Author Topic: Evidence of God  (Read 23971 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Evidence of God
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2020, 03:40:45 PM »

I never claimed that everything was within the scape of science to investigate, I was making a specific point that a theory that implied an infinite universe but also made testable predictions could provide evidence for that sort of universe.

Quote from: Never Talk to Strangers on Today at 08:21:04 AM

Not only is that a bizarre notion of "supernatural", which would make in mean something like "beyond our ability to investigate", it's also not strictly true. If we had the theory that made testable predictions and that also predicted that the universe was infinite, that would be scientific evidence

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2020, 03:46:52 PM »
How about talking to me about what I think?

He has talked about his faith in science.

Not in the sense that you have suggested, I haven't - this is appears to be a barefaced lie.

Your bollocks about practical confidence in science is faith in science.

Drivel.

His notion that if you have a testable hypothesis which makes a prediction you have scientific evidence is wrong.

If you have a well tested theory that makes further predictions that you can't directly test, that is evidence (albeit not as strong as direct evidence) because it is evidence that you have a good model.

Also you cannot have it that the universe is infinitely old and therefore doesn't need a creator one moment and then argue that proposing an infinite universe isn't proposing an effect without a cause.

I don't think anybody is proposing any particular conjecture here. However a universe with an infinite past isn't an effect without a cause and, as I've explained to you countless times before, if general relativity is broadly correct, the universe isn't an effect at all, regardless of whether it has an infinite past or not.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2020, 03:53:22 PM »
How about talking to me about what I think?

Not in the sense that you have suggested, I haven't - this is appears to be a barefaced lie.

Drivel.

If you have a well tested theory that makes further predictions that you can't directly test, that is evidence (albeit not as strong as direct evidence) because it is evidence that you have a good model.

I don't think anybody is proposing any particular conjecture here. However a universe with an infinite past isn't an effect without a cause and, as I've explained to you countless times before, if general relativity is broadly correct, the universe isn't an effect at all, regardless of whether it has an infinite past or not.
If it is neither a cause and effect then you are in fucking difficulties trying to invoke science then aren't you.

Stranger

« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2020, 03:56:31 PM »

Not only is that a bizarre notion of "supernatural", which would make in mean something like "beyond our ability to investigate", it's also not strictly true. If we had the theory that made testable predictions and that also predicted that the universe was infinite, that would be scientific evidence

Which was made in the specific context of your claim that a past infinite universe would be supernatural. So I'm not claiming that everything is within the scope of science to investigate.

A point I made specifically (twice) in the same post:

Science will go on investigating as far as it can. There may well be questions that never get answers...
I don't have faith that science will explain everything about why things exists (I expect it won't)...

Stranger

« Reply #129 on: September 08, 2020, 04:12:12 PM »
If it is neither a cause and effect then you are in fucking difficulties trying to invoke science then aren't you.

No. The fact that you don't understand general relativity and have totally ignored several attempts by me to explain it in simple terms, does not mean it's not science.

Yet again: in GR, time, and hence cause and effect, are part of the four-dimensional manifold. The manifold itself is not embedded in time (it can't be inside itself) so the whole idea of it being either an effect or a cause, in any normal sense of the words, is nonsensical.

As I said, a quantum theory of gravity may change that picture - we simply don't know, but it's certainly a self-consistent scientific theory that has passed every test we've been able to perform.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #130 on: September 08, 2020, 04:13:01 PM »

Not only is that a bizarre notion of "supernatural", which would make in mean something like "beyond our ability to investigate",

Meaning of Supernatural from Oxford Dixtionaries

supernatural
[ˌsuːpəˈnatʃ(ə)r(ə)l]
ADJECTIVE
supernatural (adjective)
(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.
"a supernatural being"

Powered by Oxford Dictionaries · Bing Translator

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:15:24 PM by The Suppository of Norman Wisdom »

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #131 on: September 08, 2020, 04:17:16 PM »
No. The fact that you don't understand general relativity and have totally ignored several attempts by me to explain it in simple terms, does not mean it's not science.

Yet again: in GR, time, and hence cause and effect, are part of the four-dimensional manifold. The manifold itself is not embedded in time (it can't be inside itself)
But alas Never it is abundantly clear that you are.

