Author Topic: The death of George Floyd, and aftermath  (Read 15868 times)

Roses

Re: The death of George Floyd, and aftermath
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2020, 10:14:03 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-53004638

The Statue of Baden-Powell, the founder of the Scouts, is to be taken down.  I had heard years ago he wasn't a pleasant man, but didn't realise he was a supporter of Hitler a racist and homophobic.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2020, 01:26:50 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2020, 10:03:48 PM »

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2020, 10:40:26 AM »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2020, 11:10:14 AM »
It would appear that the BLM activists have succeeded in creating divisiveness where previously there was none.
I am sure that the vast majority of the British public would have accepted statues and other artefacts as part of history without associating them with any idea of promoting racism.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2020, 11:19:07 AM »
It would appear that the BLM activists have succeeded in creating divisiveness where previously there was none.
I am sure that the vast majority of the British public would have accepted statues and other artefacts as part of history without associating them with any idea of promoting racism.
Then the vast majority of the British people would be showing themselves as being dumb as fuck. That a member  of the Roman Catholic church is indulging in a whitewash of past atrocities is presumably just force of habit.

Roses

« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2020, 11:35:38 AM »

And you call yourself a Christian!!!!!!  :o :o :o Many people had no idea that these statues were commemorating slave traders and racists. Now we do know, their statues should be taken down and put in a museum with plaques telling the story of their unpleasant lives. >:(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53029390

Good for the Bishop, whom I have met  on a number of occasions.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 04:48:36 PM by Littleroses »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2020, 11:37:59 AM »

If you think there is not a divide on ethnic grounds in this country, then you must be living in another country.

Fuckwitland to be precise.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2020, 11:39:33 AM »

I think you need to remove your rose-tinted specs since if you think there was no divisiveness prior to these protests, given that these protests are a response to overt social divisiveness (several other adjectives may be applied here), then you are implicitly defending the indefensible while denying the valid concerns of those who have long-since recognised that certain statues glorify and celebrate the worst of human conduct. 

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2020, 11:44:15 AM »
Utterly stupid. How you can watch the episode and not understand it is taking the piss out of racist attitudes is beyond me.

Decision now reversed according to the news today. They are just going to broadcast a warning before showing.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2020, 11:59:14 AM »
This report (ch4 last night) tells a story about how "the system" goes about ensuring people are kept in the boxes in which it thinks they belong:

https://www.channel4.com/news/exclusive-black-bank-manager-to-sue-metropolitan-police-for-racial-discrimination-after-26-month-nightmare
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2020, 12:00:59 PM »
Decision now reversed according to the news today. They are just going to broadcast a warning before showing.
As I noted earlier, it would appear the issue was more about the use of the words nigger and wog, which in the BBC versions had already been edited out previously with the agreement of John Cleese. Don't see why the same cannot be done here.

Alan Burns

« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »
I think you need to remove your rose-tinted specs since if you think there was no divisiveness prior to these protests, given that these protests are a response to overt social divisiveness (several other adjectives may be applied here), then you are implicitly defending the indefensible while denying the valid concerns of those who have long-since recognised that certain statues glorify and celebrate the worst of human conduct.
I am not denying that there was no divisiveness before.
I am just relaying what many people feel that the recent extreme BLM activity has made things worse rather than better.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
I am just relaying what many people feel that the recent extreme BLM activity has made things worse rather than better.

Worse for who?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2020, 12:33:46 PM »
Because they aren't accepting their oppression like the good little piccaninnies should. Your posts stink of racism.

ETA And to quote you

'It would appear that the BLM activists have succeeded in creating divisiveness where previously there was none.'
So you did say there was no divisiveness.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 01:01:20 PM by Nearly Sane »

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2020, 12:40:09 PM »

Re-read your own #155 - and then you can apologise.

Worse than being asphyxiated because a large policeman had been kneeling on your neck for around 9 minutes?

Alan Burns

« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2020, 04:10:45 PM »
Your posts stink of racism.

As a devout Christian, I look upon all people as God's creation made in His image and openly condemn acts of violence and persecution against any fellow human beings.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2020, 04:13:13 PM »
As a devout Christian, I look upon all people as God's creation made in His image and openly condemn acts of violence and persecution against any fellow human beings.
Then why were you blaming BLM for the division, and ignoring the racism against black people?

Roses

« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2020, 04:14:32 PM »

If humans are made in the image of god, is it black and white?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »
And can you admit as I pointed out in the post you replied to here, but you edited out, that you did in fact say there was no division until BLM actions?

Alan Burns

« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »
Re-read your own #155 - and then you can apologise.
I was talking about divisiveness relating to historical statues and artefacts prior to the recent activist demonstrations.  Perhaps there might have been some which I was unaware of - but I am certainly aware that it exists now.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2020, 04:28:33 PM »
I was talking about divisiveness relating to historical statues and artefacts prior to the recent activist demonstrations.  Perhaps there might have been some which I was unaware of - but I am certainly aware that it exists now.
There have been lots - even if you only managed to readabout the whole discussion of Colston at a fairly light level you should have been aware that there has been discussion about putting a new plaque for over 2 years. Your ignorance is just reflective of you blaming black people for objecting to celebrations of slavers.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »

This is now on i-player again. Worth watching, especially for those on here who want to blame black people for objecting to the celebration of their oppression.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b063db18/britains-forgotten-slave-owners?fbclid=IwAR0N4iFrx5eUav9zEv0bOF0kB9Rtlkxxa4I374TRdU2B4pf6rfckUwivwew

Professor Wallofski

« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2020, 06:18:06 AM »
I share Eric Weinstein's view.
There are any number of brutal and lethal killings by police on YouTube. Most people killed by police in America are white, some by black policemen. This didn't suddenly just start happening,  it happened under a black president too. The unique thing about this of course is that it was broadcast live. One of the cops was Asian and an another is Black. If that has been a black knee on his neck would the media have picked it up? There is an older video of bodycam footage of an armed officer that had been called out to some drunk white college kid who had allegedly been drunkenly waving a gun out of his window. He orders him out of the flat and onto the floor prostrate and getting confused by the cop's screamed orfers. He starts crying and begs for his life but ends up dead. The cop got off because he feared for his life.This isn't whataboutism but I'm curious,  if that had been a black kid would it instantly change from the callous slaying of a terrified unarmed man to a race murder?
This was a very timely tragedy
https://youtu.be/EQjBZVssr1I

https://youtu.be/EQjBZVssr1I