Author Topic: Football 2020 - 2021  (Read 19840 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Football 2020 - 2021
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 06:08:06 PM »
This is obviously loose change to Ozil but it's a nice gesture

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54440357

They're questioning Gunnersaurus's experience and I agree. I think he's a bit green.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2020, 08:57:27 AM »
So Scotland after a rank match and first penalty shootout are one match away from qualifying for their first major international tournament in 22 years. Pity that Serbia look quite good.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 02:21:11 PM »
Interesting stuff on possible reforms

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54499998

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 07:24:48 PM »
Big win for England over Belgium

ad_orientem

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2020, 05:53:55 AM »
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2020, 11:27:37 AM »

Belgium who are #1 in the World apparently.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »
Belgium who are #1 in the World apparently.
Why add the word apparently as if it is some how a surprise that Belgium are number one in the FIFA rankings - they have been for the best part of 2 years I think.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2020, 01:19:14 PM »
Indeed - I think a lot of us were surprised by the team England put out, but they certainly did a job, albeit with a bit of luck. Sometimes you just need to win, even if you win ugly.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »
Why add the word apparently as if it is some how a surprise that Belgium are number one in the FIFA rankings

Because it is surprising, to me at least.

Seriously, reading the reports in the run up to the England - Belgium match was the first time I heard it.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »
Because it is surprising, to me at least.

Seriously, reading the reports in the run up to the England - Belgium match was the first time I heard it.
Really?!? Suggests to me you don't pay much attention to football. Belgium have been number one since late 2018. I think anyone who actually bothers to follow football would have known they were number one.

But then you are a bit more of a rugger chap aren't you Jeremy?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:57:10 PM by ProfessorDavey »

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2020, 01:56:45 PM »
I wonder if Belgium will suffer from the Euros being kicked back from 2020 to 2021. I think they'd have been in absolute poll position to win had the tournament been held this summer, given their record over the past couple of years. However I wonder whether a further year might mean they had gone beyond their peak. The very best teams carefully plan towards a tournament and having it delayed can thrown that off.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2020, 02:54:17 PM »
Really?!? Suggests to me you don't pay much attention to football. Belgium have been number one since late 2018. I think anyone who actually bothers to follow football would have known they were number one.
Who is the number one team in the World is only of passing interest. What actually matters to me is who is going to win/has just won the Wold Cup or European Championships. I'd think of beating France as a bigger achievement than beating Belgium.
But then you are a bit more of a rugger chap aren't you Jeremy?

The Six Nations is, as you know, the greatest sporting tournament in the World.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2020, 03:00:13 PM »
Who is the number one team in the World is only of passing interest. What actually matters to me is who is going to win/has just won the Wold Cup or European Championships. I'd think of beating France as a bigger achievement than beating Belgium.
Which shows you really aren't paying attention. The rankings effectively work out the best team across a whole range of matches, competitions etc. France briefly were number one shortly after their world cup win, but since then they have drifted back, currently being ranked 2nd. On that basis Belgium are a harder team to beat. And I think anyone looking at the wealth of talent Belgium have had over the past couple of years would understand that they are worthy top dogs in the rankings at the moment.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2020, 03:02:24 PM »
Which shows you really aren't paying attention. The rankings effectively work out the best team across a whole range of matches, competitions etc. France briefly were number one shortly after their world cup win, but since then they have drifted back, currently being ranked 2nd. On that basis Belgium are a harder team to beat. And I think anyone looking at the wealth of talent Belgium have had over the past couple of years would understand that they are worthy top dogs in the rankings at the moment.

Would you rather England were ranked number one for a couple of years or won the World Cup? Would you rather be a France supporter of a Belgium supporter?

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2020, 03:03:38 PM »
Would you rather England were ranked number one for a couple of years or won the World Cup? Would you rather be a France supporter of a Belgium supporter?
We aren't talking about fans' views but rankings based on results.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2020, 03:37:01 PM »
We aren't talking about fans' views but rankings based on results.
We're talking about why I was unaware that Belgium was ranked number one in the World. Part of my explanation for that gap in my knowledge is that the rankings are not that important as far as fans are concerned. So yes, we are talking about fans' views.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »
We're talking about why I was unaware that Belgium was ranked number one in the World. Part of my explanation for that gap in my knowledge is that the rankings are not that important as far as fans are concerned. So yes, we are talking about fans' views.
No we are talking about your view (who doesn't really seem to be much of a fan) - don't tar other fans with your lack of knowledge.

