Author Topic: Football 2020 - 2021  (Read 19756 times)

ProfessorDavey

Re: Football 2020 - 2021
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2020, 03:28:05 PM »
Given the staggered start to matches, it's possible that there could be 4 different clubs to have been at the top of the Premier League this weekend.
On track for that to happen. That said for it to occur it will require Liverpool to beat Man City and I'm not confident that is going to happen later this afternoon.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2020, 10:40:17 PM »
Which they didn't. But it's an odd league now.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2020, 11:19:07 PM »
3 penalties and an o.g for Valencia v Real Madrid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54859896

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2020, 08:52:46 AM »
This is a nonsense

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54855596
It's not nonsense.

It's a consequence of the new handball law and VAR. He was technically off side because a part of his body that can score was in front of the offside line. The BBC report that you linked to shows exactly why the decision was correct.

I think the new handball rule is wrong and this is a good example of why, but the decision make complete sense to me given the current laws of the game.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2020, 02:37:41 PM »
It's not nonsense.

It's a consequence of the new handball law and VAR. He was technically off side because a part of his body that can score was in front of the offside line. The BBC report that you linked to shows exactly why the decision was correct.

I think the new handball rule is wrong and this is a good example of why, but the decision make complete sense to me given the current laws of the game.
I think NS (and I) think it is a non-sense law, or actually interpretation of the law. I think we both recognise that the decision is correct under the current interpretations of the offside rule, but we think that interpretation is crazy and should be changed.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 02:50:51 PM by ProfessorDavey »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »
It's not nonsense.

And actually I'm not sure the decision was right.

If you look at the image of the Bamford 'offside' they seem to have taken a line from a point about half way between the shoulder and elbow.

Yet under the actually laws the boundary between the shoulder and the arm is defined as the bottom of the armpit.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/2020-21-law-changes-explained

So in retrospect I think the decision was actually incorrect as well as the current interpretation of the offside rules being crazy.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2020, 07:00:18 PM »
I think NS (and I) think it is a non-sense law, or actually interpretation of the law.
I think the law was interpreted correctly, but it is a bad law.

I think we both recognise that the decision is correct under the current interpretations of the offside rule, but we think that interpretation is crazy and should be changed.
Agreed.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
I think the law was interpreted correctly, but it is a bad law.
Not sure it was. The rules state that the point that the offside line should have been taken was the bottom of the armpit. The images show that the point was taken much further down the arm. Actually if the point is the bottom of the armpit then it make no meaningful difference whether the arm is outstretched or not, that point is pretty well in the same position.

So stupid law and not correctly applied (from the image of the offside circulated on the media).

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2020, 08:42:35 PM »
This is a nonsense

The more I look at this the more convinced I am that the VAR officials got it wrong.

Look at the image and you will see that they have taken their point for offside at exactly the point on the arm where there is a darker coloured ring. Look at the later picture and you can see exactly what and where that dark ring is. And anyone who thinks that is 'the bottom of the armpit' really needs a lesson in anatomy.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2020, 02:18:14 PM »
Not sure it was. The rules state that the point that the offside line should have been taken was the bottom of the armpit. The images show that the point was taken much further down the arm.
I don't agree. But of course we could argue all day about where the bottom of the armpit is and where the line was. I think I'd rather say there was no intent and the ball didn't actually hit him on the arm anyway and so the referee should have been given discretion to allow the goal as he would have been in previous years.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2020, 05:41:13 PM »
I don't agree. But of course we could argue all day about where the bottom of the armpit is and where the line was. I think I'd rather say there was no intent and the ball didn't actually hit him on the arm anyway and so the referee should have been given discretion to allow the goal as he would have been in previous years.
If you think your armpit ends half way between your shoulder and your elbow then you definitely need a lesson in anatomy. So I cannot see how the line take was in the correct place as from the image later in the BBC article that line around the shirt is clearly some way further down the arm than the armpit.

Regardless VAR is only supposed to be used to correct a 'clear and obvious' error by the on field match officials. In no way was the 'error' clear and obvious - indeed I don't think it was an error at all.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2020, 07:49:41 PM »
How is it possible for a single person in a single meeting to make completely inappropriate discriminatory language about four separate and distinct groups - black people, people of South Asian origin, gay people and women. Five if you separate out the comments about black people from that about people of Africa Caribbean origin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54894864

It is jaw dropping.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2020, 09:31:06 PM »
I think the 'coloured people' gaffe is the least there. There was a time recently when that was acceptable and the more acceptable phrase 'people of colour' is not significantly different. The rest of it is a mess.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2020, 11:33:50 AM »
I think the 'coloured people' gaffe is the least there. There was a time recently when that was acceptable and the more acceptable phrase 'people of colour' is not significantly different. The rest of it is a mess.
Yes, I agree - I can understand why someone might have 'mis-spoken' in using an inappropriate term, albeit someone in that kind of leadership position should know better.

But his comments on gay people, women and people with South Asian vs Afro-Caribbean origin goes way beyond mis-speaking, his comments were crass stereotyping in a manner that should have no place in the FA, let alone at its highest levels. It does make you think about the broader culture in the organisation if their Chair feels able to make these comments in a formal hearing with MPs.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »
If you think your armpit ends half way between your shoulder and your elbow then you definitely need a lesson in anatomy. So I cannot see how the line take was in the correct place as from the image later in the BBC article that line around the shirt is clearly some way further down the arm than the armpit.
Jesus fucking christ. Give it a rest.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2020, 03:53:28 PM »
How is it possible for a single person in a single meeting to make completely inappropriate discriminatory language about four separate and distinct groups - black people, people of South Asian origin, gay people and women. Five if you separate out the comments about black people from that about people of Africa Caribbean origin.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54894864

It is jaw dropping.

