Author Topic: The death of George Floyd, and aftermath  (Read 15830 times)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
Re: The death of George Floyd, and aftermath
« Reply #250 on: August 30, 2020, 09:06:18 AM »
Given that HC was the clear winner of the popular vote, it can be argued that it did.

Only if you argue it also did in the past*:

Five times a candidate has won the popular vote and lost the election. Andrew Jackson in 1824 (to John Quincy Adams); Samuel Tilden in 1876 (to Rutherford B. Hayes); Grover Cleveland in 1888 (to Benjamin Harrison); Al Gore in 2000 (to George W. Bush); Hillary Clinton in 2016 (to Donald J. Trump).

*And not that I mind but why are you pulling in a post from the start of the thread back in May?!

Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #251 on: August 30, 2020, 09:10:34 AM »
Given that HC was the clear winner of the popular vote, it can be argued that it did.

The process that was in place worked exactly as designed. It did not break down. It's more accurate to say it's not fit for purpose, but then again, its purpose was to avoid the large states swamping the will of the small states, so you could say it is fit for purpose.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: August 30, 2020, 09:10:53 AM »
Effectively yes. You accused me of trying to negate racism by claiming that the police in the US seem very stupid.

I repeat:

Which bit of this is you not saying that the police are stupid as opposed to racist?

I don't think the problem with US police officers is racism so much as profound stupidity.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #253 on: August 30, 2020, 09:12:01 AM »
I repeat:

Which bit of this is you not saying that the police are stupid as opposed to racist?
You're now lying about what I wrote. Please go back and read my post again; this time for comprehension.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: August 30, 2020, 09:15:40 AM »
You're now lying about what I wrote. Please go back and read my post again; this time for comprehension.
I agree with trentvoyager's reading of your post.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #255 on: August 30, 2020, 09:18:50 AM »
Except that is allowed in the democratic process in the US.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #256 on: August 30, 2020, 09:26:15 AM »
I agree with trentvoyager's reading of your post.

Well you're famous for reading things that aren't there into other people's posts.

Anyway, let's go with this: there are many problems besetting policing in the USA at the moment. Racism is one of them as is the general prevalence of guns in the population, but overall, profound stupidity beats these out. How can it be anything other than totally moronic to handcuff a paralysed man under arrest to his bed because "procedure". How can it be anything other than totally moronic to force push a man over and then ignore him even though there is blood leaking from his ears while you are policing a demonstration against police brutality?

There is racism in the US police, but you will not be able to address it until you address the institutional stupidity.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #257 on: August 30, 2020, 09:30:39 AM »
Well you're famous for reading things that aren't there into other people's posts.

Anyway, let's go with this: there are many problems besetting policing in the USA at the moment. Racism is one of them as is the general prevalence of guns in the population, but overall, profound stupidity beats these out. How can it be anything other than totally moronic to handcuff a paralysed man under arrest to his bed because "procedure". How can it be anything other than totally moronic to force push a man over and then ignore him even though there is blood leaking from his ears while you are policing a demonstration against police brutality?

There is racism in the US police, but you will not be able to address it until you address the institutional stupidity.

Sounds ok.

Now what do you think I'm trying to say here:

I don't think the problem with Jeremyp is stupidity so much as being misguided.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #258 on: August 30, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
Only if you argue it also did in the past*:

Five times a candidate has won the popular vote and lost the election. Andrew Jackson in 1824 (to John Quincy Adams); Samuel Tilden in 1876 (to Rutherford B. Hayes); Grover Cleveland in 1888 (to Benjamin Harrison); Al Gore in 2000 (to George W. Bush); Hillary Clinton in 2016 (to Donald J. Trump).

*And not that I mind but why are you pulling in a post from the start of the thread back in May?!
Because when I clicked to go to the first unread post, that was what came up. I didn't notice how old it was. I haven't been following this thread recently.
The fact that it's happened before doesn't make it any less undemocratic.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »
Because when I clicked to go to the first unread post, that was what came up. I didn't notice how old it was. I haven't been following this thread recently.
The fact that it's happened before doesn't make it any less undemocratic.

