Author Topic: British Theism And Atheism  (Read 13203 times)

ippy

Re: British Theism And Atheism
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2020, 12:32:29 PM »
Okay. Sam Harris' Diamond In The Backyard Analogy

I'm sorry. I don't get why so many people, even Peterson, see this man as an intellectual. He has never made sense to me. Maybe that's my personal perspective. Some years ago Steve Wells, owner of The Skeptic's Annotated Bible posted the announcement of Sam Harris' Reason Project on the SAB forum. They needed contributors on the site. So I went over there and it was an odd setup. A website like Wikipedia in the sense that they needed people to publish content. So I signed up and started publishing articles in response to the project which was really just the SAB in another form. For about 3 months I published several of these articles and then one day was unable to do so. I took it up on their forum and was told that they didn't want opposing opinions.

Well, why in the hell didn't you say that from the start? Every time I hear Harris talk I just think to myself. I don't get it. He's a doofus. Like Dawkins.

His analogy of the Diamond doesn't surprise me. It's obtuse. Because organized religion is obtuse. Christianity is moronic. So he goes after the Christian, happy in their blissful ignorance. Meanwhile what about the real issue? What is beyond Christianity? Look at Harris' Reason Project. All but gone. The SAB remains but the forum is dead. So dead Wells has removed it's link from the website. And Wells' Dwindling In Unbelief has pretty much run it's course. Wells posts once in a while.

The SAB is looking good. Polished up a bit after the latest book release. All of these Atheists making money off God. Promoting their propaganda, causing Christians to question their beliefs . . . is a good thing. It weeds out the unfaithful for one thing, but perhaps more importantly it exposes not only the pathological stupidity of Christianity but that of atheism as well! If the atheists are so overeducated that they can't do anything more than regurgitate the propaganda of morons like Harris and Dawkins they shall never rise above the stupidity of Christianity but rather float in its stagnant festering waters until someone, and I'm not naming names, pulls the plug. Yay!!! What a plan.

The atheists are digging up their back yards looking for pottery shards and bone fragments of mythological apish ancestors like Piltdown Man, Aegyptopithecus, Ramapithecus and Australopithecus completely oblivious to the fact that their own mythology, a failed metaphysical experiment, came from the same Greek philosophy as that of the Christians. Empedocles, Anaximander, Anaxagoras and Aristotle.

For the obvious sociopolitical ideological possession. Wonderful tool in the hands of idiots. Wonderful. It's like those pest control substances that the pests themselves distribute in the nests of their squabbling mice people or el loco la cucaracha.

You could be worrying too much if you're one of those that think there is something more out there in the unknown sphere of our known universe, there certainly will be, sure there is, in the mean time like good old Douglas Addams says enjoy your garden without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it.

Suggestions that there is anything particularity deep or there's something that highly intellectual about claiming knowledge of this unnamed whatever, the lack of evidence shows we just don't know will do, there's no need to waffle away like this forum's Nicolas Marks, whatever is conveyed by whoever it'll still have little more content, punch or special meaning than one of Nicks posts.

ippy.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 04:11:42 PM by ippy »

SusanDoris

« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2020, 03:16:10 PM »
I'm just wondering whether TS has had many people reading and signing up to his forum and responding to his several topics.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

ippy

« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2020, 04:08:41 PM »
I'm just wondering whether TS has had many people reading and signing up to his forum and responding to his several topics.

Just another Woo-ologist with a few more fancy words that have about as much meaning to them as the stuff that we get from all of the others.

ippy

Owlswing

« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2020, 05:29:36 PM »

Just another Woo-ologist with a few more fancy words that have about as much meaning to them as the stuff that we get from all of the others.

ippy

Why do I get the feeling that Spud or Alan Burns or another of that ilk has reincarnated himself as a Yank?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 05:38:26 PM by Owlswing »
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2020, 09:43:12 PM »
I'll say it again. I've defined the word god, given you the meaning, examples, etymology. You've disagreed.

Your turn.

WHAT IS A GOD!?

Don't say anything else until you answer that. That means anyone.
God is an electric kettle on the far side of the moon
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2020, 10:14:10 PM »
Splashy,

According to TS, provided you “venerate” that idea it probably is.

And if I don’t buy that presumably that makes me an atheist.

It’s that unhinged. 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Owlswing

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2020, 02:23:42 AM »

Splashy,

According to TS, provided you “venerate” that idea it probably is.

And if I don’t buy that presumably that makes me an atheist.

It’s that unhinged.

It is that . . . or it is him that . . . ?

