Author Topic: The death of George Floyd, and aftermath  (Read 15859 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
The death of George Floyd, and aftermath
« on: May 29, 2020, 05:51:07 PM »

This, combined with Trump's tweet, could have a crucial impact on the election, and beyond.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52844192

Roses

Re: The death of George Floyd, and aftermath
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 06:15:27 PM »
This, combined with Trump's tweet, could have a crucial impact on the election, and beyond.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52844192

If it means people are so disgusted they don't vote for Trump that poor man's death wouldn't be in vain.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 06:22:01 PM »
If it means people are so disgusted they don't vote for Trump that poor man's death wouldn't be in vain.
All deaths are in vain for the dead person, and I think that there is a major worry that this adds to the possibility  a breakdown in the democratic process.

Roses

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 06:25:28 PM »
All deaths are in vain for the dead person, and I think that there is a major worry that this adds to the possibility  a breakdown in the democratic process.

The democratic process broke down when Trump became president. >:(

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 06:39:45 PM »
The democratic process broke down when Trump became president. >:(
It really didn't.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 07:24:26 PM »
Trump's removed tweet is a quote from George Wallace!!!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Wallace

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »
Difficult to see how this division does not become one of the major issues of the election. There seems a definite pull to the extremes with huge importance in having people on the other side that can be portrayed as extremists and at the same time representative.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52868295

Roses

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 11:14:24 AM »

ad_orientem

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 11:16:23 AM »
Difficult to see how this division does not become one of the major issues of the election. There seems a definite pull to the extremes with huge importance in having people on the other side that can be portrayed as extremists and at the same time representative.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52868295

There are extremists on both sides. However, the underlying reasons for the protests are, we all agree, valid and won't nor should be forgotten in all this mess.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 11:19:35 AM »
There are extremists on both sides. However, the underlying reasons for the protests are, we all agree, valid and won't nor should be forgotten in all this mess.
Agree, but I fear that there are those who will use the argument to simply emphasise the split rather than the reasons.

ad_orientem

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 11:21:25 AM »
Agree, but I fear that there are those who will use the argument to simply emphasise the split rather than the reasons.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Owlswing

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 09:16:20 PM »

Since the election is not until November, I think. there would seem to be plenty of time for a manipulator like Trump with the help of his cronies to divert attention to something that appeals to the mass of morons and the monied that support Trump that will protect his Presidency.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 09:19:09 PM »
Since the election is not until November, I think. there would seem to be plenty of time for a manipulator like Trump with the help of his cronies to divert attention to something that appeals to the mass of morons and the monied that support Trump that will protect his Presidency.

But that distraction is this. He's already tying all of this together.

flower girl

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »
But that distraction is this. He's already tying all of this together.

Agree.  Trump loves this.  He's always done well when he's center stage and wreaking havoc.  One article I read earlier said it perfectly: Trump loves throwing gasoline on fires he has set himself.  In part, he's using his incendiary rhetoric because it contrasts perfectly with his defense of the armed citizens who protested outside Michigan's governor's capital. He's dying right now to declare war on people of color in America.  Part of the reason is he's desperate to be in the limelight with the elections getting closer everyday. 
I wonder now if the most intelligent being in this world is actually a virus.  Me

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 04:14:58 PM »
Agree.  Trump loves this.  He's always done well when he's center stage and wreaking havoc.  One article I read earlier said it perfectly: Trump loves throwing gasoline on fires he has set himself.  In part, he's using his incendiary rhetoric because it contrasts perfectly with his defense of the armed citizens who protested outside Michigan's governor's capital. He's dying right now to declare war on people of color in America.  Part of the reason is he's desperate to be in the limelight with the elections getting closer everyday.
I fear it's also a very straight attempt at making any loss in the assignment of who the others are that you can battle against.

wigginhall

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »

He'll definitely use this in the election.  "Dems support violent rioters, whereas I support law and order."  I don't  know if this will work.   As the saying goes, he's brought back the pandemic of 1919, the depression of the 30s, and the riots of 1968.   
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 04:40:00 PM »
He'll definitely use this in the election.  "Dems support violent rioters, whereas I support law and order."  I don't  know if this will work.   As the saying goes, he's brought back the pandemic of 1919, the depression of the 30s, and the riots of 1968.
All the while talking up the idea of the election being fixed.

flower girl

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 04:44:55 PM »
I fear it's also a very straight attempt at making any loss in the assignment of who the others are that you can battle against.

The Conservative media is doing the more effective job on that one.  They only post pictures of the violence. Trump is pandering to this audience mainly.  Not sure how they are misconstruing the headline story today where Trump had people in a church yard tear gassed so he could have a photo op of him holding up a Bible in front of the church sign.  Some who were gassed were clergy who had been handing out bottles of water and snacks to the protestors.  (There's a picture going around FB that shows Trump holding the Bible in front of the St John's Episcopal sign, only the sign has the quote from Trump's Access Hollywood confession.)

Thankfully, the rest of the media are reporting this kind of thing, and the heartbreaking scene of the crime that has turned into a memorial for George Floyd, which hopefully is persuading more than Trump and his FOX sycophants.

It's up in the air, but I'm hopeful for the first time in a long time that Trump is losing people who once supported him.  There's a growing number of Republicans who are speaking out against Trump.  That's going to hurt him come November.

I wonder now if the most intelligent being in this world is actually a virus.  Me

wigginhall

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 04:59:30 PM »
Yes, there are factors against Trump, he lost to Clinton by 3 million votes, he is 10 points behind Biden, there is a recession and a pandemic.   However, Trump will fight dirty.
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »
Not only will fight dirty but will set up any loss as fixed.

flower girl

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 05:51:50 PM »
He's definitely trying.  WaPo put an article out today saying election officials disagree with Trump and Barr about mail fraud.  But, as always, Trump and Barr are speaking to a different crowd.  This has worked well for him in the past. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »
He's definitely trying.  WaPo put an article out today saying election officials disagree with Trump and Barr about mail fraud.  But, as always, Trump and Barr are speaking to a different crowd.  This has worked well for him in the past.
My fear is this is a genuine attempt to subvert the system.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 08:49:05 PM »