSIs9Iag9-HrWTVAriSGW0n2-2xF6ov7Go8Mh9VM

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 08:08:28 PM »
Yep, good research. I must have expunged all.of it from my memory. My bad!

And there was some question then of the use of the anniversary in politics.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12108060.perth-and-kinross-by-election-snp-accuses-tories-of-cashing-in-on-ve-day/?fbclid=IwAR3PAHsZngwJUbcN2CIlSIs9Iag9-HrWTVAriSGW0n2-2xF6ov7Go8Mh9VM
The reality is that the 75th anniversary celebrations will be much more muted that the 50th - but that is because of the lock down situation across Europe. Whether they'd have been larger than the 50th under normal circumstances is anyone's guess.

ekim

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2020, 09:14:54 AM »

ippy.
I was 9 at the time and my memories are marred by somebody throwing an Army thunderflash into the bonfire for a joke which blew its contents out burning the faces and arms of some nearby school friends.

ippy

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 10:42:42 AM »
I was 9 at the time and my memories are marred by somebody throwing an Army thunderflash into the bonfire for a joke which blew its contents out burning the faces and arms of some nearby school friends.

Interesting ekim, I also remember being stood up in one of those old butler sinks being washed by my mother and the window right next to me suddenly disintegrated the my mother wrapping towels around me in a great hurry then carrying me away, that's all I remember of that event.

Later when I was that little bit older I found out that that previous event was a V 2 that took out a block of houses about 100 meters long by 60 meters and these unfortunate houses were about 90 meters away from our own house. 

This now has reminded me of how common it was as I was growing up to play on these bomb sites all over Wood Green North London, how the BBC's Alexander Palace, also in Wood Green didn't get flattened too, perhaps the large ariel was too good a fixed point, a datum for the German bombers.

Regards, ippy.

Roses

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 02:24:59 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-52576176

Dame Vera Lynn has this message to commemorate VE Day, she is now 103.

ekim

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 03:11:31 PM »

We used to sing a different version of 'We'll meet again'.  It was called 'Whale meat again?'  :)

Robbie

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 05:57:27 PM »

I didn't know she was still alive or know much about her apart from singing for troops during WWll but good for her making such old bones. Saw Katherine Jenkins on the box the other night singing one of her old songs.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 07:55:24 PM »

ippy.

My mother was three at the time and she has a photograph taken at the street party and she and her older sister are in it.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 09:40:54 AM »
A story of wartime from a friend, and yes, if he hasn't corrected it when anyone reads it, he's got Attlee's name wrong twice.

ETA: he's now corrected it.

https://whitehall1212.blogspot.com/2020/05/alasdair-crichton-last-of-ve-day.html?fbclid=IwAR174kK6F4yp_bskNrXbvlRDzveA6nQKxWzzRwUtVyyBJ5hzO_c0CqO2yc4
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:21:28 AM by Nearly Sane »

Roses

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 12:05:13 PM »
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2020, 01:42:28 PM »

Interesting that there are moves in Germany to make it a holiday