)O(
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

ippy

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2020, 12:19:51 PM »

I'd say that first cup of tea in the morning is as near as you get to that imaginary feeling. (Any true Englishman).

ippy

ippy

« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2020, 01:12:38 PM »
Why do I get the feeling that Spud or Alan Burns or another of that ilk has reincarnated himself as a Yank?

I didn't know TS was an American but I have to say when you listen to that American phone in programme on You Tube Mat Dillahunty, well do I need say any more?

ippy.

SusanDoris

« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2020, 01:42:13 PM »
Number of posts from TS much lower … is he disappearing already, I wonder?Perhaps he thinks we are not up to his particular standards! I wonder if, then, he awards himself a sort of victory … …

Perhaps he will post and let us know.

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
    • Atheist Annotated Bible
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2020, 04:00:32 PM »
Number of posts from TS much lower … is he disappearing already, I wonder?Perhaps he thinks we are not up to his particular standards! I wonder if, then, he awards himself a sort of victory … …

Perhaps he will post and let us know.

Sure. And I apologize. I can't post as often as I like. As for you not being up to my particular standards, that isn't true at all. I think this is the best bunch of atheists as far as discussion goes that I've seen in a long time. No problem there, but I've always been of the opinion that atheists can not grasp the simple concept of god. I've tested this on many forums over a period of about 30 years. Y'all (as we Americans say) did surprise me at one point by almost getting it, but no surprises there.

Victory. No. I don't think like that. There is no victory to be had here. I'm past the ego posting. A good conversation is my only victory and I've had some here. I hope that you all have as well.
“Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.” ― Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2020, 04:01:10 PM »
I didn't know TS was an American but I have to say when you listen to that American phone in programme on You Tube Mat Dillahunty, well do I need say any more?

ippy.

Yeah. Ya kinda do.
“Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.” ― Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2020, 04:07:45 PM »

God is anything you want it to be. God is anything or anyone that is . . . I'm not going to say it again. What puts you off is the Scribal superstitious removal of God's personal name. You think God is God, when God can be any god. Jehovah is a god. Jehovah is my God. Baal is a god. Satan is the god of the system of things, aka, the world. Moses was made God by God to Pharaoh and Aaron. God called the judges gods.

How do you explain all of this?

It is really very simple. Atheism is the disbelief or lack of belief in God (okay who is the God in question? The God of western culture, of the Bible, Jehovah) and gods. So who are the gods? There is no clarification there so your atheist ideology dictates to you that no gods can exist. That isn't true. 

The only problem I have with atheism is that "or gods" at the end of the definition.

Who are the gods?

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2020, 04:11:41 PM »

Because, though atheist will be quick to point out that atheists have nothing in common they are equally quick to point out the commonalities of their opposition. Not particularly bright, atheists, really.

You dismiss me easily with Spud or Alan Burns or Vlad. Tack that on me. Makes no difference to me. You are all just Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins. That isn't a compliment.

So we're the same sort of idiots. You should have figured that out long ago.

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2020, 04:13:44 PM »

ippy

Still waiting for you to define god. Might as well ask the cat? C'mon. You can do it. Is there a child here I can ask? A JW child perhaps, of 4 or 5 years of age. Ask them. They can tell you. It's easy.

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2020, 04:17:40 PM »

[Laughs] No.

No one knows or cares about my website. It started out as a joke on another forum and it's only seriously been worked on for a couple months. I could take it down within the hour. Some people on another forum I was on thought that you had to spend money to get a site up. I showed them they were wrong. That's how it started. I've had dozens of them. I get bored and I take them down. I get bored and I put them up. Something to do.

Don't worry about the Christian propaganda in opposition to Atheist propaganda. There's room for everyone. 

SusanDoris

« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2020, 04:53:48 PM »
TS

Well, it is always interesting to read posts so I have read (listened to) the above.

It seems you and I have one thing in common - it is ever and always the discussion on any forum board which interests me, whether the topic concludes with some kkind of consensus or simply tails off.

splashscuba

• might be an atheist, I just don't believe in gods
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2020, 05:21:59 PM »
Don't worry about the Christian propaganda in opposition to Atheist propaganda. There's room for everyone.
Atheist propaganda:
I don't believe in gods
That's it
I have an infinite number of belief systems cos there are an infinite number of things I don't believe in.

I respect your right to believe whatever you want. I don't have to respect your beliefs.

SusanDoris

« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2020, 05:26:41 PM »
Atheist propaganda:
I don't believe in gods
That's it
Yes, it would be interesting to see dsome other examples of this 'atheist propaganda', wouldn't it! Perhaps a link to some of it?

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2020, 05:27:24 PM »
Atheist propaganda:
I don't believe in gods
That's it

Nonsense. If that were it you would have only 1 post.