As others have pointed out the smaller states were in some ways protected by this mechanism - I'm not arguing it is right just that historically that's the way it has been. For sure it needs reviewing, but that is not likely to happen any time soon given the polarised nature of US politics.

IS our system any more democratic where we get big majority's for a minority of the vote ?  That goes for both main parties.

SteveH

• God? She's black.
« Reply #260 on: August 30, 2020, 10:45:46 AM »
As others have pointed out the smaller states were in some ways protected by this mechanism - I'm not arguing it is right just that historically that's the way it has been. For sure it needs reviewing, but that is not likely to happen any time soon given the polarised nature of US politics.

IS our system any more democratic where we get big majority's for a minority of the vote ?  That goes for both main parties.
No - we're pretty undemocratic as well. As a start, we should introduce the single transferable vote for all elections.
When conspiracy nuts start spouting their bollocks, the best answer is "That's what they want you to think".

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: September 02, 2020, 12:03:11 PM »

SusanDoris

« Reply #262 on: September 03, 2020, 08:30:28 AM »
On anotherforum, I see there is a topic about the Kenosha shooting started by a poster who has a son living only blocks away from the Police Station there.  I shall be reading through that today.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #263 on: September 07, 2020, 09:49:13 AM »
Sounds ok.

Now what do you think I'm trying to say here:

I don't think the problem with Jeremyp is stupidity so much as being misguided.
I think you are saying you don't grasp the nuances of the situation.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #264 on: September 07, 2020, 10:03:34 AM »
I think you are saying you don't grasp the nuances of the situation.

I don't think so. Lectures from those of us who think in absolutist concrete terms are always welcome, but in the end useless.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #265 on: September 07, 2020, 10:14:05 AM »
I don't think so. Lectures from those of us who think in absolutist concrete terms are always welcome, but in the end useless.

But I'm not the one thinking in absolutist terms: you are.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #266 on: September 07, 2020, 10:14:36 AM »
But I'm not the one thinking in absolutist terms: you are.

Proof would be welcome.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2020, 10:17:12 AM »
Proof would be welcome.

When I said I think stupidity is the biggest problem, you leapt to the conclusion that I think racism is not a problem.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #268 on: September 07, 2020, 10:19:18 AM »
When I said I think stupidity is the biggest problem, you leapt to the conclusion that I think racism is not a problem.

I repeat:

I don't think the problem with US police officers is racism so much as profound stupidity.

Have it your own way though. I'm really not interested in your continued denial.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2020, 10:31:18 AM »
I repeat:

Have it your own way though. I'm really not interested in your continued denial.

That's jut a colloquial way to rank stupidity above racism in the list of problems that the US police has.

The statistics are difficult to quantify, but it appears that, given you are having an encounter with the police, you are as likely to end up dead if you are white as if you are black. So whatever it is that causes people interacting with police to get shot, it is not racism.

However, black people are much more likely to have an encounter with the police in the first place. That is racism, but if it ended there, you'd say black people are harassed more than whites which is bad enough, but it's not as bad as being shot.

There are two problems here that need to be resolved: the racism and the violence. Solving one is not going to solve the other.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #270 on: September 13, 2020, 10:27:25 AM »

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: September 13, 2020, 12:01:27 PM »
Edinburgh University cancels David Hume

https://www.ed.ac.uk/news/students/2020/equality-diversity-and-inclusion-an-update

It is as your second link notes, a nonsense. Where will it stop? Can I demand that there should be no statues of Thatcher due to her attacks on the gay community? Of course not.

Anyway, a statue is handy for egg target practice.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #273 on: September 14, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »
It is as your second link notes, a nonsense. Where will it stop? Can I demand that there should be no statues of Thatcher due to her attacks on the gay community? Of course not.
Yes you can and I think you would have a better case than the people wanting to cancel David Hume who was a product of his time. I still think it would be generally a waste of your time though.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #274 on: September 14, 2020, 11:19:05 PM »
Yes you can and I think you would have a better case than the people wanting to cancel David Hume who was a product of his time. I still think it would be generally a waste of your time though.

Well yes of course I could, but I've got better things to do with my time.