I imagine most real fans have a good understanding about the rankings, will have known in advance of last night's game that Belgium were number one in the world. Not least because it matters in terms both of the competition last night's game was part of (the Nations League), but also importantly which group teams end up in the the group stages of both the Euros and the World Cup.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2020, 04:57:46 PM »
No we are talking about your view (who doesn't really seem to be much of a fan) - don't tar other fans with your lack of knowledge.

I imagine most real fans have a good understanding about the rankings, will have known in advance of last night's game that Belgium were number one in the world. Not least because it matters in terms both of the competition last night's game was part of (the Nations League), but also importantly which group teams end up in the the group stages of both the Euros and the World Cup.
'Real fans' here is a No True Scotsman

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2020, 05:09:52 PM »
'Real fans' here is a No True Scotsman
Fair enough, although the point remains.

You really can't have been paying attention if you claim to be a football fan, yet haven't recognised that over the past few years Belgium have been right at the top of the heap in terms of world rankings. Even if you hadn't realised they've been ranked 1st for the past 2 years (in which case where have you been) it surely wouldn't have been a surprise to discover they are ranked top - unless you haven't been paying attention and aren't really that interested in football.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2020, 05:12:02 PM »
Fair enough, although the point remains.

You really can't have been paying attention if you claim to be a football fan, yet haven't recognised that over the past few years Belgium have been right at the top of the heap in terms of world rankings. Even if you hadn't realised they've been ranked 1st for the past 2 years (in which case where have you been) it surely wouldn't have been a surprise to discover they are ranked top - unless you haven't been paying attention and aren't really that interested in football.

That's  just you  repeating your No True Scotsman changing 'real fana' into 'aren't really that interested in football'.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2020, 05:21:25 PM »
That's  just you  repeating your No True Scotsman changing 'real fana' into 'aren't really that interested in football'.
Which I stand by - I struggle to see how you could be really interested in football yet have failed to recognise that Belgium are one of the best teams around at the moment (even if you hadn't clocked that they were top which would therefore come as no great surprise). And for football fans based in England so many of the Belgium players are (or have been) based in England so they, and their quality, is hardly unknown.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2020, 05:27:52 PM »
Which I stand by - I struggle to see how you could be really interested in football yet have failed to recognise that Belgium are one of the best teams around at the moment (even if you hadn't clocked that they were top which would therefore come as no great surprise). And for football fans based in England so many of the Belgium players are (or have been) based in England so they, and their quality, is hardly unknown.
But jeremy hasn't said they weren't aware Belgium are one of the best teams. Just not aware that they were no 1 and that they aren't that bothered by the rankings.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »
But jeremy hasn't said they weren't aware Belgium are one of the best teams. Just not aware that they were no 1 and that they aren't that bothered by the rankings.
Nope he went further than not being aware they were top, he said he was surprised that they were top.

I get that someone who purports to be interested in football might not be aware that they are ranked top (particularly if they aren't really interested in rankings), however I'm struggling to see how someone who purports to be interested in football would be surprised that they were top. That's my point.

Where on earth would you have to have been over the past few years to be surprised that Belgium are top.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2020, 05:50:14 PM »
NS - to move on from true Scotsmen and Jeremy's knowledge or lack thereof of football I wonder whether you have a response to my comments in reply

Specifically - I wonder if Belgium will suffer from the Euros being kicked back from 2020 to 2021. I think they'd have been in absolute poll position to win had the tournament been held this summer, given their record over the past couple of years. However I wonder whether a further year might mean they had gone beyond their peak.

If you look are their team they are hugely experienced - I think 6 of their top ten capped player of all time are in the current squad, albeit not all were available last night. As good as that is for experience it does mean they have a load of players at the heart of their team are over 30. These may be players where one more year brings a decline in their abilities, rather than for a young team where an extra year may improve them.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 05:57:40 PM by ProfessorDavey »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2020, 06:34:37 PM »
Looking at the squad and missing players,  Vertonghen, Vermaelen and Mertens are the players who would definitely be at the far end of playing age. That could be significant. Their defence looks most affected by age.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 06:38:47 PM by Nearly Sane »