Author Topic: Football 2020 - 2021  (Read 19726 times)

ad_orientem

Re: Football 2020 - 2021
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2021, 08:43:27 AM »
A good piece from one of my favourite football bloggers.
http://thehlist.blogspot.com/2021/04/the-first-day-of-rest-of-our-lives.html?m=1
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2021, 03:50:26 PM »
From elsewhere:

The irony of Boris Johnson explaining why English football clubs are wrong to want to leave an established, successful European set-up on the vague promises of more riches elsewhere has not been lost here.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2021, 04:52:31 PM »
From elsewhere:

The irony of Boris Johnson explaining why English football clubs are wrong to want to leave an established, successful European set-up on the vague promises of more riches elsewhere has not been lost here.

They don't want to leave the established set up: they want to have their cake and eat it. If they leave the Champions League, it'll be because of a ban.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2021, 06:17:45 PM »
I can't tell you how disappointed I am that the club I support is part of this.

It ought to be fairly easy to kill though because it looks like nobody wants this except the top executives of the involved clubs.

This subject is clearly not about "sports, hobbies and interests".    Do the mods not consider that this has become more about international business politics, culture and interests? Should not the contributions to this particular discussion be moved to a more appropriate location?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2021, 06:36:36 PM »
This subject is clearly not about "sports, hobbies and interests".    Do the mods not consider that this has become more about international business politics, culture and interests? Should not the contributions to this particular discussion be moved to a more appropriate location?
Feel free to report the thread if you feel it is in the wrong section.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

ad_orientem

« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2021, 07:02:45 PM »
Looks like Chelsea are preparing to backout of the Super League. Been reported by BBC and ITV now.

ad_orientem

« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2021, 07:22:05 PM »
And now Man City.

ad_orientem

« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2021, 08:03:17 PM »
All falling apart now. Woodward has resigned as Man U chairman.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2021, 08:10:57 PM »
Points to Chelsea for saying they were leaving first, but this has done damage to all of the clubs.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2021, 08:27:40 PM »
And looking like Andrea Agnelli resigned as Juventus chairman.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #210 on: April 20, 2021, 08:31:28 PM »
Article from earlier today from BBC saying the clubs were prepared for the reaction. Ha!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56807310

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2021, 08:54:39 PM »
And looking like Andrea Agnelli resigned as Juventus chairman.
This has yet to be confirmed despite some good sources but Atletico and Barcelona also gone

If the European Super League was a Craig David relationship it would have  ended after he took her for a drink

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: April 20, 2021, 11:03:03 PM »
The BBC now reporting that all 6 English clubs have stepped back from this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56823501

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2021, 12:44:36 AM »
It seems inevitable that a Tory review of football will end with all clubs being owned by relatives of Matt Hancock.

ad_orientem

« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2021, 06:35:51 AM »
The short term goal has been achieved. However, if this is not used as a catalyst for real change then we will have learnt nothing. The only real long term solution, in my opinion, is less, not more, money in the game. The more money, the bigger the inequalities. The stakes have to be lowered. Will this happen? Probably not.

The SL clubs should not escape punishment. Something that hits the owners more than the fans. Some sort European ban. But again will it happen? Probably not.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:39:21 AM by ad_orientem »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2021, 08:25:32 AM »
The short term goal has been achieved. However, if this is not used as a catalyst for real change then we will have learnt nothing. The only real long term solution, in my opinion, is less, not more, money in the game. The more money, the bigger the inequalities. The stakes have to be lowered. Will this happen? Probably not.

The SL clubs should not escape punishment. Something that hits the owners more than the fans. Some sort European ban. But again will it happen? Probably not.

I don't think that the fan owned 50 + 1 model in Germany is a panacea but I think it does have benefits. This article from the Coop Party makes it clear that the UK Tory Govt's sudden interest is shallow and opportunistic.

https://party.coop/2021/04/20/we-are-and-always-will-be-the-party-of-fan-owned-football/

The recent reforms in the Champions League show UEFA are just continuing to bolster the largest clubs, and the ESL has completely distracted from it. Add in the nonsense of the World Cup in Qatar next year for FIFA, and the  moral outrage expressed by them on this becomes just stinkingly ripe hypocrisy.

ad_orientem

« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2021, 08:47:19 AM »
I don't think that the fan owned 50 + 1 model in Germany is a panacea but I think it does have benefits. This article from the Coop Party makes it clear that the UK Tory Govt's sudden interest is shallow and opportunistic.

https://party.coop/2021/04/20/we-are-and-always-will-be-the-party-of-fan-owned-football/

The recent reforms in the Champions League show UEFA are just continuing to bolster the largest clubs, and the ESL has completely distracted from it. Add in the nonsense of the World Cup in Qatar next year for FIFA, and the  moral outrage expressed by them on this becomes just stinkingly ripe hypocrisy.