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2020, 05:28:25 PM »
Yes, it would be interesting to see dsome other examples of this 'atheist propaganda', wouldn't it! Perhaps a link to some of it?

What is a god? Do any exist?

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2020, 05:39:32 PM »

I don't know but I've never seen a credible of a definition of a god (colloquial sense aside) together with a good reason to take it seriously, hence the lack of belief called "atheism".

This isn't rocket science.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »
TS,

Sure. And I apologize. I can't post as often as I like. As for you not being up to my particular standards, that isn't true at all. I think this is the best bunch of atheists as far as discussion goes that I've seen in a long time. No problem there, but I've always been of the opinion that atheists can not grasp the simple concept of god. I've tested this on many forums over a period of about 30 years. Y'all (as we Americans say) did surprise me at one point by almost getting it, but no surprises there.

Does it not occur to you that the problem here isn’t that atheists “cannot grasp the simple concept of god”, but rather that by smooshing together very different concepts of god you’ve made the claim of “a” concept incoherent?

Victory. No. I don't think like that. There is no victory to be had here. I'm past the ego posting. A good conversation is my only victory and I've had some here. I hope that you all have as well.

You could make it a better conversation if you at least acknowledged the objection to what you’re doing, and then try to address it.

God is anything you want it to be. God is anything or anyone that is . . . I'm not going to say it again. What puts you off is the Scribal superstitious removal of God's personal name. You think God is God, when God can be any god. Jehovah is a god. Jehovah is my God. Baal is a god. Satan is the god of the system of things, aka, the world. Moses was made God by God to Pharaoh and Aaron. God called the judges gods.

How do you explain all of this?

We don’t need to – it’s incoherent.   

It is really very simple. Atheism is the disbelief or lack of belief…

Again, just the latter…

… in God (okay who is the God in question? The God of western culture, of the Bible, Jehovah) and gods.

No, just the gods proposed by deists and by theists - in both cases “supernatural”, and in the latter case the ones able at will supposedly to intervene in human affairs.

So who are the gods? There is no clarification there…

Yes there is - the gods of deists and of theists.

…so your atheist ideology…

There’s no such thing as "atheist ideology”. If you want to call adherence to reason and logic an “ideology” though, that applies to vastly more ”-isms” than to just atheism.

…dictates to you that no gods can exist.

No it doesn’t. What it “dictates” - all it dictates in fact - is that the atheist has been given no sound reasons to believe there to be gods. 

That isn't true.

Straw men generally aren’t. 

The only problem I have with atheism is that "or gods" at the end of the definition.

No, your actual problem with atheism is either that you don’t understand what it entails, or you choose to mischaracterise what it entails.

Who are the gods?

Any proposed by deists and by theists.

Because, though atheist will be quick to point out that atheists have nothing in common they are equally quick to point out the commonalities of their opposition. Not particularly bright, atheists, really.

Bright enough to be right though – ie, on logically firm ground.

You dismiss me easily with Spud or Alan Burns or Vlad. Tack that on me. Makes no difference to me. You are all just Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins. That isn't a compliment.

I’d take it as one.

So we're the same sort of idiots. You should have figured that out long ago.

That “so” is a non sequitur – another fallacy.

Still waiting for you to define god. Might as well ask the cat? C'mon. You can do it. Is there a child here I can ask? A JW child perhaps, of 4 or 5 years of age. Ask them. They can tell you. It's easy.

Why are you waiting for other people to define for you whatever it is that you believe in?

Shifting of the burden of proof is another fallacy you know… or perhaps you don’t? 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

ekim

« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2020, 05:52:29 PM »
A god is an object of worship usually to satisfy a desire or nullify a fear.  An example of one is Sol, the sun.  Many people go on pilgrimages to sun soaked beaches on the Mediterranean coast where they prostrate themselves on towels to soak up its warmth.  The Germans even place their prayer towels in position the night before.

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2020, 06:00:51 PM »
I don't know but I've never seen a credible of a definition of a god (colloquial sense aside) together with a good reason to take it seriously, hence the lack of belief called "atheism".

This isn't rocket science.

No it isn't. Colloquially speaking gods exist. Colloquially speaking gods don't exist. Do gods exist? Yes. You have to be specific. Did the god Zeus literally exist? No. Does Jehovah literally exist. No one knows for sure. Some have faith that he does and some have faith that he doesn't.

The Sumerian king Tammuz, Jesus and Moses were gods. Did they exist? Who knows for sure?

Eric Clapton, idols and respected or influential people are called gods. Are these the gods in the definition of atheism? They exist. Doesn't matter if the reference is colloquial. Makes no difference at all.