Author Topic: Evidence of God  (Read 23841 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

Re: Evidence of God
« Reply #275 on: December 17, 2020, 11:40:01 AM »
Or, if kangaroos suddenly all turned purple this afternoon (Australian Western Standard Time), sprouted wings overnight and by tomorrow morning they were all found nesting in trees before it was even breakfast time in Sydney - would that be sufficient evidence for 'God', Vlad?

Somehow I don't think putting together an outrageously silly scenario, be it asteroids that end up spelling or purple flying kangaroos, is all that worthwhile an exercise (even if mildly entertaining for around 30 seconds or so).
This is about evidence for God that would make you believe there was a God Gordon not about any parody I may make about how unreasonable your requirements may or may not be.

Roses

« Reply #276 on: December 17, 2020, 11:40:35 AM »
And that is a philosophical naturalistic opinion.

Whatever it is, it appears to make more sense than yours. ::)
"At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #277 on: December 17, 2020, 11:47:40 AM »
If Leprechauns were discovered empirically we would act as if they didnt exist...

Your reasoning for this bizarre assertion is..... missing.

...and apparently that's all being an atheist is acting as though God doesn't exist.

Unmitigated drivel. The unqualified word 'god' doesn't even have an accepted meaning - and what being an atheist generally involves is noticing that there isn't the slightest hint of any reasons to take any of the thousands of gods that humans have dreamt up at all seriously.

Magic/ supernatural is not I'm afraid susceptible to empirical means. In the case therefore of Leprechauns disappearing, only illusion or instrumental failure or electromagnetic interference
Can be demonstrated empirically. We could therefore continue  being a-Leprechaunist in terms of them being magical or supernatural.

Shorn of their supernatural abilities we could proceed with life as normal.

You're just making shit up. It's perfectly possible to deduce that something is going on that we have no explanation for, if it happens often enough and in circumstances that we can study - which is what evidence for leprechauns would involve.

And here we come to it, if all arguments for Leprechauns are the same as for God., if we have found Leprechauns have we also found God?

What is the matter with you? Is this really that far over you're head? Of course we wouldn't have found god - I can't even imagine what bizarre and mangled misunderstanding you've constructed that could possibly lead to such a silly conclusion.

We were talking about hypothetically finding actual evidence for leprechauns, so the arguments that had previously been made would have no relevance whatsoever.

You really should give up on the analogy, as it's obviously way over your head, and go back to simply trying to come up with some reason why other people should take your notion of god seriously - after you've actually defined said notion, of course.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #278 on: December 17, 2020, 12:07:37 PM »
Your reasoning for this bizarre assertion is..... missing.

Unmitigated drivel. The unqualified word 'god' doesn't even have an accepted meaning - and what being an atheist generally involves is noticing that there isn't the slightest hint of any reasons to take any of the thousands of gods that humans have dreamt up at all seriously.

You're just making shit up. It's perfectly possible to deduce that something is going on that we have no explanation for, if it happens often enough and in circumstances that we can study - which is what evidence for leprechauns would involve.

What is the matter with you? Is this really that far over you're head? Of course we wouldn't have found god - I can't even imagine what bizarre and mangled misunderstanding you've constructed that could possibly lead to such a silly conclusion.

We were talking about hypothetically finding actual evidence for leprechauns, so the arguments that had previously been made would have no relevance whatsoever.

You really should give up on the analogy, as it's obviously way over your head, and go back to simply trying to come up with some reason why other people should take your notion of god seriously - after you've actually defined said notion, of course.
So all arguments for God are the same for Leprechauns but the empirical argument for Leprechauns does not cover God.

Stranger

« Reply #279 on: December 17, 2020, 12:21:16 PM »
So all arguments for God are the same for Leprechauns but the empirical argument for Leprechauns does not cover God.