50+1 would be a good start. Also agree about UEFA and FIFA. Unfortunately us fans (especially those of us who support PL clubs) aren't completely without blame either.  We have stood by too long amd let it happen.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »
Feel free to report the thread if you feel it is in the wrong section.

I thought that that is what I had done.

The post which have followed my earlier posts provide affirmation of this. I consider that this specific subject does not belong in Football 2020-2021 because it relates to the culture of club ownership and the business of football rather than the game as it is played. It would be better located in Politics and Current Affairs.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »

The post which have followed my earlier posts provide affirmation of this. I consider that this specific subject does not belong in Football 2020-2021 because it relates to the culture of club ownership and the business of football rather than the game as it is played. It would be better located in Politics and Current Affairs.

Moderator:

HH

First of all you didn't report this: there is a 'Report to moderator' link on the bottom right of all posts, and if you feel that there is something about either that post, or the thread in which the post occurs, that you want to bring to our attention then you should click on that. You will then be able to note what your concern is, and this creates a formal report that Moderators are then prompted to consider and discuss how to respond.

In this case we currently see this issue as being primarily a 'football' story, in that some of the responses have been on the basis of 'sporting integrity' and the reactions of fans and, therefore, we regard it as being it is 'on topic' in the context of what is clearly a dedicated football thread. As such, we see no need to split any posts discussing the ESL proposal into a separate thread on another board

Gordon   

ad_orientem

« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »
Here are some of Levy's comments after Spurs withdrew from the ESL. Comedy Gold! ;D

The ESL was "a possible new structure that sought to better ensure financial fair play and financial sustainability whilst delivering significantly increased support for the wider football pyramid"

"I thought the Super League would be a brilliant idea because we could compete amongst the biggest clubs within the world."

"I must stress the pressures we face at Spurs are enormous and the Super League was a chance to keep Harry Kane at the club."

"In the end we decided as a club we would in all probability be losing every week we played."

"This took some days to accept, but we have now realised we are not Elite or indeed a Super League club, we don't deserve it, this is the history of Tottenham."

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2021, 11:26:19 AM »
I don't think that the fan owned 50 + 1 model in Germany is a panacea but I think it does have benefits.
How would you even implement it? You would have to take a controlling interest off the existing owners. How would you do that?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #221 on: April 21, 2021, 11:31:25 AM »
No, I meant use the "report to the moderators" button.

Whatever.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #222 on: April 21, 2021, 11:35:34 AM »
Here are some of Levy's comments after Spurs withdrew from the ESL. Comedy Gold! ;D

The ESL was "a possible new structure that sought to better ensure financial fair play and financial sustainability whilst delivering significantly increased support for the wider football pyramid"

"I thought the Super League would be a brilliant idea because we could compete amongst the biggest clubs within the world."

"I must stress the pressures we face at Spurs are enormous and the Super League was a chance to keep Harry Kane at the club."

"In the end we decided as a club we would in all probability be losing every week we played."

"This took some days to accept, but we have now realised we are not Elite or indeed a Super League club, we don't deserve it, this is the history of Tottenham."

Wow. Of course, with £3.5 billion they could have done a lot to strengthen the club so they wouldn't be losing every week.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #223 on: April 21, 2021, 12:05:26 PM »

No it doesn't.

While there is the issue of big business in football I think the real reason why this was so toxic was the fact that the 'founders' would have a permanent place in the competition for over 20 years. So that breaks the whole notion that your achieve (or fail) on merit. If you are good enough you get promoted, or qualify for Europe. If you are bad you get relegated. That is integral to how our football works. Once you break that link football is changed forever.

So we see right now that perhaps four of those big six clubs may fail to qualify for the Champions league next season, simply because Leicester and West Ham may take two of the top four places in the Premier League. That's right and proper - why should teams automatically end up in the big league in perpetuity regardless of their quality, but simply because they are deemed a 'big' club.

So it is inherently a football issue, as it is about performance on the field and whether or not that should be linked to promotion, relegation and qualification. I think it should - the European Super League plans meant it wouldn't.

ad_orientem

« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2021, 12:53:23 AM »
This is how deluded these big clubs are.

Florentino Perez: “It cannot be that in England, the six lose money, and 14 make money. In Spain the top three lose money, and the others make money. It cannot continue - at the moment the rich are those who are losing money.”

Paying over £100 million on a 28 year old player on £400,000 a week wages doesn't help mate. Is this not your own fault?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:39:50 AM by ad_orientem »