Author Topic: The death of George Floyd, and aftermath  (Read 15823 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: The death of George Floyd, and aftermath
« Reply #226 on: August 29, 2020, 09:42:12 AM »
Jacob Blake was kept in handcuffs while in hospital

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53950621

I don't think the problem with US police officers is racism so much as profound stupidity.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2020, 09:58:44 AM »
Jacob Blake was kept in handcuffs while in hospital

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53950621

I don't think the problem with US police officers is racism so much as profound stupidity.

Sure.

Which is why a black man not carrying a gun gets shot in the back seven times and a white man who has already shot two people dead can walk towards the police still carrying the gun and not get asked to lie on the ground or indeed get a knee on his neck. You can argue it is both profound stupidity and racism, but to try to negate the racism, is itself profound stupidity.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Roses

« Reply #228 on: August 29, 2020, 10:42:49 AM »
Sure.

Which is why a black man not carrying a gun gets shot in the back seven times and a white man who has already shot two people dead can walk towards the police still carrying the gun and not get asked to lie on the ground or indeed get a knee on his neck. You can argue it is both profound stupidity and racism, but to try to negate the racism, is itself profound stupidity.

I completely agree with you.
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Owlswing

« Reply #229 on: August 29, 2020, 11:01:38 AM »

Sure.

And this from the country that claims to be "The Leader of the Western World"!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Roses

« Reply #230 on: August 29, 2020, 12:14:35 PM »
And this from the country that claims to be "The Leader of the Western World"!

The excrescence, more like, with Trump in charge. >:(

Owlswing

« Reply #231 on: August 29, 2020, 12:44:10 PM »

The excrescence, more like, with Trump in charge. >:(

Jeez! You place it far higher on the scale than I do then!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #232 on: August 29, 2020, 01:02:57 PM »
In a country the size of the USA there will be thousands of police enforcement incidents occurring every day.  Some of these will inevitably involve mistakes due to genuine errors of judgement or deliberate acts done by corrupt employees within the police force.  Hopefully such incidents will form a tiny minority when compared with the total number of justifiable incidents.  There is an obvious danger of over interpreting a tiny minority of selected bad eggs within these thousands of incidents and extrapolating them to indicate widespread racism.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: August 29, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »
In a country the size of the USA there will be thousands of police enforcement incidents occurring every day.  Some of these will inevitably involve mistakes due to genuine errors of judgement or deliberate acts done by corrupt employees within the police force.  Hopefully such incidents will form a tiny minority when compared with the total number of justifiable incidents.  There is an obvious danger of over interpreting a tiny minority of selected bad eggs within these thousands of incidents and extrapolating them to indicate widespread racism.

Smell some coffee when you wake up.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: August 29, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »
Whitesplaining and whitewashing

Owlswing

« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2020, 01:18:06 PM »

In a country the size of the USA there will be thousands of police enforcement incidents occurring every day.  Some of these will inevitably involve mistakes due to genuine errors of judgement or deliberate acts done by corrupt employees within the police force.  Hopefully, such incidents will form a tiny minority when compared with the total number of justifiable incidents.  There is an obvious danger of over-interpreting a tiny minority of selected bad eggs within these thousands of incidents and extrapolating them to indicate widespread racism.

I know that you are not trying to defend the indefensible, but I would draw your attention to posts on this Forum relating to the British police.

A copper does a good deed, protecting innocents from a knife attack by an Islamic fundamentalist and not a word shows up in praise of such actions as it is 'part of the expected actions that go with the job', but let any copper step outside the accepted boundaries of police behaviour and the shit-slinging is of monumental proportions as if the bad eggs are the norm. #234 above is a case in point!

Obviously the press coverage of American 'bad eggs' is greater due to the problems caused by all officers being armed and the frequent use of those arms.

I agree that such incidents, should, in a perfect world, not occur ever, even once, but we are all, including the coppers, human and as such not one single one of us is perfect.

Only one man in the entire history of humanity has had that claim made on his behalf and he was crucified!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 01:20:07 PM by Owlswing »

Roses

« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2020, 01:34:35 PM »

Get real AB, racism is rife in the US, always has been and has got much worse since Trump became president!  >:(

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2020, 02:02:05 PM »
A copper does a good deed, protecting innocents from a knife attack by an Islamic fundamentalist and not a word shows up in praise of such actions as it is 'part of the expected actions that go with the job',

Rubbish.