Stranger

« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2020, 04:32:27 PM »

supernatural
[ˌsuːpəˈnatʃ(ə)r(ə)l]
ADJECTIVE
supernatural (adjective)
(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.
"a supernatural being"

Powered by Oxford Dictionaries · Bing Translator

Well, if you take it to be beyond current scientific understanding, then what is supernatural changes over time, so everything was supernatural at some point in the past.

If you take it literally as beyond any possible scientific understanding or the laws of nature, then we into blind guesswork both as to what science may discover in the future and as to what, if anything, is beyond the laws of nature (even if we can't discover them).

Being beyond scientific current investigation does not make something supernatural unless you're going to accept that the category changes with time. What's more, an infinite universe and the idea of a universe from "nothing" are things that are currently being investigated scientifically, albeit on a largely theoretical basis (although some of the ideas have made some predictions that could be tested, at least in principle).

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2020, 04:49:14 PM »
Well, if you take it to be beyond current scientific understanding, then what is supernatural changes over time, so everything was supernatural at some point in the past.

If you take it literally as beyond any possible scientific understanding or the laws of nature, then we into blind guesswork both as to what science may discover in the future and as to what, if anything, is beyond the laws of nature (even if we can't discover them).

Being beyond scientific current investigation does not make something supernatural unless you're going to accept that the category changes with time. What's more, an infinite universe and the idea of a universe from "nothing" are things that are currently being investigated scientifically, albeit on a largely theoretical basis (although some of the ideas have made some predictions that could be tested, at least in principle).
Poor Never. Anything beyond the ambit of science is supernatural and anything beyond the ambit of current science is alas mere faith in science or more specifically, the promise of it.

My work here is Done. Thank you....and Goodnight.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2020, 05:35:21 PM »
Pidge,

That isn't what is being claimed by Christianity. Any empirical measurement of Jesus would not have yielded any scientific data concerning his divinity.

Wrong again. The Bible says that “God” appeared in human-like form on multlple occasions. That’s what Christianity claims. And if this god did that, then in principle at least those appearances were measurable events. Just pickling a different characteristic of the divine and asserting that to be non-measurable is just more evasion. 

The basis of flitting in and out of materiality is that you have chosen to so extend the described properties of the Leprechaun.

Again, even if I had so what? My faith belief = my rules. As it happens though, I do have authority for it. Wiki tells us quite clearly that leprechauns are both “supernatural” (ie, not naturalistic) and able to appear as small Irishmen (ie, naturalistic). 

In any case where Jesus passed the humanity test Leprechauns have failed any kind of test and the evidence is that people have added to the story and properties over the years. Something you yourself have a part in by making Leprechauns divine.

Irrelevant nonsense. Stick to the argument you continue to lose.

Leprechauns though are Diminutive supernatural irishmen with beards and coats and hats. You have been polishing their diminutivity and Irishanity out of the picture while conflating the gamut of supernaturality.

And human-like manifestations of a god have eyes and ears and arms and legs. How many times to you have to be told that your god and leprechauns are both immaterial when they want to be and material when they want to be? They’re different objects of faith claims that happen to be able to perform the same trick. That no more implies that leprechauns are “divine” though than ducks laying eggs implies they must be crocodiles. Different entities, same trick.     

Conflating the gamut of supernaturality. A fallacy ascribing all and any supernatural ability to any supernatural entity.

Incoherent gibberish.

He has talked about his faith in science.

No he hasn’t. He talked about his “faith” in science – you’re just doctoring out the quotation marks again. I have “faith” that my car will start in the morning, by which I mean that I think it likely to happen based on previous attempts, the reliability of the brand etc. I have no faith (religious sense) in my car starting though because I think it has supernatural properties.   

Your bollocks about practical confidence in science is faith in science.

Stop lying.

His notion that if you have a testable hypothesis which makes a prediction you have scientific evidence is wrong.

And not true. He said no such thing. Stop lying.

You seem to have shown yourself up a pair of committed dillitantes.....if not dillahunty's Ha Ha Ha.

Illiterate lying. You really should try to stop lying – maybe start with a once-a-year “Vlad not lying” day or something?   

Also…

When everything before has collapsed in a lying, irrational heap you cannot have an “also”…

…you cannot have it that the universe is infinitely old and therefore doesn't need a creator one moment and then argue that proposing an infinite universe isn't proposing an effect without a cause.

More lying. Try reading what’s actually proposed, not what you would like it to be.

supernatural
[ˌsuːpəˈnatʃ(ə)r(ə)l]
ADJECTIVE
supernatural (adjective)
"a supernatural being"