Again: what the fuck is the matter with you? At least try to engage your brain before posting foolish nonsense - or do you want to make a total fool of yourself? Of course (hypothetical) empirical evidence for leprechauns is not evidence for a god - how could it possibly be?

Also, who said all arguments for god were the same as for leprechauns? Some of them are just bad for other reasons.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #280 on: December 17, 2020, 12:22:47 PM »
Whatever it is.......
;D
You people don't even know your doing it. Such is the depth of your indoctrination in philosophical naturalism and in your case LR Channelisland shittism ha ha ;D

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #281 on: December 17, 2020, 12:31:38 PM »
Again: what the fuck is the matter with you? At least try to engage your brain before posting foolish nonsense - or do you want to make a total fool of yourself? Of course (hypothetical) empirical evidence for leprechauns is not evidence for a god - how could it possibly be?

Also, who said all arguments for god were the same as for leprechauns? Some of them are just bad for other reasons.
See reply#267

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #282 on: December 17, 2020, 12:37:11 PM »

Oh good so finally you guys are going to STFU about Leprechauns.

Stranger

« Reply #283 on: December 17, 2020, 12:44:40 PM »
See reply#267

What's that got to do with the point?

Oh good so finally you guys are going to STFU about Leprechauns.

Why would we? I note one thing about #267: you quoted blue as saying "Also not true, or at least you’ve proposed none that aren’t incoherent or fallacious. Or that don’t work equally to justify leprechauns too." [emphasis added]. As I said, who claimed that all arguments for god were the same as for leprechauns?

I'd go and have a little lie down if I were you (try to sleep it off?) - you seem to have lost the plot completely.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #284 on: December 17, 2020, 01:27:04 PM »
What's that got to do with the point?

Why would we? I note one thing about #267: you quoted blue as saying "Also not true, or at least you’ve proposed none that aren’t incoherent or fallacious. Or that don’t work equally to justify leprechauns too." [emphasis added]. As I said, who claimed that all arguments for god were the same as for leprechauns?

I'd go and have a little lie down if I were you (try to sleep it off?) - you seem to have lost the plot completely.
So what you are saying then is you will appeal to Leprechauns not because all arguments for Leprechauns are the same for God but because you want to confuse the ridiculousness of Leprechauns with God for the purposes of horse laugh....got you.

Roses

« Reply #285 on: December 17, 2020, 01:40:22 PM »
The things claimed for a god, for which there is no evidence of its existence, are much crazier than those attributed to  leprechauns. I like the idea of leprechauns much better than I like the idea of god.

Stranger

« Reply #286 on: December 17, 2020, 01:42:51 PM »
So what you are saying then is you will appeal to Leprechauns not because all arguments for Leprechauns are the same for God but because you want to confuse the ridiculousness of Leprechauns with God for the purposes of horse laugh....got you.

.-'---`-.
,'          `.
|             \
|              \
\           _  \
,\  _    ,'-,/-)\
( * \ \,' ,' ,'-)
 `._,)     -',-')
   \/         ''/
    )        / /
   /       ,'-'

You really are determined to make a fool of yourself, aren't you?

For about the ten thousandth time: leprechauns are like god(s) in that they are claims for which there is no evidence. There are therefore a certain set of 'arguments' for god(s) that fall down because they would work equally 'well' for leprechauns. Pointing this out is a valid form of argument called reductio ad absurdum.

Get a grip - this isn't rocket science.

ippy

« Reply #287 on: December 17, 2020, 01:43:01 PM »
I am of the opinion so called, 'miracles', have a natural explanation, so it is sensible to be sceptical when someone claims the god, for which there is no evidence of its existence, is responsible for them.

It could be described as a miracle if Vlad stopped pretending to not understand what is meant when posters use an analogy.

ippy

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #288 on: December 17, 2020, 01:48:21 PM »

It could be described as a miracle if Vlad stopped pretending to not understand what is meant when posters use an analogy.

ippy
There is good analogy and bad analogy

God and Leprechaun analogy Bad analogy
Brexit and sanity analogy bad analogy

Roses

« Reply #289 on: December 17, 2020, 01:52:42 PM »

Wrong!

