Author Topic: Germany riot: Gangs smash shops and attack police in Stuttgart  (Read 664 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Odd piece of reporting, really unclear as to any reason.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-any 53126464

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Germany riot: Gangs smash shops and attack police in Stuttgart
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 06:04:28 PM »
The link is munged. Try this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53126464

What is odd about the reporting? The story reports the facts without making any speculation as to a cause.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 06:09:17 PM »
The link is munged. Try this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53126464

What is odd about the reporting? The story reports the facts without making any speculation as to a cause.
What is the 'party and events scene'? And isn't that soeculation?

Thanks for sorting the link.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 06:21:25 PM »
What is the 'party and events scene'? And isn't that soeculation?
The BBC put the phrase "part and event scene" in quotes. It's clearly implied that this is a characterisation by the police president Frank Lutz, not the BBC reporter.

Police president Frank Lutz suggested the situation had become more tense over the past three to four weeks.
What he described as people from the "party and event scene" in Stuttgart had been getting drunk in public and adopted an aggressive and insulting tone towards police on social media.

I would speculate that it means people who in this country would be described as going out clubbing.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 06:24:44 PM »
The BBC put the phrase "part and event scene" in quotes. It's clearly implied that this is a characterisation by the police president Frank Lutz, not the BBC reporter.

I would speculate that it means people who in this country would be described as going out clubbing.
I didn't say who was doing the speculating, just that it was speculating, and yes, I get what it might mean but it's still odd. Is the suggestion that they are upset with social distancing?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
I didn't say who was doing the speculating, just that it was speculating
But your posts heavily imply it was the reporter. Don't forget you started out by claiming the reporting was odd. Then I asked what was odd about it and you started talking about the speculation. Can you see why I assumed you meant the reporter was speculating?

and yes, I get what it might mean but it's still odd. Is the suggestion that they are upset with social distancing?
In less turbulent times I would speculate that the police chief meant that the mob was alcohol fuelled by clubbing and partying.