I heard the one about coloured people and people of colour and I heard the one about young girl footballers not liking being hit hard by the ball (I'm pretty sure I didn't like it much either - in fact, I still don't) but I have not heard the insults directed at black people and South Asians. What did he say?

People of African Caribbean origin are a subset of black people, so yes, I would treat them as separate (with Afro-Carribbeans being insulted twice).

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2020, 04:01:14 PM »
I heard the one about coloured people and people of colour and I heard the one about young girl footballers not liking being hit hard by the ball (I'm pretty sure I didn't like it much either - in fact, I still don't) but I have not heard the insults directed at black people and South Asians. What did he say?

People of African Caribbean origin are a subset of black people, so yes, I would treat them as separate (with Afro-Carribbeans being insulted twice).
His comments were gross stereotyping:

On women - he said that 'young female players did not like having the ball hit hard at them' - the issue is that he is only applying it to female footballers, so your comment isn't relevant and indeed is precisely the point on the stereotyping, not implying that young male footballers also might not like it.

On gay people - he described them as making a 'life choice'.

On South Asian vs Afro-Caribbean - he said that there were "a lot more South Asians than there are Afro-Caribbeans" in the FA's IT department because "they have different career interests".

ad_orientem

« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »
Regardless VAR is only supposed to be used to correct a 'clear and obvious' error by the on field match officials. In no way was the 'error' clear and obvious - indeed I don't think it was an error at all.

Exactly this! If they can't do it (which looks like they can't or won't) then get rid of it. I would say that if you can't spot the error within one replay at normal speed then it wasn't clear and obvious and then get on with the bloody game.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:46:37 PM by ad_orientem »
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

ad_orientem

« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2020, 05:06:13 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that it's the VAR officals who make the final decision?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2020, 05:15:17 PM »
Exactly this! If they can't do it (which looks like they can't or won't) then get rid of it. I would say that if you can't spot the error within one replay at normal speed then it wasn't clear and obvious and then get on with the bloody game.
I don't have a fundamental problem with VAR - indeed I think it is good on a range of aspects. My issue is with 'clear and obvious' mistakes and benefit of the doubt. In cricket for LBW decisions there is an 'umpire's call' approach for close decisions. Something similar could be adopted, but perhaps with benefit of doubt to the attacker in off-side for example. I've mentioned this a few times, but a simple route forward would be to simply make the lines they add to the still image thicker and require there to be no overlap for an offside to be called. This would, as a stroke provide benefit of the doubt and get rid of the armpit width decisions.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2020, 05:33:15 PM »
... the referee should have been given discretion to allow the goal as he would have been in previous years.
As far as I'm aware the referee did give the goal and the line officials didn't flag it as offside. But it was ruled out by VAR who over-ruled the decision of the on-field officials. If the on-field referee is able to over-rule VAR then there isn't much point in having VAR is there?

ad_orientem

« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2020, 05:45:46 PM »
I don't have a fundamental problem with VAR - indeed I think it is good on a range of aspects. My issue is with 'clear and obvious' mistakes and benefit of the doubt. In cricket for LBW decisions there is an 'umpire's call' approach for close decisions. Something similar could be adopted, but perhaps with benefit of doubt to the attacker in off-side for example. I've mentioned this a few times, but a simple route forward would be to simply make the lines they add to the still image thicker and require there to be no overlap for an offside to be called. This would, as a stroke provide benefit of the doubt and get rid of the armpit width decisions.

I think I broadly agree with you. At least I welcomed the introduction of VAR. From the fans' perspective speed is an issue but that, I believe, is due to checking milimetres intsead of the "clear and obvious"
. I would argue that it's implementation goes against the spirit of the game, in otherwords, against the attacking side.

ad_orientem

« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2020, 05:49:44 PM »
As far as I'm aware the referee did give the goal and the line officials didn't flag it as offside. But it was ruled out by VAR who over-ruled the decision of the on-field officials. If the on-field referee is able to over-rule VAR then there isn't much point in having VAR is there?

VAR should be advice. "We think you might have made a mistake". "Let me check". " I was right/wrong". Should stay with the referee. Any decent referee will want to correct a mistake and will surely be seen to be good for that. But one real time replay.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2020, 05:50:27 PM »
I think I broadly agree with you. At least I welcomed the introduction of VAR. From the fans' perspective speed is an issue but that, I believe, is due to checking milimetres intsead of the "clear and obvious"
. I would argue that it's implementation goes against the spirit of the game, in otherwords, against the attacking side.
I don't think we want to go back to the world where blatant errors occur - for example ball clearly over the line and no goal awarded, or clear offside or on-side and the wrong decision. I think VAR should sort this out, but the VAR officials perhaps need to look in super-slow motion and static frame to determine whether there is an error, but then in real time to determine whether it is a clear and obvious error from the match officials, who clearly can only make on-field decisions in real time.

ad_orientem

« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2020, 06:38:49 PM »
I don't think we want to go back to the world where blatant errors occur - for example ball clearly over the line and no goal awarded, or clear offside or on-side and the wrong decision. I think VAR should sort this out,...

Agreed.

...but the VAR officials perhaps need to look in super-slow motion and static frame to determine whether there is an error, but then in real time to determine whether it is a clear and obvious error from the match officials, who clearly can only make on-field decisions in real time.

Speed for me. Of course it can't be instant but this checking and checking, no.