Right

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #290 on: December 17, 2020, 01:58:11 PM »

.-'---`-.
,'          `.
|             \
|              \
\           _  \
,\  _    ,'-,/-)\
( * \ \,' ,' ,'-)
 `._,)     -',-')
   \/         ''/
    )        / /
   /       ,'-'

You really are determined to make a fool of yourself, aren't you?

For about the ten thousandth time: leprechauns are like god(s) in that they are claims for which there is no evidence. There are therefore a certain set of 'arguments' for god(s) that fall down because they would work equally 'well' for leprechauns. Pointing this out is a valid form of argument called reductio ad absurdum.

Get a grip - this isn't rocket science.
So they are both things for which there is no evidence.
Would you therefore agree with me then that that applies to philosophical physicalism, empiricism, naturalism, scientism and a number of positions from which you argue.

And in any case  Not all arguments which apply to Leprechauns apply to God.

Basically then as far as Leprechauns are concerned you are merely providing each other with atheist wankfodder.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #291 on: December 17, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »

Wrong!

Right
Heartened to see that someone from the Channel islands has the wit to recognise that. Last bit not first bit.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 02:04:19 PM by DePfeffelred the Ovenready »

Stranger

« Reply #292 on: December 17, 2020, 02:08:00 PM »
Would you therefore agree with me then that that applies to philosophical physicalism, empiricism, naturalism, scientism and a number of positions from which you argue.

And round and round and round we go, as Vlad desperately tries, at all costs, to avoid the actual point. Yet again: I'm not arguing from your favourite collection of philosophical -isms.

For fuck's sake - how many more times?

Basically then as far as Leprechauns are concerned you are merely providing each other with atheist wankfodder.

How about, for once in your life, just for a change if nothing else, actually try reading what has been said to you and at least trying to think about it? What harm can it do you?

Roses

« Reply #293 on: December 17, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »
Heartened to see that someone from the Channel islands has the wit to recognise that. Last bit not first bit.

Cheeky sod, you are obviously jealous that you didn't come from my beautiful island home! I wonder from which alien planet you originated?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #294 on: December 17, 2020, 02:14:57 PM »
And round and round and round we go, as Vlad desperately tries, at all costs, to avoid the actual point. Yet again: I'm not arguing from your favourite collection of philosophical -isms.

For fuck's sake - how many more times?

How about, for once in your life, just for a change if nothing else, actually try reading what has been said to you and at least trying to think about it? What harm can it do you?
Not all arguments for God are arguments for Leprechauns. You came up with it.

You guys have already admitted that any unfalsifiable unfalsified analogy is bad.
Start acting responsibly or you will compound any view that this forum is merely atheist wankfodder.

Walt Zingmatilder

« Reply #295 on: December 17, 2020, 02:16:54 PM »
Cheeky sod, you are obviously jealous that you didn't come from my beautiful island home! I wonder from which alien planet you originated?  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Never been. Tell me has the local council outlawed cannibalism yet?

Stranger

« Reply #296 on: December 17, 2020, 02:22:41 PM »
Not all arguments for God are arguments for Leprechauns. You came up with it.

Nobody ever said they were. You seem to be living in some bizarre parallel universe all of your own.

You guys have already admitted that any unfalsifiable unfalsified analogy is bad.

No, I've no clue at all what you're wittering on about...

ippy

« Reply #297 on: December 17, 2020, 02:29:50 PM »
There is good analogy and bad analogy

'God and Leprechaun analogy Bad analogy'

The analogy you're referring back to is about as accurate as you can get when describing veracity of belief in Leprechauns or gods, I suppose it's bad, for you, if you don't like it but that doesn't matter or make this analogy wrong.