Frequently they get praised when they go above and beyond what is expected, especially in the press and by politicians, admittedly the reasons for that praise is not altogether straightforward but it happens and often.

SusanDoris

« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2020, 02:07:29 PM »
Smell some coffee when you wake up.
Yes, I was beginning to think of what sort of comment might penetrate the woolly cloud-cuckoo land AB inhabits.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Owlswing

« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2020, 03:44:34 PM »

Rubbish.

Frequently they get praised when they go above and beyond what is expected, especially in the press and by politicians, admittedly the reasons for that praise is not altogether straightforward but it happens and often.

Not on this Forum they don't!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2020, 05:37:08 PM »
Not on this Forum they don't!

Possibly not. But neither do the fire service, refuse collectors, road sweepers, traffic wardens, teachers, bakers, shop workers, fishermen and any other number of jobs. It is, as far as I am aware not the function of this board to show appreciation for any profession. Occasionally as with the health workers recently appreciation has been shown,  but as a rule it doesn't usually occur.

But if it worries you I will offer a secular prayer this evening for all accountants everywhere for the work they do for us.

Owlswing

« Reply #241 on: August 29, 2020, 08:18:51 PM »

Possibly not. But neither do the fire service, refuse collectors, road sweepers, traffic wardens, teachers, bakers, shop workers, fishermen and any other number of jobs. It is, as far as I am aware not the function of this board to show appreciation for any profession. Occasionally as with the health workers recently appreciation has been shown,  but as a rule, it doesn't usually occur.

But if it worries you I will offer a secular prayer this evening for all accountants everywhere for the work they do for us.

Your sarcasm does you no favours, but, hey ho, this thread is about America's police not the U K's and I do not want to be the source or cause of a derail.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #242 on: August 29, 2020, 08:58:03 PM »
Sure.

Oh FFS.

Saying that the US police has issues other than racism is not negating racism. Will you please stop with the “you’re either with us or you are against us” bullshit.

[/quote]
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: August 30, 2020, 12:03:41 AM »
Oh FFS.

Saying that the US police has issues other than racism is not negating racism. Will you please stop with the “you’re either with us or you are against us” bullshit.

Oh FFS. Did I say you are either with us or against us ?

No, I believe I fucking did not.

Which bit of this is you not saying that the police are stupid as opposed to racist?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 12:07:46 AM by Trentvoyager »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: August 30, 2020, 12:04:58 AM »
Your sarcasm does you no favours, but, hey ho, this thread is about America's police not the U K's and I do not want to be the source or cause of a derail.

Tell you what I'll quit my sarcasm if you quit accusing all and sundry of hating the police or being anti-semitic.

Do we have a deal?

Owlswing

« Reply #245 on: August 30, 2020, 12:25:17 AM »

Tell you what I'll quit my sarcasm if you quit accusing all and sundry of hating the police or being anti-semitic.

Do we have a deal?

Tell you what, I'll quit "accusing all and sundry of hating the police" when I see a post that does not highlight only those who do not uphold the standards that the vast majority seem to be capable of doing every day and I will stop accusing ONE poster of being anti-Semitic when said poster slags off a named person with no specific reason to do so other than the fact that the person being taken the piss out of was Jewish.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: August 30, 2020, 12:27:19 AM »
Tell you what, I'll quit "accusing all and sundry of hating the police" when I see a post that does not highlight only those who do not uphold the standards that the vast majority seem to be capable of doing every day and I will stop accusing ONE poster of being anti-Semitic when said poster slags off a named person with no specific reason to do so other than the fact that the person being taken the piss out of was Jewish.
That's just making shite up.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: August 30, 2020, 08:56:18 AM »
other than the fact that the person being taken the piss out of was Jewish.

Funny that. I thought he was taking the piss out of him because he was a mime artist.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #248 on: August 30, 2020, 09:00:32 AM »
It really didn't.
Given that HC was the clear winner of the popular vote, it can be argued that it did.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #249 on: August 30, 2020, 09:04:56 AM »
Oh FFS. Did I say you are either with us or against us ?
Effectively yes. You accused me of trying to negate racism by claiming that the police in the US seem very stupid.