Author Topic: The Long History of How Jesus Came To Resemble a White European  (Read 1511 times)

Owlswing

The Long History of How Jesus Came To Resemble a White European
« on: September 26, 2020, 04:53:28 AM »

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-long-history-of-how-jesus-came-to-resemble-a-white-european?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

An interesting article that, to me anyway, calls into question an awful lot of what I, from childhood to mid-teenage, was taught about Christ.

If his appearance can be 'mucked-about-with' in this fashion and to this extent in the period mentioned what chance has the Bible got of being in any way accurate?

The number of painters being minuscule compared to the number of writers on the same subject.

)O(   
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

ippy

Re: The Long History of How Jesus Came To Resemble a White European
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 06:59:03 PM »
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-long-history-of-how-jesus-came-to-resemble-a-white-european?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

An interesting article that, to me anyway, calls into question an awful lot of what I, from childhood to mid-teenage, was taught about Christ.

If his appearance can be 'mucked-about-with' in this fashion and to this extent in the period mentioned what chance has the Bible got of being in any way accurate?

The number of painters being minuscule compared to the number of writers on the same subject.

)O(

When relating to fictional figures why would it matter what the characters look like, whatever they look like surly that would be up to the author to decide.

ippy

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 11:13:03 PM »
When relating to fictional figures why would it matter what the characters look like, whatever they look like surly that would be up to the author to decide.

ippy
The legacy of Jesus becoming a white european rather than someone of middle eastern extraction (as was certainly the reality) is huge, and of course hugely negative for people who happen not to be of white european origin.

Owlswing

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 04:52:34 AM »

When relating to fictional figures why would it matter what the characters look like, whatever they look like surly that would be up to the author to decide?

ippy

Because the subject of the portraits is NOT being depicted as a fictional character, all the pictures are supposed to show Jesus Christ, the son of God and the Saviour of all man-kind as he was!

Quite obviously they do not but are still named as being portraits of Christ, yet not one of them, regardless of who painted them or when makes the slightest attempt to make him look like a Palestinian Jew.

The Bible is supposed to present, presents, Christ as the living, breathing Saviour of Mankind!

Why are there no portraits of him made during his ministry, no portrait made by someone who was at the Feeding od the Five Thousand, none by someone who actually witnessed the clearing of the Temple.

Personally I am convinced that Christ is a fictional character, but millions, if not billions, of Christians are convinced that he is, was, real. So why, like the Gospels, were all the records of this monumentally inportant character, basis of the Christian faith, written or painted post-mortem, in the case of the paintings one to two thousand years post-mortem!? 

)O(

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Owlswing

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 04:55:05 AM »

The legacy of Jesus becoming a white European rather than someone of middle eastern extraction (as was certainly the reality) is huge, and of course hugely negative for people who happen not to be of white European
origin.

Anti-Semitism?

)O(

ippy

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »
The legacy of Jesus becoming a white european rather than someone of middle eastern extraction (as was certainly the reality) is huge, and of course hugely negative for people who happen not to be of white european origin.

Yes it would look more correct if the character of Jesus was depicted as though he were of middle eastern extraction whether he existed or not.

ippy

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 04:54:40 PM »
Quote from: Owlswing link=topic=17871.msg814576#msg814576 date=16Anti-Semitis01178905
m?

)O(

I truly don't understand Antisemitism, it'd make more sense to be Pro-Semitic, 25% so I hear, of all the Nobel prises have been taken by people that happen to be Jewish, even if I'm a few percent out it's still a pretty good contribution to the overall figures, I'm not Jewish myself but I'd rather take them as friends than any kind of foe.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 05:00:35 PM »
Anti-Semitism?

)O(
Not just anti semitism - a whole range of prejudices whereby people who are not of white european extraction have been considered to be inferior.

Spud

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2020, 08:17:53 PM »

)O(

Jesus' Jewishness is an important part of the story, so to omit this in a painting of him does reduce the painting's accuracy, but doesn't make the Bible itself any more or less accurate.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 10:17:33 PM »
Jesus' Jewishness is an important part of the story, so to omit this in a painting of him does reduce the painting's accuracy, but doesn't make the Bible itself any more or less accurate.
I suspect the notion of a blond, blue eyed Jesus is about as accurate as the purported claims in the bible about him.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 10:09:05 AM »
Anti-Semitism?

)O(

People make their gods in their own image.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 09:33:39 PM »
People make their gods in their own image.
Love the irony in this. Nice one.
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

ad_orientem

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 09:09:23 AM »
This happens all over the world. Jesus is portrayed having the same physical characteristics as the people from that particular place. You'll find images of black Jesus', Asian Jesus' etc. Don't see what the problem is.
Peace through superior firepower.
Do not believe anything until the Kremlin denies it.

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »
This happens all over the world. Jesus is portrayed having the same physical characteristics as the people from that particular place. You'll find images of black Jesus', Asian Jesus' etc. Don't see what the problem is.
Sue you will find examples, but I think that is the exception not the rule. I think largely across Africa Jesus is depicted as white not black. In the Philippines Jesus is typically portrayed as a white European not as a Filipino etc etc.