You could say because the god v Leprechauns analogy is so accurate it has to be a good one Vlad, or the better one of the two options.

ippy.

Roses

« Reply #298 on: December 17, 2020, 02:41:38 PM »
Never been. Tell me has the local council outlawed cannibalism yet?

I don't think I would enjoy roast Vlad for Christmas lunch! ;D

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #299 on: December 17, 2020, 02:56:19 PM »
Vlad,

I’ve argued that Leprechauns have physical definitive features. Enki has provided a list of those features which would satisfy existence empirically.

So has your god when he chose to appear in physical form. So far, so equivalent then…

There are no properties of the divine that can be studied so.

There would be when this supposed divine chose to appear in material form (pillar of light, a whisper etc). This has been explained to you many times so why keep lying about it?

Also again My contention is we would all remain a leprechaunist even if Leprechauns were shown to exist just like our lives never change whenever any obscure species ceases to exist or some obscure species is discovered.

Gibberish.

My contention is that one could witness a miracles and remain an atheist.

You’d have to sort out first what you meant by “miracle”, but in principle yes. Why? Because you’d have no means of knowing that it was a “miracle” rather than just a natural phenomenon for which you had no naturalistic explanation to hand – like thunder or erupting volcanoes once were. That’s your basic burden of proof problem remember?

If you were unable to remain an atheist it would be because you would acknowledge an ability to perceive the divine.

No, it would be because you’d been able to apply a method to test the claim “miracle” that had no other possible explanation. Whether your god or the Flying Spaghetti Monster had performed said miracle would of course be a different matter entirely.

Answered prayer is different because you may have been experimentally involved.

Nope, no idea.

If Leprechauns were discovered empirically we would act as if they didnt exist and apparently that's all being an atheist is acting as though God doesn't exist.

More gibberish. If leprechauns (or your god) were discovered empirically (ie, when either chose to be in material mode) why would anyone ignore either finding?

Magic/ supernatural is not I'm afraid susceptible to empirical means. In the case therefore of Leprechauns disappearing, only illusion or instrumental failure or electromagnetic interference
Can be demonstrated empirically. We could therefore continue  being a-Leprechaunist in terms of them being magical or supernatural.

Utter bollocks. You claim a god that flits between non-material and non-material states. I claim leprechauns that flit between material and non-material states. Both are faith claims, and there are various eye-witness accounts for each when in material form.

Shorn of their supernatural abilities we could proceed with life as normal.

Who said they’d be shorn of their supernatural abilities?

But, even if we did have evidence of them disappearing so what?

What are we talking about here – leprechauns or your god?

And here we come to it, if all arguments for Leprechauns are the same as for God., if we have found Leprechauns have we also found God?

First, no-one said “all” arguments. What’s only ever been said is that WHEN the argument used to justify the belief “god” applies equally to justify the belief “leprechauns”, then it’s probably a bad argument.

Second, this is more bollocks: the same argument will often justify different, equally valid outcomes.

Third, even if you weren’t flat wrong again you seem to have painted yourself into the corner of “if the argument to justify the claim god also justifies the claim leprechauns, then there are leprechauns.” Is that really where you want to be?     

The empirical arguments for leprechauns cover leprechauns when they’re material, and the empirical arguments for god cover god when he’s material. There are no arguments to justify the belief in either when they choose (supposedly) to be non-material That’s your problem.

More pigeon chess. He’s not saying that at all.

So they are both things for which there is no evidence.

When in non-material form, yes. If you think witness accounts is evidence though, then there’s some of that for both when they have been in material form. 

No. First because you just lie about what some of these terms mean, and second because no-one here subscribes to the absolutist versions of them despite your endless misrepresentations about that.

Most seem to, but in any case has anyone said that they do?

And you spit the dummy again when you’ve run out of road again. ‘twas ever thus. 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 02:59:59 PM by bluehillside Retd. »
"Don't make me come down there."

God