Author Topic: Another indy poll.....  (Read 3186 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Another indy poll.....
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 09:13:59 AM »

That sounds good in theory, NS, but I well remember the stramash of the 1979 Assembly referendum, and the bitterness that lingered to some extent, untill 1997 (despite the weak nature of the proposed body, which bears no comparison to the new devolved authority set up in 1999)

I think that part of the issue with that was it was put in as an amendment. I would rather that it was part of the accepted legislation on referendums. It also gave a lot of votes to the dead due to the electoral role. And winning referendums like the EU one doesn't seem to reduce the bitterness.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:22:43 AM by Nearly Sane »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2020, 10:59:42 AM »
Some extraordinary numbers there.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2020, 11:09:22 AM »
Some extraordinary numbers there.

Not entirely surprising in my mind, given Nicola Sturgeon's much better handling of the pandemic than some other leaders.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2020, 09:14:31 AM »
And in the weird world of Scottish politics, this is the latest weirdness - the polling for a non existent list only party led by Alec Salmond that he's not said he has any interest in leading

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-cat-and-all-the-pigeons/

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 09:33:32 AM »
And in the weird world of Scottish politics, this is the latest weirdness - the polling for a non existent list only party led by Alec Salmond that he's not said he has any interest in leading

https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-cat-and-all-the-pigeons/

No fan of 'Eck, but from what I can gather, he rejoined SNP as an ordinary member last month. Unless they've changed the rules since last I was a member, they don't allow members who belong to more than one party.
Anyhoo, this new party on the block seems to be aiming to disrupt the secondary list votes, and get more independence minded members in Holyrood.
What it WILL do is simply muddy the waters, and probably go the same way as Sheridan's SSP.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 01:13:32 PM »
And now this. The ongoing 'phony' war in the SNP is only going to get worse, particularly with the Salmond inquiry, for which the choice of candidate in Edinburgh Central was a proxy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-53607198

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2020, 03:56:13 PM »
In the wake of the Brexit fiasco, I think it would be madness for any of the home nations to even consider independence at this point. The complexities of dissolving a union that has existed for hundreds of years will make Brexit seem like a picnic.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2020, 04:16:56 PM »
In the wake of the Brexit fiasco, I think it would be madness for any of the home nations to even consider independence at this point. The complexities of dissolving a union that has existed for hundreds of years will make Brexit seem like a picnic.

The majority of the Scottish nation voted to remain.
Westminster continues to ignore that - their peril and the hopeful destruction of their union.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »

How else can we detach ourselves from the vagaries (majority support for Brexit/Tories) of the electorate in England, given the relative numbers involved, where recent elections demonstrate that the political outlook in Scotland no longer favours unionist parties. 

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2020, 04:42:44 PM »
To be honest, the referendum/ independence debate isn't the question I  raised - rather the issue that the main independence party is about to rip itself apart.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2020, 07:07:18 AM »
The complexities of dissolving a union ....

I suppose that it depends on which union best serves the interests of your nation.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 08:55:03 AM »
 Latest youguv poll confirms the others; Independence at 53%, SNP at 57%.
https://www.yes.scot/fresh-poll-shows-majority-support-for-scottish-independence-key-takeaways/

Robbie

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2020, 02:39:49 PM »
I hadn't heard of that before.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Anchorman

• Maranatha!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2021, 03:58:27 PM »
Worth noting that the polls are from 1st and 8th March

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2021, 11:15:26 AM »
UK (Scotland), Panelbase poll:

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Yes: 52% (+3)
No: 48% (-3)

+/- vs. 21-26 April

Fieldwork: 28-30 April 2021
Sample size: 1,096

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2021, 03:41:39 PM »
55 - 45 in favour of independence

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-ipsos-mori-government-stv-news-scottish-parliament-b1967720.html

Not that I'm not chuffed, but I suspect things are a bit closer at the moment.
The campaign's on hold, after all.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »

Not that I'm not chuffed, but I suspect things are a bit closer at the moment.
The campaign's on hold, after all.
This is 'at the moment'